Winter is Coming!!! (For prepping squirrels)

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I have rewaxed my jacket, and moaned about how woolly Dave is already.

OMG, my pony is so fluffy too. I swear, his coat starts coming through exactly on the Equinox 🤣 I clipped a couple of weeks ago and my barefoot trimmer still commented on how woolly he is ...

I'm still largely trying to ignore winter is approaching.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I’ve got plenty of rock salt (think my dad ordered a lifetime supply a decade ago).

Rats - screwfix bait boxes. I hate poison as it’s not a nice death and so bad for anything that eats them/it. Just need a little jam or peanut butter at the back of the box - only a rodent could reach it so very safe. The little plastic traps are great too I place them under roof tiles around the yard so nothing else can get near them.

Bedding I do need to order, I had 50 bales of cardboard delivered December 2021 then lost fig and Rooni is so tidy I’ve still got 5 bales left.

Feed I get that by the pallet and I went to school with my haylage supplier so that’s not an issue. I do need to power wash roonis stable and think I might do that Sunday morning if the weather is ok.

Rugs are all ready to go and clipper blades ready to be used I had those sharpened earlier this year. I will be clipping before nationals second week of sept.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I honestly try not to prepare for winter these days. We rarely seem to get bad snow like we used to, most winters now are like long autumns with just a few days of snow usually. Last winter there was barely any frost (Im NE Scotland). Only thing Im doing is painting and sealing all my house windows and horse-wise Im adapting an old shed we have so I can fit 2 round bales of hay in it - I now have a horse with asthma so have to soak hay which will be a pain in the winter... at least be handy if I can have a dry place to put the round bales.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I have a new bedroom window, old one the double glazing had blown so I am now going go be warm.

Horse is all sorted. Just need to stock up on chaff and have another sort out in the tack room.

Though i do need a new winter long coat if anyone has anu suggestions. Warm ish but i layer up so needs to fit jumper and body warmer under.

Shoei

Visit site
I have a new bedroom window, old one the double glazing had blown so I am now going go be warm.

Horse is all sorted. Just need to stock up on chaff and have another sort out in the tack room.

Though i do need a new winter long coat if anyone has anu suggestions. Warm ish but i layer up so needs to fit jumper and body warmer under.

I bought the long LeMieux coat last year for 'smart' horse things and this is lovely and warm.

Shoei

Visit site
My 16 bales of straw have just been delivered, so that's one job down.

We won't get a 2nd cut of hay this year so will see how we manage with June's cut, I expect I'll need to buy some in but will probably get haylage as more availability

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Does anyone have any good sources for bulk shaving deliveries? Specifically that would deliver to Essex.

This thread has given me a bit of a prod to get my organisation sorted.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We power-washed the field-shelter last week and put the first coat of paint on the inside yesterday.
We have someone booked to put up permanent fencing, so that we can get rid of sagging electric that stretches every time the wind blows.

Shoei

Visit site
Slight update from me.
My straw was delivered yesterday, 16 large bales should see me through winter I hope.
I've sorted the log store so that should be enough for this winter, just need to stain and stock up the 2nd store.
I really need to sort out my rugs and I WILL DEFINETLY, be washing all the fly rugs and putting them away clean!!!! Not leaving them hanging about all winter again!

southerncomfort

Visit site
Got my winter hay in.

Had 2 sycamores cut down and kept the wood for the log burner. Apparently sycamore wood seasons pretty quickly.

Clipper blades are sharpened.

Just need to do a bit of maintenance work on the field shelter, and pick up some straw.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
We're not going to make a load of duck confit this autumn as we still have a good stash left from last year.

I'll buy in another four kg or so each of flour, rice, pearl barley and walnuts and that should do us for reserves of dry food so that we can live easily in the event of either another COVID lockdown or a patch of bad weather. Supposedly this winter could be a harsh el niño event.

Last edited:

Jambarissa

Visit site
I need a plan for when the water freezes. Last year I had containers full in the horsebox, but it was frozen shut. I don't have enough space inside to have them around but really I just need to look at the weather forecast and fill at least one and put in back corner of the stable of the sensible horse.

I have a pallet of wood pellets already and am going to buy shaving for the top pretty much as I need them. Wood supply chains seem to be back to normal now and I think demand has reduced a little with people changing to straw to save money.

We did get a second cut of wrapped hay, waiting to see what it's like but hopefully suitable. I don't feed much hard feed so will buy as needed.

Rugs are mainly clean, I bought a larger washer and swapped most rugs for lightweight and 50g then bought 50g and 100g liners so I can pretty much wash and reproof myself.

Clipper blades need sharpening.

Need to have a moan at YO about the larger holes in the roof (listed building 😬) to see if he can patch them.

What else is there? I can't do much about muddy gateway but more stressful horse was pts this summer and other 2 don't actually mind being in so I might have them in a bit more in the worst weather.

I've bought a new waterproof longer jacket and have plenty of layers to go under it. I found the perfect waterproof yard gloves last year so will stock up on them. I keep meaning to buy a waterproof riding skirt, I'm a fair weather rider anyway but less likely to abandon a ride if I'm prepared.

My wheelbarrow wheel is hanging off so need to fix that.

What else is there?