Winter is Coming!!! (For prepping squirrels)

tristar

Visit site
Please keep it all coming, and emphasize how expensive it all is, I am really trying to stop looking at horse adverts and telling myself than a month before a house move and 2 weeks before I start my new job is not the time to buy a new horse :p

ah well, as you know things happen in three`s

or as the chinese say what likes to happen together

good luck

Shoei

Visit site
So how's everyone's prepping getting on?

I could do with some helpful tips.... as I now seem to have another horse in at night, so that's 3 in and 2 out!

MarvelVillis

Visit site
I think I'm ready! Managed to move stables at the same yard (which had been recently cleaned and painted thankfully!) to one nearer the door which will be better for him when stabled overnight. I ordered a nosebag hay feeder which is brilliant, my 5 year old gave it a snort and then happily tucked in. Also ordered an Equidry coat which I love already - not flattering in the slightest but will keep me warm and dry. Also ordered a PE turnout for this year, it's a 40g one so I don't need to faff about with the 50g liner on a 0g turnout this year. His other liners are washed and put away ready to go. Need to check the batteries in the head torch but apart from that I feel all set!

dorsetladette

Visit site
My prep has changed quite drastically. I've gone from having an old creaky boy and 2 babies to worry about to just the babies :(

I honestly can't believe the difference in hay usage and poo picking requirements. God he ate and pooed ALOT bless him.

So babies have the next 2 sizes of rugs each and are currently in the same size so that is making things easier. We've got hay and straw sorted for the winter.
I've got a new pair of wellies and all my coats are washed ready. A stack of gloves by the tack room door and a couple of woolly hats in the car.
My winter plan now is to give the babies the winter being babies. Good hay, shelter and well rugged, with minimal feed if needed. I'm going to give myself a bit of a break this winter too.

After that long horrible wet/windy night with B I'm definitely going to invest in an equidry. I borrowed my friends and it was amazing. B and I walked our socks off in the driving rain but I was bone dry underneath. friends is a tall one and I'm only 5ft2 so looked like a darlick and had to lift it like a ball gown to walk by the end of the night but I was still dry and toasty underneath. I did think it was all a gimmick but I'm now a convert.

Shoei

Visit site
Ahemmmm - I just thought I'd resuscitate this thread!

For those of you that would like to continue to bury your head in the sand about the darkening nights..... move along :)

I thought it may be useful to update what worked well/ not well and what you are doing this year.

I have actually kept the boys in over summer so the routine won't change too much, I ride first thing in the morning so this works for me.

I'm currently experimenting with bedding options as Raymond is a filthy, stinky beast so he currently has straw pellets under his straw bed. If this works I'll get some in stock.

I'm also going to stock up on sugarbeet this year as last year I couldn't get hold of any or grass nuts! I'll also make sure I have a good stock of ballancer.

Filling a weeks worth of haynets helped me with time in the week and I'm going to get some extra buckets so I can mix the feeds like this too.

I really need a waterproof coat that is long and warm. I like the Lemieux but it's not quite long enough for me and I'd get wet knees! Any suggestions?

I'm going to have a big tidy up over the next few weeks, make sure all my grooming box is clear of empty bottles etc and get my rugs organised.

Sealine

Visit site
I've already started stock piling shavings for the winter. I struggled to get shavings last winter and it got stressful. The feed merchant only lets you buy 5 bales at a time (Hunters!) and they only release stock on a Saturday and if you don't get there early they run out.

I certainly don't need any more rugs or winter clothing so nothing to do there. I really should have a good tidy up and clear out of all my 'stuff' though.

Belmont

Visit site
Agh I've been feeling like this for a few weeks, summer has flown past so quickly and I don't feel like I've achieved anything. I have a long 'to do' list 😟
Clear and disinfect stables
Paint stable block
Fix parts of the rotten fencing
Order and lay more mud slabs
Fix gutter
Tidy hay store/feed room
Tidy tack room
Sort rugs for washing

Surbie

Visit site
I am currently sitting next to, and ignoring, a giant pile of rugs that need mending.

I'd like to find some time while it is still dry to wash and reproof all the turnouts with Fabsil Gold.

I've bought 20L of pig oil and sulphur for heavy feathered legs.

I would like to mend the small hole in the stable roof, but I have vertigo and wouldn't be able to come back down the ladder...!

Similarly the roof on my allotment shed needs replacing.

I just looked at my reply from last year. My pile of jobs from then is unashamedly mostly the same. That hole in the roof is still there. My shed is wearing a 'hat' of damp-proof membrane held down by bricks...

But I have got some extra mud control slabs to extend the gateway patio and also to make a dry platform in front of the water trough.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I need to get some rugs washed, but thankfully being on full livery I don't need to worry about too much else. I have bought in some thrush treatments, and have leg wraps stored as he has sensitive skin on his cannon bones. I do need to get some winter clothes though, as I sold all my old stuff!

meleeka

Visit site
I just need an Indian Summer and it will all be ok 🙄. I need to get the hardstanding levelled before winter. There’s no point in doing it after the ground is wet or it will just be mud. I also need, as part of the same job, to put the drainage pipe in to take the water off the yard.

I’ve also got a tonne of strimming to do before winter. I always have plans to do it early, but then the birds start nesting and it has to wait until after. Then it’s winter and it doesn’t get done again.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I think I'm ready! Managed to move stables at the same yard (which had been recently cleaned and painted thankfully!) to one nearer the door which will be better for him when stabled overnight. I ordered a nosebag hay feeder which is brilliant, my 5 year old gave it a snort and then happily tucked in. Also ordered an Equidry coat which I love already - not flattering in the slightest but will keep me warm and dry. Also ordered a PE turnout for this year, it's a 40g one so I don't need to faff about with the 50g liner on a 0g turnout this year. His other liners are washed and put away ready to go. Need to check the batteries in the head torch but apart from that I feel all set!

Head torch!!!!! Thanks MV - I had forgotten about this integral bit of kit

dorsetladette

Visit site
I've got growing babies still (although Robin doesn't seem to be geting any bigger) so likely don't have enough rugs to see them through winter, but I do have my hay supply and price sorted out - monthly deliveries from October until Marh/April.

Whilst packing to move house I've found several pairs of waterproof overtrousers, pairs of boot socks and a couple of coats which are now spares in the tackroom. So thats a win.

I have 3 again this winter with Ben coming home, but he is so easy to keep and winters naked.

We've started putting hardcore down for parking the lorry and getting in and out with cars etc as I get upset when it gets muddy. A friend parks her lorry with us now and has been told about being organised in winter about going in and out.

I need a new pair of wellies and a headtorch.

Last edited:

Esmae

Visit site
Just got straw to be delivered. Hoping the next few days. Hay is in thankfully. Feed will be ordered next month. The only outstanding job to do is a new ridge line on the stable block. Wanted to do it earlier but it wouldn't stop raining. Hopefully next month for that. Then all will be up to speed.

Jambarissa

Visit site
Both stables have been painted
One of them has the mats lifted and cleaned (never that bad) other still to do
Did all the dust and cobwebs too
Bought in 2 pallets of wood pellets, back to more normal prices now
I cleaned rugs at the end of the season because I'm incredible

Hoping to get a new horsey soon so he might need something, I kept hold of my larger Rambo rugs for years then sold them last winter thinking I'd never buy another and now here we are 🙄

I am eyeing up the bits of wasted land on my yard and wondering about asking to use it. There's a nice triangular piece the area of a good arena that has trees on 2 sides, I'd like to put a track down and use it if winter is hideous.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I've got a fair list I need to get through, the weather and various other things have got in the way - we need to rub down and paint our stables, got lots of small screw holes in roof that need to be filled/mended, I've got fencing to finish off, I need to move the tack room into another empty stable and turn that part into hay/feed storage, I could really do with some mud control slabs (but really REALLY can't afford to buy any!). Hoping our hay/haylage will be wrapped tomorrow which should see us through the winter. Planning for ours to not be stabled this winter (access to 7 acres and hardstanding yard with 2 open shelters on it). First year at new place so will be a big learning curve I think, it's on the boundary of Exmoor so likely to have some wild weather!!

Jambarissa

Visit site
If anyone is after metal feed bins I stumbled across ASA metal products recently ahd the prices looked good. Can't say for quality.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have noticed that from late July/ early august I start to get "winter is coming" anxiety.
I have made our own hay so that's sorted.
Need to sort turnout pens
pressure wash, paint stables, if I can afford it add more rubber mats and order and sort bedding.
Maybe get haybars? Again depending on finances and a giant wheelbarrow... order more mucking out tools. Buy more mucking out tools, fix feed room doors, clear gutters. Sort rugs...
Try and stockpile feed, order new feed buckets, stockpile bedding.... Think that's it? Only got 5 (maybe 7) horses to winter this here. Year before last it was 17 horses and that was mental and very stressful!!!

atropa

Visit site
I'm another who needs an Indian summer.
Three stables to clean out, all my rugs need sorting, I need to have started clipper desensitisation like last month with one, meant to send away one set of clippers to be fixed, trailer needs new brakes/wheels/roof seal....

dottylottie

Visit site
i need to buy some clippers, and learn how to clip🙈😂 august and diva especially resembles a yak already!

diva needs basically a full wardrobe still, lily just needs a 50g stable adding. got rugs that need washing still, but evri have “delayed” 3 rugs i’ve bought 2nd hand for 4 weeks and i wanted to wait until they came and take the lot🙄

Shoei

Visit site
I have noticed that from late July/ early august I start to get "winter is coming" anxiety.
I have made our own hay so that's sorted.
Need to sort turnout pens
pressure wash, paint stables, if I can afford it add more rubber mats and order and sort bedding.
Maybe get haybars? Again depending on finances and a giant wheelbarrow... order more mucking out tools. Buy more mucking out tools, fix feed room doors, clear gutters. Sort rugs...
Try and stockpile feed, order new feed buckets, stockpile bedding.... Think that's it? Only got 5 (maybe 7) horses to winter this here. Year before last it was 17 horses and that was mental and very stressful!!!

My giant wheelbarrows are my best investment! I now have 2, one for the stables and one for poo picking! Make life so much easier and I can muck both stables out into one barrow,