Winter mode?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is it time?
I got home late today and had to turn my stable lights on to muck out, horses went out with rugs on, one pony went minus a muzzle and I genuinely considered taking fly sheets in to wash and pack away.
A fb friend put photos of her winter beds on, first clips are also featuring in my news feed.
I kind of like winter (minus mud!) so I’m not complaining.
Anyone embraced winter yet?

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Pony came in with dripping sweet itch rug this morning. When he was dry I clipped an elbow to jaw ‘unzip’ as he had been very sweaty on Sunday. Whilst I clipped the heavens opened again. Instead of waterproof S.I. rug he is now wearing a Snuggy head and neck and a lightweight turnout. It poured pretty much all day.
When OH returned from this evening’s dog walk he said it was 8 degrees.
Oh dear

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My two are in tonight because they usually wear muzzles and it has been raining biblically since 4pm. I did a big muck out this afternoon and changed their stables over from summer beds to deep winter ones and they seemed quite happy to stay in and munch on hay rather than be subjected to a torrential downpour. I won’t rug yet as they are both out of work and not clipped but I draw the line at subjecting them to the amount of rain we have had in the last 8 hours.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine are in tonight as it’s particularly foul with heavy rain most of the night and forecast is for a thunderstorm. Hopefully back out tomorrow night. I hate the change over to winter mode but once I’ve acclimatised to inclement weathe I’m ok.

Squeak

Visit site
Nope, nope, nope, nope not ready for winter at all.

I may have had to turn out in a rug though and also be wondering where my head torch is...

TPO

Visit site
We've had one night in so far but think they'll be in tomorrow night and Thursday night based on the forecast.

They've had rainsheets on (except fat cob) and are out with hay and sheets on tonight.

They've been hayed pretty much all year because the previous pants weather really ruined the grass but hay rations have gone up.

Day beds were all lifted at the weekend and winter beds are laid.

So it begins ?

meleeka

Visit site
I put a rug on my delicate old mare last night and left it on today. She’d have liked to go in but I’m holding out for a bit longer in the hope this rain is just a blip.
I’m still waiting for delivery of a stable so I do hope it’s not winter proper yet :(

Visit site
It's definitely colder today. Just sat here feeling guilty because it's chucking it down here and mine are all out - they do all have rugs on though. It hasn't rained in ages though and we do need some as the ground is so hard. I'm not changing to a 'winter routine' at a set time this year - going to play it day by day and see what happens and bring in as and when necessary and have them out as much as possible. Lucky to have enough grazing to be able to do this and I can't bear the thought of a winter as long as last year!!

Peglo

Visit site
No!! I’m clinging onto summer with all I’ve got. But the constant wind and rain for the last 2 weeks is starting to wear me down and I bought the TB a new winter rug….. will likely have to hint to the OH that the 3rd stable needs finished off soon as well. ☹️

teddypops

Visit site
No not yet! It’s a bit chillier over night but we have had no rain for weeks, so a few showers today haven’t made a difference. Ponies are still out on summer fields with grass and no one needs a rug yet!

meleeka

Visit site
No!! I’m clinging onto summer with all I’ve got. But the constant wind and rain for the last 2 weeks is starting to wear me down and I bought the TB a new winter rug….. will likely have to hint to the OH that the 3rd stable needs finished off soon as well. ☹️

Where in the Country are you? Last night was the first time I’ve had to wear boots and socks for months. It’s been gorgeous down here in the South.

GreyDot

Visit site
Yep, today was a definite reminder of what's to come. Both in overnight now, one clipped and definitely both hungrier for than normal when coming off the grass. Moving to winter grazing at the end of October so summer grazing is very poor at the moment.
Having to switch lights on is very depressing.

ecb89

Visit site
Clipped on Sunday. Rain sheet on this evening for turnout, currently listening to rain outside. Wore a hoodie with the hood up as it was raining. Lights on in the stable as I mucked out.
I recently moved from full livery to assisted diy so it’s going to be a shock!

catembi

Visit site
Aarrrgghhh, rugs on two of mine. Fine skinned TB who feels the cold and ISH with PSSM who needs to be kept warm. I have left the Dartmoor bare for now. Tomorrow might be field closing off day - we are on heavy clay and once it goes soggy, that's that, so then they stay on the hardstanding til spring/it dries out.

MinKo

Visit site
Mine are clipped and out in proper rugs for the first time today, definitely changing to winter me thinks. I had to put the yard lights on today too for the first time

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It's been chucking it down since 8pm so I got mine in at about 9 they had rugs on as it is going down to 8 degrees tonight so I just left them in there turnouts as they were soaked.

palo1

Visit site
I clipped 3 of ours a couple of weeks ago because it was so warm! Fine skinned araby type now in a rug overnight but they are still out in the fields and I am hoping for a couple more weeks of summer grazing before they are on the winter turnout (no real grass). I started introducing hay slowly a couple of days ago. The summer/winter change around is bittersweet; it is getting too dark to poo pick at either end of the day and the grass is running out so I want to get the horses on hay etc at the same time I don't relish the thought of riding in the dark and/or everything being squeezed into less daylight.

ImmyS

Visit site
Both ours are out unrugged - 3 year old RID and an ex racer. Felt a bit guilty about the ex racer last night in torrential rain but seems fine this morning. Going to avoid rugging the ID Finn as much as possible as would like him to come into spring a bit leaner and no kind of weather seems to bother him!

They are out 24/7 with natural shelter although I am excited for field shelter being delivered next week! It will also have a tack/feed room on the side which will be a godsend as feed bins and storage boxes are currently kept outside and no where dry to hang rugs!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not just me then.
I’m holding off a bit, horse number 1 is going away for a month. He comes back mid November so the other 3 are staying out at night, in during the day til then. During that time I’m going to get my stables sorted. Cobwebbed and winter beds.
Will start washing and putting away summer stuff. A fair bit of fly rug repairs to keep me busy!
I had thought ideally I’d like to keep them all out overnight but in reality I have no grass so it’s best if they are out days and I can top hay up. ?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I really like winter and autumn and the cosiness of being inside in the warm, I hate heatwaves and summer!

Mine is in at night all year round as it's my preference and I prefer him in a routine.

Clipping will be done when he's drugged up for the dentist in October half term!

I want my winter duvet as its so cosy but oh is mean and says no ?
The only thing I don't like about winter I'd having to dry washing inside and it not getting dry!

Steerpike

Visit site
I've put rugs on all of mine now, am trying to hold of putting them in winter fields and winter routine but one field is sloppy mud after all the rain we've had recently.

J&S

Visit site
I folded up the fly rugs yesterday as well! Waiting for a day when OH is out to put in washing machine!! I also topped up the beds a bit but not to full winter level. They came in for a few hours 5 - 8pm because it was torrential rain. They have been having a little hay each night anyway so went out again later, veteran mare was rugged, companion pony has enough fluff on her to keep her warm! I have worn my wellies but not a proper coat yet. Trying to keep the house a bit cosy by not leaving the back door open as we do in summer mode.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Taking it a day at a time here, although hoping to keep them out 24/7 again this year. It worked well last year but we didn't have much snow at all. We have started doing the 'teatime' checks earlier, so that we can take advantage of the light.

scats

Visit site
Rugs went on today in the field as it’s windy and was pouring down (and I don’t want Millie soaked for the vet later). So glad I de-spidered everything last night- which was horrifying but necessary. I even wore my thermal vest this morning.