Without wanting to upset!! ? about PTS!

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Moomince Pie, I think we have now comfortably established that we dont like each other. At all.
You have again chosen to single me out despite there being several people who were equally disgusted by your lack of common decency and empathy on this thread (and lets face it, many others). You are, as you said in your lovely PM to me, entitled to your opinion. But there are actually ways of speaking/typing that would come across as a little less agressive..?? Though of course if thats the way you like to behave towards people then I guess thats fine too, you reap what you sow :rolleyes:

Oh and yes, I do understand the meaning of the word patronising, thank you :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
Lots of people have managed to convey different opinions without being insulting to anyone else. Fiona expressed her opinion regarding giving the body to the hounds without being offensive to those who prefer it. Having had a dog cremated, its something I'd never do again, it still just doesn't feel right for me. However I have no desire to belittle those that do, imo disposal of the carcass is just whatever the owner prefers, not right or wrong whatever method they choose.
I have come to the conclusion though that whatever hhh posts, moomin will endeavour to find something to criticize. It's becoming very personal & distasteful.

Amaranta

Visit site
I have always used the bullet, but this year my 32yo went down very suddenly with colic (we think a melanoma burst the gut wall), there was no time to call the hunt, so the vet pts by injection, I expressed concern (due to all the horror stories I had read on here) but she assured me that things have changed, my mare was sedated lay down and from that moment on was asleep, the vet explained everything as she injected the final shot, my mare was gone in less than 5 minutes, it was all very peaceful and the only trauma I felt was the trauma of loss, I had her cremated and the total cost was £600, I did not have the ashes back, but kept her tail.

I don't begrudge the £600, she owed me nothing, but by the same token I would never judge someone who chose a cheaper route.

PS: Heavyhorsehugger, I am so sorry, to lose two is even more heartbreaking.

Barney&Buzz

Visit site
We have no hunts around this way, and If we did I wouldn't use them. From working on yards in my area for 15 years, I know the local 'knacker man' for want of a better name personally. He and his family are the only people I'd use. He is kind, professional and gives the horses as dignified end as possible, and has seen me as a blubbing mess more than once!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Take heart from the fact that critical people cannot be happy people.

Must be horrible to feel you have to belittle and criticise others all the time.

Absolutely agree with this, I am actually begining to feel sorry for MoominMincepie, she must be one of the unhappiest people it has been my misfortune to have any communication with. For anyone to feel the need to be as unpleasant as she does, they must have some very horrible things happening to them now, or have had in the past and allows this to colour their interactions with others. I also think that given the times of these postings that alcohol may well be involved with the vitriol.

flump

Visit site
Moomince pie, what a bitch!!!! How dare you belittle someone who chooses the hunt for their horses. I'm sat hear in tears, I can not believe what a horrible person you must be!!
I'm glad none of my horses will end up with you.

fburton

Visit site
I have always used the bullet, but this year my 32yo went down very suddenly with colic (we think a melanoma burst the gut wall), there was no time to call the hunt, so the vet pts by injection, I expressed concern (due to all the horror stories I had read on here) but she assured me that things have changed, my mare was sedated lay down and from that moment on was asleep, the vet explained everything as she injected the final shot, my mare was gone in less than 5 minutes, it was all very peaceful and the only trauma I felt was the trauma of loss, I had her cremated and the total cost was £600, I did not have the ashes back, but kept her tail.
Thank you for that, Amaranta. I feel that true horror stories, whether told firsthand or passed around, have the tendency to create an unbalanced view - like reports of violent street crime making old people fearful to go out - so it's reassuring and helpful to hear when things go right, representative of the vast majority of cases.

Archina

Visit site
Ive always had my horses PTS by injection, but this is more due to the circumstances around it. My mare was PTS on the operating table and her foal was PTS in her stable. Both died from C.Diff and her foal was already very weak so didnt fight it. A rescue I had, had an accident in his stable and couldnt get back up because of being severely emaciated, he passed away peacefully and quickly with the injection.

I dont have a problem with being PTS with a bullet or sending the carcass away to be used as a meal for another animal. I quite like the thought of it, the circle of life. I wouldnt get the hunt to do it though and I certainly wouldnt be supplying free food for their hounds while they carry on breaking the law.

I took mane clippings to remember them all, not decided what to do with them yet though. :rolleyes:

MileAMinute

Visit site
It's becoming very personal & distasteful.

For anyone to feel the need to be as unpleasant as she does, they must have some very horrible things happening to them now, or have had in the past and allows this to colour their interactions with others. I also think that given the times of these postings that alcohol may well be involved with the vitriol.

Moomince pie, what a bitch!!!!
I'm glad none of my horses will end up with you.

I agree, Littlelegs, shame others don't.
I didn't want to get involved but feel I must input here. I am friends with MMP in real life and she is a livery at the same yard as me.
She's been an absolute saint for me, regularly helps me with the horses when I can't get down due to illness/shift patterns.
More recently she has helped me as I've had an operation late last week and at home recovering. She has sorted my lad out every night for the past 2 weeks whilst still working full time.

Yes her posts may come across a little blunt and to the point, but that's just how she is. Especially as she deals with issues like death and PTS on a daily basis. If it offends you, the UI feature I've heard is fantastic :)

*Slowly backs out of thread in preparation for lynching! Don't be too mean, I'm ill and fragile :eek: *

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
*Slowly backs out of thread in preparation for lynching! Don't be too mean, I'm ill and fragile :eek: *

I have no intention of lynching anyone, but to ask for people to be gentle with you is somewhat ironic, given the dire behaviour, on here, of the person you are defending. I am however quite relieved to discover that her vitriol is confined to here, where she cannot be identified. Many other people on here also deal with quite distressing scenario's in real life, but manage to not take that out on those who are having a hard time here.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree, Littlelegs, shame others don't.

Indeed littlelegs, and we all know who is the worst offender.

I didn't want to get involved but feel I must input here. I am friends with MMP in real life and she is a livery at the same yard as me.

If MMP has the capacity to be reasonable in rl, perhaps this is a perfect illustration of the combination of a keyboard and alcohol very late at night.

I am delighted that I shall never be able to test the veracity of ChristmasStyle's view.

As for UI, I cannot see why others should put themselves out to avoid what my grandmother would have called 'a nasty piece of work', when the npow could avoid posting nastiness.

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
I wouldn't worry about people being 'mean' to you....people generally seem to speak as they find on here, I think...you've been perfectly nice, Moomin hasn't....I'm assuming Moomin is a vet then? Hope she's not mine! :rolleyes:

Littlelegs

Visit site
Christmasstyle, moomin may well have redeeming qualities in rl, & if I'm honest there have been other threads where I have agreed with moomins thoughts. And I don't object to either her differing view or even expressing them bluntly. But I feel on a subject such as this making derogatory remarks about opposing opinions is uncalled for. If we were debating a subject with clear rights & wrongs, then strong views are fine. But pts methods aren't defined as right or wrong, just personal opinion. Most of all though I don't like the way hhh is being sought out for personal attacks, especially having just lost two horses. It's not at all acceptable imo. And if moomin deals with pts regularly, she will know we all have our own beliefs & ways of coping, & not for taking advantage of someone low to score cheap shots.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I would have thought that someone dealing with pts on a daily basis may be a little more empathetic.....

I'm not defending anyone but when it is a normal occurrence in your daily life I can understand how easy it is to give short shrift to anyone who isn't as realistic as yourself, I know, I've done it myself. I'm not proud of that, of course not but sometimes you do think, FGS, get a grip, life goes on and in some cases you think they should stop milking it too (not in HHH's case though, that was very sad) so part of me understands how things can quickly degenerate with the wrong or badly phrased things that others jump on the band wagon to condemn so it then becomes all out of proportion but there is never an excuse for being rude at any time if someone doesn't agree with you.
I think the more you see of death be that human or animal, the more you will feel like that even though you will have all the sympathy in the world for the bereaved.

angelish

Visit site
i have seen a lot of death both human and animal and it doesn't make it any easier ,there really is no excuse for being so rude about such a sensitive subject
although i do indeed think "fgs get a grip" at times it is normally when the animal is still alive and needs pts and the owner is fannying about ,either go away if you really can't cope (no shame in that) or pull yourself together for the sake of the animal but i'd never be horrible to anyone there is really no need

MMP go and get some christmas spirit the festive season is obviously getting to you :) (i mean that in the nicest possible way you have't upset me)

my horse was found dead in the field and had to have a PM for the insurance co ,the only way this could be done is for her body to go to the hunt for a suitable place to carry this out as is the way with horses there size means you sometimes have to be practical at times :(
i was absolutely devastated by the thought of her going to the hounds but do you know what ,she would have loved hunting (you would have to be crazy to take her ;) ) and every time i see the hounds i do think of her flying about the country side jumping massive hedges ,i know she isn't really but its a nice thought and people are entitled to think that

iv'e had horses and other animals shot (pigs,goats) and although it is very quick i find it distressing for me ,i really don't like the twitching ,i know there gone but still :(
i would however still get one shot if it was needle shy or very poorly as sometimes there veins collapse and it is hard to get a good line in
the ones iv'e seen with the injection have always gone quickly and without drama and this is what i'd choose for mine when the time comes if i'm lucky enough to be able to say goodbye the next time

FionaM12

Visit site
every time i see the hounds i do think of her flying about the country side jumping massive hedges ,i know she isn't really but its a nice thought and people are entitled to think that

I think that's an interesting point. I'm rather cynical when people start talking about "Rainbow Bridge" and suchlike. There was a RB poem here in the last few days, and I didn't comment because to me it seemed ridiculous and sentimental. But maybe you're right, people know it's not so, they just enjoy the fantasy and find it comforting.

I'm the same with ideas of Heaven and religions, I just think, how can they think there's a Heaven, it doesn't make sense to me. :rolleyes: But perhaps I'm missing the point.

I worked in a funeral directors for years, and saw how much rituals and beliefs can help people in time of loss. Whatever works for each person needs to be respected.

angelish

Visit site
yes the rainbow bridge thing makes me go a bit :rolleyes: :eek: but each to there own and if it helps them cope then good for them
the day she died i was meant to be holding a problem pony i'd been riding for the hunt but obviously someone else had to do that ,he was similar to the one i lost as in would jump the moon for you, although not as mad as mine ,she'd have been away around badminton if you'd let her (not with me on :eek: )

the only thing that made me smile in that nightmare of a day was someone saying that she wouldn't have been waiting at the pearly gates for her friend she'd have jumped them and b**gered of at 90 mile an hour :D
i do think little things like that help people even though they know that its not real it certainly made me feel a little better about it

i'm not sure about the heaven thing either but some very strange things seem to happen that are just odd and can't really be explained but we'll not go into that or ill be called barking mad :D :D

charliesarmy

Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts and information,was thinking at one point of getting the post deleted...but think throughout there is soooo many snippets of info :)

FionaM12

Visit site
Thank you all for your thoughts and information,was thinking at one point of getting the post deleted...but think throughout there is soooo many snippets of info :)

I learn a lot from these threads. Hard as it is to think about, I do feel that as responsible owners we should have some idea of what to do when/if the time comes. Thank you for bringing the subject up, I'm glad you didn't ask for its removal. :)