Wondering if my maiden held her pregnancy

emilynej

Visit site
Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can share their thoughts on this.
May 2020 my maiden tb mare was served and scanned at 15 days and 30 - in foal and heartbeat. She was turned away with the hunter mares for summer.
July 2020. Mare mimicked signs of being in season in sync with other mares. Scanned empty although couldnt find any causes to have lost the pregnancy.
Mare is a very stressy, anxious type however since May 2020 she has been very mellow, relaxed in herself and not stressed when her stable mate is taken away.
August-November she hunted and has been ‘normal’ to her work. We thought she was no longer in foal as the vet had said shed lost the pregnancy and she was fit and keen in her work.
December to now she has turned rather lethargic and developed a grass type belly but is not fat by any means. Her regime and diet has not changed significantly. She has mellowed even further and even out hunting is not herself by any means. Today a friend who hasnt seen her in a few months commented that if she wasnt in foal theyd eat their hat. Not one to question my vets but I am wondering if it was possible she scanned empty around 60/70 days but was hiding the foal? Or is it a series of coincidences.
I can add photos tomorrow if it would help.
Many thanks

emilynej

Visit site
NYE celebrations clearly taking their toll!!^^ Should add she is up to date with her wormer. She has had ulcers in the past but reacted differently to how she is now so I dont think its that although am open that it could be. Just wanted to know if it may be a possibility before I get vets out to check

Equi

Visit site
She could have a missed foal or a phantom pregnancy. A maiden mare I served had every single sign of pregnancy for 11 months right up to the “red alert” immanent foaling scenario…just no foal to be seen. Two vets were called, one said they thought they felt a foal one said they absolutely didn’t. Funny thing was her mother did the exact same thing in her maiden year, but both went on to take first time on their next serve and have successful pregnancies.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I had a missed foal. Mare manually checked twice at different times and told was empty. Put her in work and it was only when I took her up to our local RC that someone commented she looked in foal. She always had a big stomach anyway so we hadn't noticed. Vet came out and confirmed in foal which arrived a couple of weeks later.

emilynej

Visit site
Here is a photo of her today after fast work before I washed her off. Normally id expect her to look slightly tucked up with tight abdominal muscles, especially as she has hunted twice this week, so she is fit and a hay belly would disappear with work like that surely. Shes covered over her ribs but in better light you can see and feel them, so I wouldnt say she was over conditioned. What do people think? Im open to all possibilities, but everyone on the yard is looking twice at her and the last thing I want to do is over work her given she would be 7 months pregnant if in foal.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9zxdvlsmpclak3v/BF639197-BC08-4ACE-9695-9BF486A19DB4.png?dl=0

emilynej

Visit site
Would ulcers show up a belly like that? She doesnt have any ulcer symptoms though as when she did have them she was very reactive to ridden work. Shes sensitive at the back of her belly but not the girth area.

emilynej

Visit site
She could have a missed foal or a phantom pregnancy. A maiden mare I served had every single sign of pregnancy for 11 months right up to the “red alert” immanent foaling scenario…just no foal to be seen. Two vets were called, one said they thought they felt a foal one said they absolutely didn’t. Funny thing was her mother did the exact same thing in her maiden year, but both went on to take first time on their next serve and have successful pregnancies.
I had a missed foal. Mare manually checked twice at different times and told was empty. Put her in work and it was only when I took her up to our local RC that someone commented she looked in foal. She always had a big stomach anyway so we hadn't noticed. Vet came out and confirmed in foal which arrived a couple of weeks later.

Please see photo attached above

emilynej

Visit site
Definitely worth a vet check. They can and do get it wrong at times.

My mare received & slipped an expensive embryo transplant and I was convinced the vet got it wrong. She looked very pregnant (more so than yours) at 8 months and I thought I saw the odd bit of movement.

Turns out she was just a fat windbag.

Was your mare in work at the time?

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
With your mare being in work and being a maiden she is unlikely to be as big as a mare not in work having a tenth foal. I had a maiden tb mare who was no bigger than your mare when she was full term. The foal was a normal size. Unfortunately we lost the foal as all the joints in the front legs were fused and it couldn’t extend its legs to come out. Bugger of a job to get it out and the vet pts straight away. Just one of those things, she went on to have more foals with no problems.

windand rain

Visit site
Had a mare out competitively hunter trialing who one week one her class the next went to get her she had a colt in the night after being more than happy to gallop and jump the night before no one knew the cryptorchid in the field had covered her and three other mares before he was gelded

Reactions: tda

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not only that - scan showed she is infact coming into season, she must have missed the memo that it’s mid winter!
one of mine came in season immediately upon meeting a gelding last month. i think the weather has been so bonkers their hormones are all over the place!