Won't stop growing!

saddlesore

Visit site
My 4yo cob has decided that this winter is the time for a major growth spurt- up and out! He was meant to make 15.2hh and he's that now, he is also going to be seriously chunky. I've had him since he was 18months and until recently I wasn't sure he'd even make his height! Please tell me that plenty of others youngsters HAVEN'T grown after 4- I only want a small one!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Did you forget to muck him out, muck is very good for growing things..................

My two four year olds are growing like weeds too.

saddlesore

Visit site
Bloody hell- do they all think it's spring with the mild weather? I've just bought him new rugs as he's outgrown his old ones- if he gets bigger he'll just need to have a wet ar** lol.
AA he's still living out so in plenty of muck- just not the growing kind!

Araboo27

Visit site
Oh this thread gives me some hope - I'd love my mare to grow a little more, not holding out much hope with her being 5 but who knows! Might try the not mucking out ;)

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Hate to mention it but my six year old traditional is growing like it's going out of fashion. He has completely changed shape in the last year! At four I don't think your half way through yet ..............

Nessa4

Visit site
All I have to say is that Eric was 14.2 at 15 months when I bought him (to make 15.2, like his mum and Dad). He made 15.2 at 2 and a half. For about a month. He is now 4. 16.1 (at the last measuring). I have just had to buy him a rug from the Bighorse Rug Company because his Premier rug won't go round his shoulders, and he has burst the front fastenings off!! My only advice is to buy/build a very large mounting block!!

JJS

Visit site
My gelding grew three inches between six and seven, so I think yours might have a few more inches left in him yet!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Mine is 4 and 17.2. I would like him to stop now...not bothered about the height for me as I'm 5'10 but very big horses do have problems. We are already looking at possible djd. Parents were only 16.2 so he's a throwback. They usually do grow a bit more yet.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's a universal truth that if you want a youngster to grow it stays stubbornly small and if you wish a small horse it grows like a weed .

sport horse

Visit site
I bought one in France in the December of her 4th year ie nearly 5. She was 16.1. She finished at 17hh!! However she was a delightful mare, made Grade A, jumped 9 seasons with not one refusal and bred me 3 lovely foals so I was a happy lady! Sadly she died after foaling her last one who is now 4 and 17.3hh - please join me in hoping he does not grow as much as him mum did in the next 12 months!!

Julia0803

Visit site
My cobalt kept growing out, even if he didn't go up...

When his previous owner bought him at 4he was in a 5'9 rug. When she sold him at just turned 7 he was in a 6' rug... So when we bought him when went out and bought lots of lovely rugs for him... which we had to then sell on the next winter when he was 8 as he had filled out and was bursting out of the seams!! He now wear 6'3... He is 14.2