Wood chip arena experts please?

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’m currently at livery (A whole other story!) and pondering why the surface of the school rides so badly (and wondering if there’s an inexpensive fix
for it?)
It’s woodchip and rides much too deep. It has been topped up (DIY job) about 6 months ago but had limited use since. YO says it needs ‘riding in’- I’m inclined to disagree. It’s so slippy, it’s dangerous even in walk. It’s like the whole surface drifts across it. Harrowing and levelling doesn’t seem to be making any difference.

What should be immediately under the surface? They have put the new topping on top of the old from what I can see but it does have a menbrane and seems to drain well...thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to use the school if it can be addressed. I’ve been spoiled previously with chipped rubber and sand....which this is nothing like!!

Lintel

Visit site
I too am now stung by the curse of the woodchip. It wasn't my first choice but due to bad access and woodchip being able to get skipped in fairly locally I went for it.

I only really use it as turnout so the deep boggy mess isn't too terrible for me or the boys but if I was using it as an arena.

God no... Couldn't wouldn't ride on it.
I'm pretty gutted, it's lasted 3 and a bit years and it's has been glorious both to ride and turnout on but now no :(

We now to face the dilemma of tear it all up... Or try and savage.
I think option one is winning, will have to tear up and figure out what else I can get round a 90 degree corner.. or what else could come in a skip.

If anyone is else pops along with a fix that would be grand ?

Melody Grey

Visit site
? woodchip is a popular choice then by all accounts! ?‍♀

I’m thinking the old surface being left down underneath and the chips seeming large (not convinced they’re equestrian grade) might be part of the problem here.

Melody Grey

Visit site
There are suggestions on the web about adding sand but I’m not convinced adding more surface is a good plan! Has anyone tried this?

sport horse

Visit site
You only need to ponder why no arena company uses woodchip a a surface. There used to be a company called Dormit who did woodchip surfaces. I wonder where they are?!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I too am now stung by the curse of the woodchip. It wasn't my first choice but due to bad access and woodchip being able to get skipped in fairly locally I went for it.

We now to face the dilemma of tear it all up... Or try and savage.
I think option one is winning, will have to tear up and figure out what else I can get round a 90 degree corner.. or what else could come in a skip.

Many surfaces can come in 1 tonne bags, it just costs more that way. If you contact the companies, they would be able to tell you. Some come in bales too, so equally portable.

Visit site
The problem with woodchip is it degrades and turns into mush. We wasted thousands trying to add surface (arena was already laid with woodchip when we bought the house) and then taking it all up (a 40m by 20m arena turned into 58 tonnes of mulch! Fortunately we were allowed to dump it all on neighbouring land for a farmer!

Adding surface will just make it deeper as you need a firm surface underneath for it not to ride deep. When woodchip degrades it goes into your drainage, our drainage was completely filled and we had to take all the drainage up and relay it also.

My advice after two years of hell with our arena is to get your woodchip up as soon as possible, check your drainage and get another surface in.

We went for a “all in one” surface in the end (synthetic equestrian surface) and it was appalling until we then added 20 tonnes of silica on top of it.

Thoughts are with anyone dealing with this as it is costly to fix and I wish they would stop marketing woodchip for surfaces as it swiftly becomes a costly nightmare.

Lintel

Visit site
Many surfaces can come in 1 tonne bags, it just costs more that way. If you contact the companies, they would be able to tell you. Some come in bales too, so equally portable.
I think we are leaning toward the carpet baled type surface, but would need to hire some form of equipment to get it from the road to the arena... Another option is skipping in rubber chip locally... and of course having to pull up the whole arena will require machinery.. I just don't think our little tractor will handle it ? Either way expensive and time-consuming project for 2021/22?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think we are leaning toward the carpet baled type surface, but would need to hire some form of equipment to get it from the road to the arena...
Having spread 6 (top up) bales of carpet fibre by hand I'd recommend having something to do this for you anyway :oops: