Wood Pellet Deliveries

Yardbird

Visit site
Do people who have wood pellets delivered on pallets that weigh about a ton find that the drivers who have to unload these with just a sort of trolley thing(not a fork lift) struggle with the job when conditions are a bit rough , like in a farm yard where the ground may not be level. I am very uncomfortable with what I see the drivers have to do. I read that Palletline have put a limit of 750 kg on these deliveries, but it does not seem to be adhered to.The trucks never have a fork lift with them to use.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I just get them dropped off and then OH picks the pallet up with the tractor. In the past I've restacked the sacks of pellets on a new pallet by hand. The drivers I get usually refuse (quite rightly) to try to move them about if the ground isn't good enough.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I just lt them drop them off wherever is easiest and then break the pallet up and move them to where I want them.
TBH some of the drivers do struggle with getting a ton onto the tail lift with the pallet truck so I usually get on and help them push it.

Daisy100

New User
Visit site
I had one wanted to just push whole pallet off side of lorry!
Told him that was not going to happen and we unloaded whole lot by hand onto side of road and then had to barrow sacks to stables, a lot of work!

Yardbird

Visit site
Yes, I mean it looks hard for them to get it off the truck, never expected them to do more than that. I do not think it is straight forwards unless everything is totally level.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think you will find that all the delivery lorries that deliver pallets of pellets use a pallet truck to move them onto the tail lift. They use this same method for everything they deliver on pallets. They do this every day & certainly the drivers I've had deliver have no problem of loading. The main issue is that people order & book a delivery onto a yard that does not have a concrete or tarmac surface to off load onto. With an incline. a gravel surface etc the [pallet truck will not roll & that causes the issue.

Additionally the companies only say they will deliver to roadside, any delivery onto a yard etc is purely at the drivers discretion.

BigPony

Visit site
I love pellets- but hate the deliveries! It puts me off buying them in bulk and I will no doubt end up paying more to buy them from a shop rather than dealing with the hassle.

I've had them delivered to home in a curtain sided lorry with no tail lift- so a ton unloaded a bag at a time by hand.

I've had them delivered and when I've asked for them to leave a gap to the garage door so I could open it, and they haven't. So I've moved a ton a foot in one direction so I could open the door, then 3 feet back in the opposite direction.

I've had deliveries where they've half fallen off the pallet leaving bags of pellets split on the drive and an absolute mess to sort out.

If it's not that it's split bags, losing a couple of bags straight off. The delivery companies are just awful sometimes, not necessarily the individual drivers but the inadequate equipment they send them with.

jrp204

Visit site
We had a load of wood delivered, the guy pulled it on the tail lift and didn't get the brake on quick enough and had to jump off the tail lift, luckily the wood stayed on the tail lift it it could have been really nasty.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I get them delivered to the 'top yard'' where it is flat then hand ball them to my storage area, it's a right pain but only once a year. I usually stand with my heart in my mouth when they use the pallet trucks as it has never gone smoothly