Wood pellet users

9tails

Visit site
Me too I love wood pellets - we have 2 stables & put Platinum Plus in one & Pure in the other to trial & have found the plat plus although darker are much more absorbent & easier. I put in 8 bags for 12 x 12 stable & only lift the wet once a week & replace with one bag - the bed is more stable & cushioned, so much cleaner, so much less waste, saves time, saves money, outside stable area less messy, the list is endless of the pros & having used all the other bedding materials out there I would never go back

I'm finding this too, I've bought a pallet of Pure and they're beautiful. So white. But they're definitely not as absorbent as Platinum Plus nor do they bulk up like PP so will bite the bullet and get PP again next year. I shall keep schtum outside of this forum though as I've recommended them to a couple of fellow liveries. Luckily they haven't used PP so will know no different.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I'm finding this too, I've bought a pallet of Pure and they're beautiful. So white. But they're definitely not as absorbent as Platinum Plus nor do they bulk up like PP so will bite the bullet and get PP again next year. I shall keep schtum outside of this forum though as I've recommended them to a couple of fellow liveries. Luckily they haven't used PP so will know no different.

Hehe - its strange though as I was convinced I would love the brightness of the Pure but actually the Plat Plus has worked much better on absorbency & bulk - don't forget to see if there's a discount code as above - so refreshing to actually find a good cost saving horsey product isn't it!

meleeka

Visit site

They sound very much like Pets at Home brand. I think they could be one of the same.

Squirily

Visit site
Wish I had seen this thread sooner. Just moved over to wood pellets too, using them on top of mats. Have one pony who is very clean and can semi deep litter, get away with adding one bag every 10 days. My others are very messy and I don’t think I make much of a cost saving (one is a box walking, hay dunking beast. After one day I had to remove 80% of bed and start again!). I now have a modest bed for 2 and just a tiny sprinkle in the worst one, I remove wet and poo every day. I get through 3-4 bags a week each for the dirtier horses, I find it best to not let the bed get too low before adding a bag of unsoaked pellets and mixing it into the whole bed. I’ve been using sorbeo so can’t comment on other pellets, but I notice platinum pellets get mentioned a lot. They seemed more expensive than sorbeo when I last ordered but would be interested to know difference in quality if anyone has tried both?

Does anyone have a good fork they use to muck out with? I have a plastic one which is now missing some of its prongs and needs replacing. I have a fyna lite rubber matting fork as well but find it too heavy compared to the plastic one.
I don't think I could use any other bedding now, although most of my horses are still disgusting creatures they are a lot drier, also my OH hasn't complained that I smell like an old peoples home since switching to pellets! But will have to see how dusty they get in summer when they're not in as much.

chaps89

Visit site
Just thought I'd update this as I seem to have cracked it!
I'm now doing a daily skip out. Then on a Wednesday I take the wet out and roughly turn the bed about. Saturday I do a neater job and leave the bed up to air properly during the day. On this basis I'm only using 2 bags a week. Hurrah!
I found just doing 1 full muck out at the weekend was back breaking and miserable. The bed was solid and I was taking 2+ barrows of wet out at a time and still needing 3 bags of bedding a week.