wood shavings supply issues

Surbie

Visit site
I used to use Vida, which I loved, but the delivery was erratic because of Brexit, lorry queues at Dover etc according to the supplier. Then the price started rocketing and I switched to miscanthus. Which is now in fairly short supply - rumour is that Easypack aren't going to be doing it anymore, nor the small bale timothy haylage, which will be a royal pain as I can't store big bales.

marmalade76

Visit site
it was mole I rang this morning to order 50. I had no idea there was a problem and was told they didn't have any, didn't have any on order either. Another mole sold their last 2 this morning, had none delivered today when expected.
When I ask why I was told that it was due to woodburners. The manufacturers of shavings had realised their product commanded a higher price when made into logs.

Another told me there were less shavings as the wood was being sold as firewood and a third told me Ukraine.

Anyone know if any of those are correct or what the reason is for the shortage.

Britestar, why is bedding in short supply, obviously things like eqinola are if people cannot get shavings but why can't they get shavings? It hasn't been in the past has it?
Do you anticipate the situation improving?

I was told shavings are going for biomass, makes sense with the cost of gas and heating oil shooting up. What shavings are available have gone up in price.

Merrymoles

Visit site
We are limited as to what we are allowed to use on our yard - wood pellets, shavings or straw basically.

We usually buy our shavings from a local sawmill but in January they didn't have any because they had not been manufacturing. However, they emailed last week so say they are up and running again so we are dithering about whether to get some now (bales tend to get moved about a lot in the summer and damaged) or to eke out our last seven bales between the two until they go out 24/7

jnb

Visit site
From where I'm sitting, shavings are made 300 yards away in one direction, and wood pellets 5 miles away in the opposite direction. There's no shortage of either, but the pellet price has gone through the roof so I no longer buy them (the price has actually just come down a bit because everyone is looking for an alternative) and the quality of the shavings has dropped, and they are definitely not squishing as much in the bales as they use to.

I've gone over to flax bedding, works out much cheaper, much easier to muck out, less wasteful, and I can get a pallet of it delivered whenever I want.

Which flax bedding do you use please, and comparison to Aubiose please? Tbh Aubiose is almost the same price or cheaper than shavings nowadays which is bonkers consdering it's imported from France plus Brexit...hardly very green but needs must

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Which flax bedding do you use please, and comparison to Aubiose please? Tbh Aubiose is almost the same price or cheaper than shavings nowadays which is bonkers consdering it's imported from France plus Brexit...hardly very green but needs must

ECOflax, works out at £9/bale - I'm using about 1.5 bales a week for two horses. I just added a bale into the remains of their existing beds to get started (I'm too tight to chuck out perfectly good bedding).

And I agree, this stuff is coming from France and I'm using it because I can't afford the shavings produced behind my house or the pellets produced 5 miles away :rolleyes:

Reactions: jnb

paddy555

Visit site
We are limited as to what we are allowed to use on our yard - wood pellets, shavings or straw basically.

We usually buy our shavings from a local sawmill but in January they didn't have any because they had not been manufacturing. However, they emailed last week so say they are up and running again so we are dithering about whether to get some now (bales tend to get moved about a lot in the summer and damaged) or to eke out our last seven bales between the two until they go out 24/7
if that was me I would sort a better moving system out and get stocked up whilst you can. If you don't you may regret it come the Autumn. I think it is going to be a case of grab whatever is available.

Sealine

Visit site
I'm still using my stockpile of Hunters from before Xmas. Hopefully I've got enough to last another 3 months and then I'm going to start stockpiling for next winter. 😟

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
i spoke to someone the other day about this as we went to 3 mole valley stores and they were all sold out of any types of shavings apparently the saw mills which newflake bedmax etc use are all only working 2/3 days a week due to low staff and stock so there is a low supply going out hope that helps

Sheep

Visit site
We are having issues here too, @Equi was it DF you were getting bedding from previously?
A friend uses the flax bedding but the supply doesn’t seem to be that reliable.
We are just getting shavings from wherever we can and adding straw pellets, seems to do a decent job.

Merrymoles

Visit site
if that was me I would sort a better moving system out and get stocked up whilst you can. If you don't you may regret it come the Autumn. I think it is going to be a case of grab whatever is available.

Would love to but they are in the hay barn so they all have to come out when the hay goes in and we never have a date for that. At the mercy of the yard unfortunately.

mariew

Visit site
Mine is on full livery at the moment but is going on straw when I take her on DIY. No way am I paying that much for pellets and shavings. She can just suck it up.

Mudfukkle

Visit site
I personally couldn't get on with cardboard at all. I found I couldn't see any small bits of droppings, where they had kicked it around. I just didn't like it. I've now gone over to Flaxbiose, which I believe is made by Aubiose? Anyway, it's not a bad price, compared to some and it's easy to muck out. I also tried the chopped straw, but I didn't like that either, so sticking with Flaxbiose.

Equi

Visit site
We are having issues here too, @Equi was it DF you were getting bedding from previously?
A friend uses the flax bedding but the supply doesn’t seem to be that reliable.
We are just getting shavings from wherever we can and adding straw pellets, seems to do a decent job.
Yes and I miss him badly! Lol

L&M

Visit site
Shortages in mid wales too - was told shavings down to down turn in building industry, and wood pellets becoming more expensive as being sold more for fuel due to the Ukraine situation......I can't get a bale for less than £10 so have chucked ours out in hope spring is just around the corner!!!!

PurBee

Visit site
Ireland has had a fine supply this winter of shavings - theyre likely home-produced via the forestry here - maybe try northern ireland suppliers (who likely self-produce there or get from south ireland) as the import/customs wont be a hassle.

gallopingby

Visit site
Am I the winner in the shortage of shavings competition. FOURTEEN pounds a bale for small flake. :eek::eek::eek:

I declined. :rolleyes:
Blimmey there does seem to be a problem with shavings which vary in availability from week to week. I can still find them for £7.50 as opposed to £10.50 in some places, moved onto straw for a while but quickly changed back.