Working beardies

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
WE had one many, many moons ago. Mother was the beardie, dad the border and both worked. His coat was a nightmare to look after on a farm, he took more to the beardie side. My friend had a pure beardie and she stayed with me for two weeks while they went on holiday. The day before they came back while on a walk she rolled in some luminous green, spring grass cow shit. She loved it so much she ran round the field trying every pile out for size while a mad woman ran around trying to catch her screaming ever more heartfelt swear words. God she was a mess, a green, dripping mess. I wish I had taken a photo before I started to try cleaning her up but I was traumatised. Her coat was a very knotty mess and she return home still green, despite many baths, and some lumps of her coat missing. Luckily they had already decided to trim her so they weren't worried. They did ask me the next year but I couldn't bring myself to.

Moobli

Visit site
WE had one many, many moons ago. Mother was the beardie, dad the border and both worked. His coat was a nightmare to look after on a farm, he took more to the beardie side. My friend had a pure beardie and she stayed with me for two weeks while they went on holiday. The day before they came back while on a walk she rolled in some luminous green, spring grass cow shit. She loved it so much she ran round the field trying every pile out for size while a mad woman ran around trying to catch her screaming ever more heartfelt swear words. God she was a mess, a green, dripping mess. I wish I had taken a photo before I started to try cleaning her up but I was traumatised. Her coat was a very knotty mess and she return home still green, despite many baths, and some lumps of her coat missing. Luckily they had already decided to trim her so they weren't worried. They did ask me the next year but I couldn't bring myself to.

Oh dear 😂. I couldn’t help but giggle at that image! (Especially because I didn’t have to clean up the mess)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Her coat was a very knotty mess and she return home still green, despite many baths, and some lumps of her coat missing. Luckily they had already decided to trim her so they weren't worried. They did ask me the next year but I couldn't bring myself to.

my beardie border cross loved to roll-most memorably on a really hot day he found a putrid fox and we had to drive home for an hour with the windows open and bath him in tomato juice twice to get the smell to a reasonable level. The other time I like to think it was poo from a dog with really bad diarrhoea-he was so covered in it around his neck and head I couldnt get the lead back on without touching it. Never known a dog like it for rolling in bad things.

congrats on the pup Moobli, very cute.

Moobli

Visit site
Archie. He’s such a character! He’s just started on sheep a couple of times a week and so far so good. He has an old head on young shoulders.

Attachments

• 33DBF700-7A08-486E-ACB2-4A6BCF5CC538.jpeg
    33DBF700-7A08-486E-ACB2-4A6BCF5CC538.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 30A31593-5E63-4621-B804-A3BDADB2BDB0.jpeg
    30A31593-5E63-4621-B804-A3BDADB2BDB0.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 6F31835A-BB83-40E4-8969-5EA8F63A7921.jpeg
    6F31835A-BB83-40E4-8969-5EA8F63A7921.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 32
  • F353F58D-E349-4506-B922-0F9630C5B5A2.jpeg
    F353F58D-E349-4506-B922-0F9630C5B5A2.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 32

Moobli

Visit site
Archie is doing really well. He has definitely taken his looks from his beardie mother but his working style is quite border collie-esque, so hubby is very happy with him.

The breeder asked whether we would consider training her pup, Archie's sister, for her but after some deliberation we offered to buy her instead so we now have two working beardies. She also looks like a beardie and works more like a beardie and is quite a way behind her brother so far, possibly because she has had a different upbringing but hopefully once lambing is out of the way we can get stuck in to her training too.

I will add photos when the site stops telling me there is a server problem.

cava14una

Visit site
Look forward to seeing the photos. Beardie Border crosses are great dogs do you find that Archie is more vocal than a Border Collie?

Moobli

Visit site
Look forward to seeing the photos. Beardie Border crosses are great dogs do you find that Archie is more vocal than a Border Collie?

No he is actually really quiet, both in his kennel and at work. His sister on the other hand is very noisy in the kennel (but quiet working so far) and it drives OH mad! I think she got into a habit of barking and bouncing in the kennel before coming to us so it isn't an easy thing to fix. Hopefully lots of training and work will do the trick.