Working from home with horses

atropa

Visit site
So due to coronavirus my working routine has changed over the past week and I will now be working from home for the foreseeable (finance sector so luckily I can do a lot from home). Horses are also now at home which is a bit of a novelty.
Would be really interested to hear from others who work from home and what their routines are, hoping to possibly use it to my advantage to make better horsey use of my time whilst we are still allowed to ride!

Wheels

Visit site
The main benefit for me is that I do not have to commute - that saves me 2-3 hours per day

I tend to keep the same hours i would normally work but means i can get out to ride an hour or so earlier than normal as no travel. I will also sometimes start earlier and finish later but take a longer lunch break and ride at lunch.

tatty_v

Visit site
I save myself nearly 4hrs a day by not commuting, so I’m doing my stable myself (as opposed to my livery doing it) and riding before work, all whilst starting at the same time and finishing a bit later. So more horses and more work done!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you don't need to stick to normal hours, I found it best to work first, and ride as your reward for finishing the work. But I'm not an early riser, that could work better for some people.

Last edited:

TGM

Visit site
Daughter has two horses kept at home which she was getting ready for eventing before everything was cancelled. Up to January she was doing a 4 hour commute, but in February got another job which entails working from home full time. We have four horses in total and they are out overnight and in during the day. I bring them all in first thing in the morning and feed. She comes down and mucks hers out and soaks hay for her special needs horse. She works a strict nine to five and shuts herself away in the office during that time. Then rides one at lunchtime and now the evenings are lighter often the other one after work. Then she feeds them all, hays the fields and chucks them all out.

Works very well at the moment1

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm starting a tiny bit earlier at 6.30. Working till 10 then going to the yard as theres no one there then. Ponies done and back home to work the rest of my hours, while someone else catches in for me.

jj_87

Visit site
I work from home normally. I get up at 5.20, out on the horses by 6:30 and at my desk for 8:30, have a hour lunch if needed and finish at 5pm.

Winter I work from 7:30 and then have a 2 hour lunch to ride in :)

Get washed and dressed into your jods and you are ready to go!

Joyous70

Visit site
I am now working from home - unfortunately for me as i am tied to a phone line 9-5 i cannot escape to ride, so am keeping to my normal hours, yard turn out for me in the morning, and i go up after 5pm to muck out, ,ride and put her to bed, positive for me is that i get to the yard earlier to ride and do jobs. I suppose i could get up and go ride and do jobs before i start work, but i would rather not be rushing/clock watching to have to be back home in time.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have good intentions doing work from home but it's very easy to get distracted especially when the better weather starts, I sometimes try and cram it into a few days as it doesn't matter as long as it's done, sorry I am no good at this at all ignore my rubbish advice lol:p

eggs

Visit site
I usually work from home about 90% of the time (now 100%) and have the horses at home.

I tend to get up early and feed and turn them out and then start work about 7:30 then do the stables at lunchtime, ride late afternoon and finish working about 6 ish

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I start between 6.30 and 7 and this usually means I can be out the door by about 3 or half past to ride. i do keep an eye on my phone though and often reply to emails or take calls from the yard as most of the team work the standard 9-5ish.
work gone mad at the moment though so got some longer days coming up.

skint1

Visit site
Right now I am bringing my laptop to the yard with me and hotspotting from my IPad in the morning and then working from home in the afternoon/evening. I often work flexibly so I am used to the pitfalls and perils but a lot of people in my organisation are finding it hard, so we are having a lot of "keeping in touch" meetings this week and next.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have good intentions doing work from home but it's very easy to get distracted especially when the better weather starts, I sometimes try and cram it into a few days as it doesn't matter as long as it's done, sorry I am no good at this at all ignore my rubbish advice lol:p

Ha, very honest. This would be me too. I would get it all done, but it would be tempting to do the horses while the sun shines (both physically and metaphorically).

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Ha, very honest. This would be me too. I would get it all done, but it would be tempting to do the horses while the sun shines (both physically and metaphorically).

I am very lucky as I work for my oh and he is very understanding and not that demanding so I do take advantage, I feel very naughty sometimes though especially when he rings and asks what I am doing! I then think oh crap I have literally got no work done so have to quickly go and do some, just to justify my lovely free and easy day lol.