Working Hunter for Dummies

FunkyFilly28

Visit site
Hello,

In a couple of weeks I'm entering a local show which has an open 2ft 3'' - 2ft 6'' WH class so I decided we'd give it a go as usually the jumps are a bit big by the time we get to the horse classes!

I don't really have much clue on what is expected of me though so some tips and info would be much appreciated!

1. What is the dress code? Can I wear a navy show jacket or does it need to be a hacking one? Tie/stock? Hat cover colour? Type of whip?

2. Can my horse wear a martingale/boots/bit other than a snaffle? Can he wear his black sheepskin numnah?

3. Will I be required to do an individual show? If so, what do you suggest?

4. Will there be gates/water trough style fences to jump?

Sorry for all the questions but I usually stick to showjumping!

Thank you :)

comet&joe

Visit site
Hello,

In a couple of weeks I'm entering a local show which has an open 2ft 3'' - 2ft 6'' WH class so I decided we'd give it a go as usually the jumps are a bit big by the time we get to the horse classes!

I don't really have much clue on what is expected of me though so some tips and info would be much appreciated!

1. What is the dress code? Can I wear a navy show jacket or does it need to be a hacking one? Tie/stock? Hat cover colour? Type of whip?

2. Can my horse wear a martingale/boots/bit other than a snaffle? Can he wear his black sheepskin numnah?

3. Will I be required to do an individual show? If so, what do you suggest?

4. Will there be gates/water trough style fences to jump?

Sorry for all the questions but I usually stick to showjumping!

Thank you :)

Best of luck in the show! im sure you will be bringing home all 1st prizes :D
1. dress code- You normally wear a tweed jacket(hacking one i think), tie, and i dont think the hat is too important but i think a navy or black one. And any kind of whip i think!
2. Your horse can wear anything as it helps him jump and stuff if he needs it! im sure he can wear the numnah but most times i see ponies with brown/black/grey/white ones. so not too sure on this! im sure it would be ok.
3. normally you have to do a show. its simple though. you do your figure of eight and canter in top and bottom corners. and then go for a mad gallop at the end! canter, trot, walk, halt, not your head :D
4. there could be any type of fences really. Water jumps/steps/fences etc. but they are all going to be safe. anything will be there that you would see cross country! sometimes the course could just be fences with bushes and stuff!

Hope i helped and any more questions feel free to ask:D best of luck again!!:D

be positive

Visit site
You should wear tweed if you can with shirt/tie/ cream jods/long boots,carry a short jumping whip.
As its a local show a navy jacket would be ok.
Wear the horses usual tack but without any bling!! a discrete black numnah not saddle cloth,boots can be worn for jumping then removed before you go back in.
Jumps can be varied it will depend what the course builder has but often at local shows the jumps are rather boring .
The judge usually rides but if you have to do a show,keep it simple, walk out turn left/right trot round in front of line up change rein ,canter change rein through trot then show a decent extended canter/gallop [controlled:rolleyes:] bring the horse smoothly back to walk/halt/salute in front of ,but not on top of,the judge.
Hope this helps and have a fun day.
Dont forget the horse should have mane plaited tail pulled and be trimmed also be squeaky clean :D

Spotsrock

Visit site
I have never been to a local show where judge rides. In terms of tack less is more and keep ur individual show short and organised.

charliesarmy

Visit site
Normally tweed jacket, with a coloured stock...or tie

Horse normal tack with no colours ie browband,boots,numnah..black numnah should be fine, boots can be worn in jumping phases, but removed for ridden phase.

Ridden Phase Normally judge will have you all go round together,trot,canter both reins,may ask for extended along one side then back to collected

individule show, normally walk away from judge,trot back to judge, figure 8 trot figure 8 canter then a gallop along a long side back to canter,trot,walk square halt salute back to line up, BUT some judges tell you what show to do! if I'm told short sharp show I do 1/2 figure 8's

Good luck :)

FunkyFilly28

Visit site
Thanks for the information and wishing me luck. We practised a straw bale this morning and pulled some twigs and leaves off a tree to decorate the showjumps!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The only other point to mention is that you should be jumping in a fluid hunting style, rather than showjumping the fences. They will NOT be like xc fences, they will not be fixed but even at a local show the fillers could be 'interesting'. There may be a gate. You should also remember to go up to the judge to say 'good morning' before you start, there will be no bell to signal the start of the round.
Good luck! Enjoy yourselves.