Working or famous horses, Cortez, anyone else?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I appreciate that it will hard work with long often boring days for not many minutes of total madness but what an awesome job horses and history .
Cortez I doff my virtual featherd hat at you .

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Who have no clam to fame except that we once parked next to and had a nice talk with Supreme Rock and his owner ad Canter for a Cure in MK about three/four years ago.

The Devils Horsesman are about 10 minutes from my yard.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I knew what Cortez does already. I feel special now for somehow having internet stalked someone enough to know they have a cool job. That's pretty pathetic isn't it? :p

And Goldenstar I am in no way surprised you have ridden at that level, you always sound like you know what you're doing! Would love to see a picture of you though :)

Spring Feather

Visit site
Super photos Cortez. I always enjoy hearing about what you do but didn't know your portfolio was so large. Well done!

One of my mares is the dam of the mare who played Silver in the Johnny Depp Lone Ranger movie. I have just sold her full sister and there's no plans for her being a movie star like her sister.

Ibblebibble

Visit site
The village (yes broke_but_happy it's called cockington ;)) is famous and a massive tourist attraction and we got our picture taken all the time so I suspect I am in holiday snaps all over the world.

Lol I used to livery near and ride through the national trust village of lacock and had my picture taken and filmed regularly, so i am famous around the world too :D must be something to do with having cock in the name of the village!!

BBP

Visit site
My Lord of the Rings boys. Don't have any pics of them from the movie but thought they deserve a picture from their much tougher day job!
The gorgeous boys, Seth, Sullivan, Elvis, Kysharn
image_zps2a2c166b.jpg

Mac
image_zpsc7a7895f.jpg

And Presley 'the Bulldozer'
image_zps4c35f090.jpg

A great bunch of horses and lots of great stories from my friends who rode them of false beards and broken noses during the battle in the woods, plus naughty ponies carting off with hobbits.

Caledonia

Visit site
e8a6e26c-8b30-427a-bea2-ce33033fe1cc_zps62e4ffc5.jpg

BEFORE The Incident............

The script was along the lines of "2 Georgian gentlemen discuss the merits of their horses without wanting to get their shoes dirty by going to stables, so horses are brought in by grooms", or something like that.

Having just been in touch with Royal County Equine that owned these two horses in this particular shoot, they'd like it to be made plain that neither horse ever belonged to Cortez.

Would be interesting if Cortez could even name then?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Having just been in touch with Royal County Equine that owned these two horses in this particular shoot, they'd like it to be made plain that neither horse ever belonged to Cortez.

I didn't say I owned them, I said I worked them on a shoot - what's your problem? Ask them if they remember them pooping! I own 3 horses - most people who work horses in film don't own them all!

hezza1

Visit site

There is allways one !! thoroughly enjoying this thread, Cortez i am fasinated keep the pics coming

lastchancer

www.facebook.com

She never claimed she did? Little bit jealous of Cortez's celebrity are we? Dear oh dear lol

Caledonia

Visit site
I didn't say I owned them, I said I worked them on a shoot - what's your problem? Ask them if they remember them pooping! I own 3 horses - most people who work horses in film don't own them all!

I don't have a problem at all, but the owners, whom I've known for over 20 years thought it a bit odd that you implied these horses were part of your film stable. Especially as they themselves 'worked' them on the shoot.

Caledonia

Visit site
She never claimed she did? Little bit jealous of Cortez's celebrity are we? Dear oh dear lol

Don't be ridiculous - I have known these horses for nearly all of their respective lives, and they are most certainly nothing to do with Cortez.

Last edited:

kerenza

Visit site
My Lord of the Rings boys. Don't have any pics of them from the movie but thought they deserve a picture from their much tougher day job!
The gorgeous boys, Seth, Sullivan, Elvis, Kysharn
image_zps2a2c166b.jpg

Mac
image_zpsc7a7895f.jpg

And Presley 'the Bulldozer'
image_zps4c35f090.jpg

A great bunch of horses and lots of great stories from my friends who rode them of false beards and broken noses during the battle in the woods, plus naughty ponies carting off with hobbits.

Is this Dart stables (think that was the name)? Looks like it to me, think I recognise Elvis:) I rode there when travelling around NZ - a little TB with the lovely name of Knobby!

doriangrey

Visit site
I have no claim to fame at all but as I live in the same country as Cortez I'll take a bit by proxy :D Just staying on the same kind of theme, what is your favourite horse/bit of horse footage? I liked Seabiscuit, hated Warhorse, didn't mind the Horse Whisperer (Robert Redford, so no brainer), but the bit that gets me a little teary is when Gandalf whistles Shadowfax in 'The Two Towers' - I think it's that part of the trilogy. That beautiful, white horse that gallops up to the wonderful Shadowfax theme music and then puts his head in Gandalf's hands kills me every time! I know there's probably a horse treat in there somewhere but I'd love to know who owned/trained that horse. Also, do they use the same horse or doubles? Like when Shadowfax is galloping through Gondor - is it the same horse. Kudos though, to the trainers.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Ah - there's always one -one doing what, exactly - clarifying the reality behind that shoot?

Excuse me? Were you there? These were part, and only part, of a 5 day shoot involving 9 horses (or 7 horses and 2 ponies, to be pedantic), 2 whippets, and a pig. And some people. The only names I remember are the 2 horses I own. It was two years ago, I ran the entire shoot at Castletown House, extras, costumes, art direction, hair and make up and co-ordination between all elements. If anyone has a problem with that they can contact my office. I really don't understand your problem, what is it?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have no claim to fame at all but as I live in the same country as Cortez I'll take a bit by proxy :D Just staying on the same kind of theme, what is your favourite horse/bit of horse footage? I liked Seabiscuit, hated Warhorse, didn't mind the Horse Whisperer (Robert Redford, so no brainer), but the bit that gets me a little teary is when Gandalf whistles Shadowfax in 'The Two Towers' - I think it's that part of the trilogy. That beautiful, white horse that gallops up to the wonderful Shadowfax theme music and then puts his head in Gandalf's hands kills me every time! I know there's probably a horse treat in there somewhere but I'd love to know who owned/trained that horse. Also, do they use the same horse or doubles? Like when Shadowfax is galloping through Gondor - is it the same horse. Kudos though, to the trainers.

The main horse was a quite elderly PRE (now gone, poor fella) - and no, I don't remember HIS name either - the TRAINER (not owner) and double for Ian McKellan was a friend of mine, very good guy. And yes, treats do play quite a big part in the more unbelievable, soppy bits of nuzzling, foot waving and whickering that are called for in film.

Please note: I was NOT there, I am NOT claiming I trained or owned Shadowfax. I DO know the man who rode the horse for that air shot and I do know how these things are done. Happy?

Last edited:

Caledonia

Visit site
Excuse me? Were you there? These were part, and only part, of a 5 day shoot involving 9 horses (or 7 horses and 2 ponies, to be pedantic), 2 whippets, and a pig. And some people. The only names I remember are the 2 horses I own. It was two years ago, I ran the entire shoot at Castletown House, extras, costumes, art direction, hair and make up and co-ordination between all elements. If anyone has a problem with that they can contact my office. I really don't understand your problem, what is it?

Like I said, I don't have a problem. The owner of the horses isn't on here, but saw this - partly my fault as I sent them this link wondering if they even knew you because I was quite aghast at your implication that these horses were anything to do with you. I'm posting with the full consent of the owners of these stallions, Royal County Equines, who were unhappy at your initial portrayal at these horses being part of your stable, and then you saying you worked them on the shoot. One of the actual owners was in the shoot, holding the younger stallion.

Feel free to take it up with them directly - I'm simply putting the record straight as was asked.

Feival

Visit site
I know Billy Toomey's Tinka's Serenade and looked after her for a little while, pre Billy having her. A friend of mine worked in NZ with some of the horses from LOTR. Also my ex boss is a stunt rider, Him and his horses have been in The Mask of Zorro, two Harry Potter's, Da Vinci's demons, and the up coming films Cinderella and Exodus.

doriangrey

Visit site
The main horse was a quite elderly PRE (now gone, poor fella) - and no, I don't remember HIS name either - the TRAINER (not owner) and double for Ian McKellan was a friend of mine, very good guy. And yes, treats do play quite a big part in the more unbelievable, soppy bits of nuzzling, foot waving and whickering that are called for in film.

Please note: I was NOT there, I am NOT claiming I trained or owned Shadowfax. I DO know the man who rode the horse for that air shot and I do know how these things are done. Happy?

Eek! I wasn't questioning you at all!

Charem

Visit site
I did some freelance work for a company that provides horses for film and reenactment work. Absolutely loved it, and can reiterate just how genuine the horses have to be for the actors who weren't the most able to say the least.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Like I said, I don't have a problem. The owner of the horses isn't on here, but saw this - partly my fault as I sent them this link wondering if they even knew you because I was quite aghast at your implication that these horses were anything to do with you. I'm posting with the full consent of the owners of these stallions, Royal County Equines, who were unhappy at your initial portrayal at these horses being part of your stable, and then you saying you worked them on the shoot. One of the actual owners was in the shoot, holding the younger stallion.

Feel free to take it up with them directly - I'm simply putting the record straight as was asked.

I have nothing to "take up"; you seem to have a problem with what exactly? I have never claimed to own these horses, if I owned all the horses that work on shoots that I run I would need to own half of County Meath to keep them on; that's the way the industry runs. The requirements of each shoot are different; if the call is for two grey horses and I only have one, then other horses are sourced. If I'm co-ordinating, then I'm working (or wrangling) the animals. Perhaps the terminology is confusing you.

The people who owned the two horses used in that particular scene were charming and competent (apart from the pooping!) and a pleasure to work with -please pass that bit on would you?

Last edited:

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
It wouldn't matter if Cortez was merely an errand runner on the shoots (although she clearly isn't anyway), she's sharing her experience and giving us a fascinating insight to the horses part in the film industry. A thoroughly enjoyable thread apart from Caledonia s mind boggling snipes.