Working or famous horses, Cortez, anyone else?

cptrayes

Visit site
Cortez, I would really love to know what films we've seen your horses in, can you tell us about them?

Does anyone else own a film star or famous horse?

BBP

Visit site
Not my own but 8 of the lovely trekking horses I groomed for in NZ were in Lord of the Rings as steeds for the riders of Rohan, does that count?! I got some interesting stories about the filming whilst working out there! If I can find a picture I'll post it later.

Arizahn

Visit site
I don't own a famous one, but baby pony did share a field once or twice with one of the dressage horses from Yvette Truesdale's yard. It was on holiday at the time. Very nice animal.

cptrayes

Visit site
Not my own but 8 of the lovely trekking horses I groomed for in NZ were in Lord of the Rings as steeds for the riders of Rohan, does that count?! I got some interesting stories about the filming whilst working out there! If I can find a picture I'll post it later.

Yes please :)

cptrayes

Visit site
I don't own a famous one, but baby pony did share a field once or twice with one of the dressage horses from Yvette Truesdale's yard. It was on holiday at the time. Very nice animal.

A friend of mine met the top event horse Priceless once when he was laid off. She said he looked like a total donkey, so common it was unbelievable what he was capable of!

Goldenstar

Visit site
My OH once opened a copy of the daily express( I think it was the DE ) in a an air port once to find a large picture of me on my Favorite horse at Blenhiem advertising a competition to win tickets does that count ?

TwyfordM

Visit site
I knew mac the horse from big barn farm :) he was a lovely lad owned by my mums friend. Seeing him "talk" was interesting :p

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Cortez, I would really love to know what films we've seen your horses in, can you tell us about them?

Does anyone else own a film star or famous horse?

Ho! Well that depends on what films you've seen, I suppose, and we mostly do historical TV documentaries, not so many actual features. Let's see, off the top of my head "Braveheart", "King Arthur", "The Abduction Club", one of the "Lassie" remakes (with the late Peter O'Toole") - side saddle in the hunting scene in that one, "Henry V" (Kenneth Brannagh version), "Treasure Island" remake, "Tristan & Isolde" (straight to video, I should imagine), "The Virgin & the Warrior" (US release only), "Ella Enchanted", "Your Highness", "Reign of Fire", loads of made-for-TV "Whatever Love Means" (story of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer: absolutely awful), "Moonfleet", "Cromwell" doc, "Death or Canada" doc, some David Sharkey docs, "Time Team", "Ripper Street", "Game of Thrones", "Vikings", could go on for ages but would bore you all. It's not as much fun as you might think, and the horses work hard so we pick and choose very carefully.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Ho! Well that depends on what films you've seen, I suppose, and we mostly do historical TV documentaries, not so many actual features. Let's see, off the top of my head "Braveheart", "King Arthur", "The Abduction Club", one of the "Lassie" remakes (with the late Peter O'Toole") - side saddle in the hunting scene in that one, "Henry V" (Kenneth Brannagh version), "Treasure Island" remake, "Tristan & Isolde" (straight to video, I should imagine), "The Virgin & the Warrior" (US release only), "Ella Enchanted", "Your Highness", "Reign of Fire", loads of made-for-TV "Whatever Love Means" (story of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer: absolutely awful), "Moonfleet", "Cromwell" doc, "Death or Canada" doc, some David Sharkey docs, "Time Team", "Ripper Street", "Game of Thrones", "Vikings", could go on for ages but would bore you all. It's not as much fun as you might think, and the horses work hard so we pick and choose very carefully.

Game of thrones OMG we were talking about that out hacking today it was a bit foggy and the field was full of crows and it was very game of thrones .
Was the horse at the end with part of its face missing yours ? Made a big impression on my groom that scene did.
How did they do that was it make up or was it added later.

cptrayes

Visit site
My OH once opened a copy of the daily express( I think it was the DE ) in a an air port once to find a large picture of me on my Favorite horse at Blenhiem advertising a competition to win tickets does that count ?

Of course! Didn't realise you'd done 4 * GS

Forgot to mention is my horse and me on the cover of Feet First, the barefoot book, so I'm a teeny bit famous too.

Last edited:

cundlegreen

Visit site
A friend of mine met the top event horse Priceless once when he was laid off. She said he looked like a total donkey, so common it was unbelievable what he was capable of!
I saw Desert Orchid up at Rossdales when he was recovering from colic. Seriously ugly, looked nothing like a racehorse, although he had then retired.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
On-setfilming_zps9cb30a96.jpg

Oh OK.............here's a typical 5am, freezing cold, "just do it again (for the 23rd time) for the sound man, and can you ride right ON the cameraman please.........." pic.

cptrayes

Visit site
On-setfilming_zps9cb30a96.jpg

Oh OK.............here's a typical 5am, freezing cold, "just do it again (for the 23rd time) for the sound man, and can you ride right ON the cameraman please.........." pic.

Easier ways to earn money I'm sure, but terrific for impressing all of us on here and people you meet at parties :D

Do the film makers like Grey's a lot? I have read that they photograph better than other colours.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Great photo!

My big horse competed at 4* and was sponsored by Wow (before coming to me!!) so there is a lovely pic of him on the stand they use at Badminton/ Burghley etc. I always have a smile when I see it - even though it's a long time ago now they still haven't updated the photo!! and only last year updated their webs site.

Equinus

Visit site

As was Red Rum who used to spend his hols with my vet. First time I saw him, with head collar and rug held together with baler twine, I argued that it couldn't be him! He was tiny (I worked with huge dressage horses at the time) but no-one would nick him from the field!

Elsiecat

Visit site
Sorry to blow all of your famous horses out of the water.. But my horse is my mums screensaver.. Yup. That's right.

AdorableAlice

Visit site

At least he recognised the picture. My show hunter won at the Counties at few years ago and the pro picture was a lovely one. Duly bought it, framed it and put it on the wall at home.

The following year the show did it's normal advertising in newspapers and on flyers put on cars and lorries at other shows. I pulled the flyer off our lorry windscreen and said to my friend " look at that, lovely horse wouldn't mind owning that".

You do..............

Polos Mum

Visit site
I saw Milton at Leahurst at the vet college (broke every rule there was to sneak onto the yard to see him) he looked like a hairy dippy backed pony (tiny) but did have that look in his eye of "are you qualified to be looking at me" real attitude even at his ripe old age then.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Easier ways to earn money I'm sure, but terrific for impressing all of us on here and people you meet at parties :D

Do the film makers like Grey's a lot? I have read that they photograph better than other colours.

Don't be (impressed I mean); the film world is a dirty, cutthroat business and very, very hard work. Yes, greys are photogenic, as are blacks and anything prancy with a long mane, meaning that Spanish horses and Friesians have it about sewn up for fantasy/historical work. There are "background" horses, stunt horses and "actor's" horses - which have to look like the most romantic fiery stallion EVER and yet be rideable by someone who's probably never even seen a horse before and thinks that you can "act" riding.

cptrayes

Visit site
Don't be (impressed I mean); the film world is a dirty, cutthroat business and very, very hard work. Yes, greys are photogenic, as are blacks and anything prancy with a long mane, meaning that Spanish horses and Friesians have it about sewn up for fantasy/historical work. There are "background" horses, stunt horses and "actor's" horses - which have to look like the most romantic fiery stallion EVER and yet be rideable by someone who's probably never even seen a horse before and thinks that you can "act" riding.

So do you provide all three types? And do you have to find the rider too, or just the horses?

Do you have any trouble training then to carry odd stuff???

And how did you get into it - chance or planning?

This is fascinating, hope you don't mind the questions.