Worm counts

hock

Visit site
I need to do 15 worm counts and I’m wondering how much people pay and where from? Thank you

Griffin

Visit site
I ordered from Poopost on Wednesday and it arrived this morning. I paid £14 for a 3 horse kit and I thought that was really reasonable.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Westgate for me, I am happy to pay a bit more for a reliable service. £32 for a 4 count pack.

Worth checking if other places offer the same standard of testing.

How do I know the test is reliable?

Westgate Laboratories uses the industry standard ‘modified Mcmaster’ egg count method. Samples are prepared using a centrifuge to spin out more worm eggs from the faeces. Two slides are run out for examination under the microscope and an average count made of the two. This method is far superior to simple strained methods which you might find elsewhere.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I normally use Westgate but there was another post on here within the last week on this same topic and a few people said Poopost was cheaper so think I will use them next time.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
Poo post is very reasonable & cheapest I've found, very reliable & fast - I always have a text with my results within 2 days. They use the same testing technique as Westgate too as I looked into it.

paddy555

Visit site
Westgate for me, I am happy to pay a bit more for a reliable service. £32 for a 4 count pack.

Worth checking if other places offer the same standard of testing.

How do I know the test is reliable?

Westgate Laboratories uses the industry standard ‘modified Mcmaster’ egg count method. Samples are prepared using a centrifuge to spin out more worm eggs from the faeces. Two slides are run out for examination under the microscope and an average count made of the two. This method is far superior to simple strained methods which you might find elsewhere.

I am considering changing to poo post. (nothing to do with cost, that is irrelevant to me)
I used to get my results from Westgate on Tuesday (sent in Monday) or exceptionally on Wed. For the past 3 lots I have sent in (which have been several months apart) the quickest I have got results is Thursday (for this week's test) previous one was Saturday and before that Friday. I can appreciate post and lockdown but it seems to be continually late now when before it was very prompt.

below is what pp describe they do.

Faecal egg counts are performed using the industry standard modified mcmaster counting method, and presented as an EPG (eggs per gram) value.

The sample of dung is weighed into a test tube and Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) solution added to a specified level. After preparation, the sample is then spun in a centrifuge at 3000 rpm for a set amount of time. This allows the worm eggs to float to the top of the mixture and the debris to settle to the bottom, giving better egg recovery. The top layer of liquid is then syphoned off into a double chambered mcmaster slide. After 2 minutes time to allow any eggs to float to the surface, the slide is then counted underneath a 100x magnification microscope. The eggs counted are then calculated using the modified mcmaster calculation which then gives an "eggs per gram" value.

tda

Visit site
Westgate do a 10 horse yard pack at a reduced rate, might be worth a ring to see if they could do you a 15 horse special

paddy555

Visit site
I ordered from Poopost on Wednesday and it arrived this morning. I paid £14 for a 3 horse kit and I thought that was really reasonable.

did your kit have the gloves in it? my last kits from Westgate say they are not available. I didn't realise that until I had 8 samples ready to put into pots and no gloves. That was very difficult to deal with to prevent cross contamination.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Another happy poopost customer here, I used westgate in the past and think they are excellent particularly when you need advice. but with 7 horses to do every little helps.

hock

Visit site
I ordered with poopost mainly because they had the best name of course ?.

I thought the price was great and the customer service was first class. Thank you for your recommendations.

Griffin

Visit site
did your kit have the gloves in it? my last kits from Westgate say they are not available. I didn't realise that until I had 8 samples ready to put into pots and no gloves. That was very difficult to deal with to prevent cross contamination.

You can ask for gloves to be put in your kit :) My secret weapon though is I have a lolly stick for each horse to squish the poo into the pot without using fingers.