Worm egg counts, which company to use?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
As title really! I'd like to get my horses tested, there seem to be a lot of different places that do it so just wondering who everyone uses and how good they are? Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Always had good service from Westgate labs.
My vets offer some FECs as part of an annual health bundle so I use them too.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Westgate look good, I have 3 horses, is it worth getting 3 of the 4 count packs? Seems the best value way to do it. We've recently moved yards to somewhere where they have their own field having previously been in a shared one on a big yard. I would like to test them regularly.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have a lady who comes to the yard and does it in my tack room. You get to see the eggs yourself under the microscope (if any are present). She also has a weigh bridge and advises on the worming of each horse individually. Some owners choose to have the saliva test done too. She only charges £10 per horse for normal worm counts. £17.50 for tapeworm (saliva) counts.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I would always use a lab like Westgate (as it happens, I do my own). Not many practices have dedicated lab staff or even staff that are not pushed for time or trained in good laboratory practise. For rigorous testing and reproducibility, you need a decent lab imo.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was going to start doing my own WEC's, as I'm lab trained so could follow the protocol pretty easily. However, whilst it's easy to pick up an adequate s/h microscope on ebay, Westgate also centrifuge their samples, and I decided that it was easier to let the experts keep on doing their job rather than go centrifuge hunting as well.

Maybe if I had lots of horses I'd rethink it, but with only 3, it wasn't going to be worth it. I pay £30 for a 4 count pack, so £7.50 per test. The on going advice over several months that I had from Kristy at Westgate for my foster filly was excellent, too.

Sealine

Visit site
Another vote for Westgate. They were recommended by our vet practice. They are very helpful and give advice if you get abnormal results re: what you wormers you need to use etc.

Champers and Co

Visit site
I sent a sample to Westgate and never heard back! Although looking at this thread that must not be the norm....

Although to be fair its probably mostly my fault as I never really followed it up.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Another vote for Westgate. I used to use Abbey Diagnostics however they take so long to send the result to you & every time they have some excuse as to why it took that length of time. They are totally unproffesional, cheaper than Westgate but they are not reliable! :(