Worming for tapeworm - what wormer?

HashRouge

Visit site
Rubbish with brand names, but I know that the wormer I was using for tapeworm was discontinued last year, so was just wondering what people are using now? Is the saliva test accurate?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I did the equisal test with mine as not wanting to give equest pramox which seems to be what most people use these days - I think if we all dose with equest too often then we'll be up shit creek eventually for encysted small redworm. My tests came back clear and I'm planning to keep up with those to see if I can get away without needing to dose them.
Anyway...
Eqvalan duo, equimax are 2 other combined wormers that will treat tape
Strongid P and Pyratape P will do it with a double dose.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
so anything ending with a p (strongid/pyratape etc) = pyrantel embonate double dose if you want to avoid using a combined. - there is some resistance present to it though.
Alt is praziquantel in combined but I would always use an ivermectin not moxidectin combination (so eqvalan duo, equimax + others) afaik there isn't really any resistance to that one.

I see a lot of varying opinions about the saliva test. I think now many are only treating tapes once a year for some it's not such a big deal. I err on the side of treatment instead of using it.

Carrottom

Visit site
One of mine squealed when I used Pramox, I haven't used it again but he is now much more difficult to administer wormer.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’m using Pyratape p for mine but have worm counted and done an equisal test for one who got colic after last being wormed and has a delicate outlook!
It’s a pita they stopped Equitape but apparently a new solely tape worm treatment is out or coming out soon.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If you want straight Praziquantel, some vets are supplying it.
that's helpful to know :).

I'm not totally anti pramox but don't like it for horses with unknown history and F would show up hoof bruises when I did use it (on yard) but it co-incided with vaccination time so hard to decipher the absolute cause. I don't use it at 'home' as I don't do tapes at the same time as encysted redworm.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I’d use Equisal and see if you need it first... it’s a pretty nasty drug and tapeworms are getting more and more resistant. I think personally, tape testing result should be presented by mandate before allowing purchase.

In an ideal world obviously but last I checked that isn’t where we all live...

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I don't do tapes at the same time as encysted redworm.

That's my situation. Encysted has to be done at a certain time but ym prefers tapeworm to be done when we change from Summer/Winter fields. So mine were done with Moxidectin in January. I saliva test but one comes back positive each time. I have Equitape for this time *(vet confirmed it will still be OK to use) and I'll double dose Pyrantel in Autumn so I won't have to worry about getting straight Praz till this time next year

Borderreiver

Visit site
Yes the Equisal test is reliable. Go to reliable sources for your info rather than some of the rubbish spread on FB. It has been peer reviewed and written up in all the vet journals now so use with confidence. If you only need to treat tapeworm then a praziquantel wormer is available from vets, no need to use a combi wormer. Hope that helps, Westgate Labs.