Would a scar put you off buying a horse?

Tobiano

Visit site
Would only worry if the scar might be evidence of some trauma which would impact the functionality of the horse. Not 100% convinced every vetting would pick this up, so would steer clear if u had any doubts.

Asha

Visit site
Scars add character, imo. Provided the horse was fit for purpose and passed the vet etc, I'd not want any discount.

This ^^^. We bought a horse for our daughter, lovely big scar on her leg. Passed a 5 stage vetting, never had an issue with it.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Would only worry if the scar might be evidence of some trauma which would impact the functionality of the horse. Not 100% convinced every vetting would pick this up, so would steer clear if u had any doubts.

Yes, but hopefully if you can speak to the previous vet who knows more you're more "in the know" and can make a decision.

ilvpippa

Visit site
Nope; mine has horrific scars from her time in Argintina playing polo. Plus a sunburn scar on her white sock which never grows hair on. Brought her with that - never even notice it now. Plus she came 1st in a show with lots of other thoroughbreds

acorn92x

Visit site
If I wanted a horse to show, it would be something that would be a deal breaker for me. However, I am foremost a pleasure rider. I showjump and xc so a scar wouldn't be something that would affect the animal from doing it's job. I must admit though, if the scar was in the area where the saddle sat, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole regardless of what I intended to do with it.

mynutmeg

Visit site
If you want to do anything other than local level showing then yes it would stop me buying as that pretty much guarentees that you won't place at all.
If I didn't want to show and the scar was purely cosmetic with no functional problems at all then wouldn't put me off at all - my sister had a thoroughbred that she bought as a yearling with a wound on his shoulder (he got onto a plough as a 6 week old and it was still healing) It did eventually heal up and he came totally sound on it (only problem when we got him was a short stride from scar tissue being too tight) but was left with a large scar in the crease at the front of his shoulder that was dark with no hair and it definately stopped him winning at the few shows we went to but he's now 8, 100% sound and in full work with no problems at all.

starryeyed

Visit site
No, it wouldn't put me off at all - I bought one!! She has a scar on her back leg which was checked by the vet, we knew the story behind it and it hasn't caused a problem at all - it's not really even that noticeable on her and didn't affect my decision to buy her at all. As others have said, if the horse was to be used for showing or the scar caused any form of discomfort then I wouldn't go ahead, but as a purely cosmetic scar then it wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't expect a price reduction for scarring.

islandspirit

Visit site
I have a hunter with a huge scar, if the conformation is good and the horse ticks all your boxes then I would go for it. As far as showing goes, I disagree with most of the other posts, I have been placed at county level at each show I've taken him to. I have been told by many judges that the scar should not be taken into account, obviously sometimes it is, that's showing for you but technically it should only come into play when you have two horses of the same quality in which case the scar free horse would be placed the higher of the two.

GermanyJo

Visit site
as long as checked out as you describe, no I would not let it bother me , unless you were thinking that you may sell the horse on at some point ... you have a question in your mind ... so maybe future buyers would too.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
I bought my welsh d with a large scar on his chest as I have no intention of showing him and it does' t affect him in any way at all. Saying that I have been told by a judge that it wouldn't make any difference in the show ring anyway.

Green Bean

Visit site
Scars tell a story which is not always obvious. I bought a mare with some scarring on her face. Turns out it was a trailer loading accident on a very head shy rearing horse. Not disclosed at the time. Just be careful you know everything leading up to and beyond the injury.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Not it would not as long as it scar is mobile with the skin and the horse is sound .
I don’t show showing would be a issue .

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
If you want the horse for showing then the horse would not be right for you. If you want a good all round horse then why not. I bought a 5 year old with a scar on his offside rear leg, apparently he got his leg caught in wire as a youngster. Since buying him he's been a really good show jumper & he does a quality dressage test. He also hacks out alone or in company & he's got a really sweet nature. I bought him 16 years ago, he's still with our family & always will be. He still jumps occasionally, he loves it & he's out to a dressage competition in a fortnight. If we'd have worried about a scar we'd have missed out on all the fun we've had with a truly wonderful horse that changed our lives.

Green Bean

Visit site
Is an old thread not relevant for continued discussion? If you are going to ‘zombie’ it why don’t you do the same with the many, many repeat threads. It’s just rude

elliesweet

Visit site
Nope- My mare has a huge scar very close to her girth area where she impaled herself on a post. was about 2 inches from heart... she is the best horse ive ever had

AFB

Visit site
I did - my horse has a large cosmetic scar & lump of scar tissue.

I didn't want to show and it has no affect on him. In fact we've managed to add a few more over the years :oops:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Nope I bought Kia with extensive barbed wire scarring and half an eyelid on that side. Never allowed him down or bothered him and it was pretty much from his head to his butt on one side :)

He wasn’t bought for showing so it never bothered me. We did show veterans as scars didn’t matter and he did ok :)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Nope it's a bit of a mystery. I also find it interesting that people often don't read the full thread before replying. 😁
At least this time folk aren’t weighing in with veterinary/management advice for a horse may have been PTS several pages before. It bemuses me that people don’t bother to read the full thread to see all the updates before contributing.