Would I be awful to consider PTS

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
So last year in august I purchased a “schoolmaster” after saving loads, however he was not as advertised lots of planting, reluctance to be ridden , bucks , spooky etc. Anyhow vet came out for poor performance examination and found he had a stifle injury but much worse spondylitis in his back and severe osteoarthritis, vet said he could never be ridden again due to new bone formations. This was in October and he was been a pet ever since.

I adore him but he is extremely high maintenance, through winter he had bad stomach , vets , blood tests medications then a cough/can’t tolerate hay only blue horsehage. Since spring he has also been tested for being a rig which was negative but he behaves like one so “false rig” not out with mares but patrols the fence line where they are charging at others and biting so had to move to a paddock with my other gelding with no mare in sniffing distance ! More recently he guarded a little gelding who joined them and charged the children who owned him ….

with me he is like butter wouldn’t melt , wicker’s canters over , very affectionate and sweet but not for others and makes plans really tricky as he can’t be alone so I don’t get to do as much with my other boy.

I feel awful really really awful but need to make a decision as I can’t keep him going indefinitely , one vet said PTS going into winter as could be uncomfortable another said “no he’s good for life could lead a long life”.

he is such a big character and so loving but obviously no use as a companion due to being a complete ass to other horses and not being left alone plus very high maintenance

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Grit your teeth and do it. If he was a nice compliant horse who could keep anyone company and was safe for others to handle it might be different. He is not your lifelong heart horse, don't cause yourself any more stress and expense.
My very pragmatic vet once advised me not to bankrupt myself keeping my old horses, he had seen too many people doing just that.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
Definitely not. I'd be thinking along the lines of the challenging behaviour might stem from being uncomfortable(?) so I'd completely understand pts.

thank you I know what you mean but the behaviour is only present when a mare is around/in season he is however always dominant and top of pecking order. I just see him galloping about (faster than the others) and leaping and think he seems full of it so then I feel bad. He is a real one person horse and gets jealous so also guards me …… he is very stallion like in behaviour so suspect he was gelded very late

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
not awful. I have one where it's only a matter of time, he's happy enough in his life but has what is basically a terminal diagnosis. he could probably live another 10 years but I can't commit to meeting his needs for that long. Mine is easy to have around though, if I was struggling with behaviour etc I'd make plans a lot sooner and definitely before the winter - sooner rather than later if need be. He won't know anything about it.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
thank you I know what you mean but the behaviour is only present when a mare is around/in season he is however always dominant and top of pecking order. I just see him galloping about (faster than the others) and leaping and think he seems full of it so then I feel bad. He is a real one person horse and gets jealous so also guards me …… he is very stallion like in behaviour so suspect he was gelded very late
See I still wouldn't right off that the dominance doesn't come from discomfort. It could be his personality but either way, I think I'd be thinking along the same lines as you.
As for being awful, it's such a brave thing to do, dont beat yourself up.

little_critter

Visit site
My mare was PTS within a week of her spondylosis diagnosis. I knew she was unhappy, I knew she was in pain / uncomfortable by the way her personality had changed. Unfortunately it took a while to get to the cause of the pain. As soon as I was told it was untreatable I knew the only thing I could do for her was to release her from her pain / discomfort.
Not sure if spondylosis is different to spondylitis.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site
My mare was PTS within a week of her spondylosis diagnosis. I knew she was unhappy, I knew she was in pain / uncomfortable by the way her personality had changed. Unfortunately it took a while to get to the cause of the pain. As soon as I was told it was untreatable I knew the only thing I could do for her was to release her from her pain / discomfort.

It’s not think my mistake always miss spelling it.

motherof2beasts!

Visit site

Also I know he would have had this condition long before he came to me , so it’s hard to know if he is just bolshy with others or it’s a change in personality as I brought him like this. He has got a lot better since I got him weight wise and condition wise but Is stiff behind and seems reluctant when going up or down hills.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
the vet at the time didn’t really explain very well , plus trying to find information on spondylitis is limited. Are they very significant changes? Seems to look the same X-ray wise as kissing spine
I think I'd speak to your vet about the xrays again and see if they'd explain them to you. It might just give you some peace of mind that you're doing the right thing ?

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Besides that he's not happy unless all his special needs are met, such as that he always needs company, but only the right company because he can't be kept close to mares, and becomes obsessive about certain other horses, can't eat hay, only special food, likes you, nobody else etc, first and last, he is a horse, and you pay for the pleasure of owning him.

Without treatment for the stifle injury, spondylosis/spondylitis in his back, severe osteoarthritis, stomach problems, coughing, changing to not feeding hay etc, he would presumably not still be here.
So I don't see anything wrong with spoiling him rotten for a period of time, and then calling it a day.

Louby

Visit site
I sadly made this decision in January this year. It broke my heart, she was only 6 yrs old and one of those horses that holds a special place in your heart. We had tried for nearly 2 yrs to fix her, it was one step forwards, and 3 back, bouts of cellulitis, then she then got ulcers too, a result of pain maybe?? She was extremely high maintenance, loved a job and basically got herself in trouble if she didnt have anything to think about! So not having a job to do wasnt helping at all. She became very stressy, then went lame again, the stifle issue again, and came in from the field very lame in front too, so she was scanned again and the damage was worse than when we originally started. My vet didnt think she would ever come right after 2 yrs of trying, said what she had was very painful, plus we now had ulcers which werent responding to the treatment and another lameness too, so the decision was made.
Its an awful decision to make, sending hugs

sport horse

Visit site
1. He is not able to do the job you purchased him for - a schoolmaster?
2.He is costing you a lot of money to keep and vets fees to be unable to do the job you wanted
3. If you had wanted a pet you could probably have got one for a lot less money.
4. He is in pain and has several degenerative conditions.
You are bieng very realsitic and should not feel awful. The person who should feel awful is the one who sold him with these conditions, not caring one iota about his welfare. I am sorry you have to make this sad decision but you only need to feel awful if you pass him on to a 'pet home' who turn out to be a dealer, dope him up, sell him and so it goes on.