Would this be a bad idea?

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site

3Beasties

Visit site
Poor Mare :( :mad:

Just a point - No matter how long you turn her out for you won't be able to sell her as 'un-backed', once backed they are always backed, however you could say she needs 're-starting' or something similar.

I hope she finds a nice home!

Luci07

Visit site
ditto. Far too young to have been broken and ridden. Just go and read poor Jazz's post in CR - her mare has broken down and the thinking is that she was worked too hard too young...

dressedkez

Visit site
Yes, yes, yes! Leave her alone (do not feel sorry for her.......) and if you would like a 2 year old to turn away for a year - contact your local race horse trainer or go to Ascot Sales. The 2 year olds would have as much experience - would have been nicely handled and properly broken - that poor animal would not have been....sorry!

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
The fact that she is already broken to ride and drive would put me off, as she is still very young.

I was thinking that, however if she passed a vetting and she isn't physically or mentally effected by being broken at a young age, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem? I wouldn't want to ride her for at least 18 months if I did get her, do you think she would object to being turned away after she has already been bought into work?

Luci07

Visit site
well its normal practise to back then turn away so can't see any difference BUT I would be really concerned as to what damage has been done already... maybe speak to your vet before going/losing your heart?

royal

Visit site
OMG :eek::mad: poor little mare - I really hope someone does buy her and just turns her away for a good 18mnths - 2 yrs to let her be a baby for a while...I'm so shocked that someone would think it a good idea to be riding and driving that mare (especially a rider who is way to big for her)..

I'm really quite upset by that...

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
If I was to view her I would take my vet and RI. If I did buy her, not saying I will!, what would I need to do with her for the first 18 months when she would be turned away? Would she need company? Would I need to feed her? Rug her? Stable her? Groom and handle her? Thank you.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I'd turn her away with company to have time to become a real horse. Most of them prefer companionship anyway - being herd animals.

Feeding/Rugging would depend on how she holds her weight and whether you think she'll fair against the weather okay.

Groundwork/ handling wouldnt do her any harm at all and would probably serve her better in the long run.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
having looked at the photo of the size of the guy on her, I wouldnt touch her. The vetting can only pick up things that have already manifested themselves..the sort of damage this early a breaking can so could well not show up...until she is 8 or 9 and her joints are knackered.

the other thing is that sometimes some people break horses very early and the horses are very obedient when people look at them and they do it because at that age they can literally break them and they cant fight back (our local travellers admitted as such to my YO). Look in the horses eye and you see dullness and a defeated look.

I think it would be wrong to give money to someone breaking in horses at that age as it encourages them to continue. Its not like its ultra lightweight jockey scenario as in racing.

In the current market, £500 would buy a well treated unbroken youngster or maybe a horse out of training. I would def go that route.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Can't see your vet travelling that distance! It is a good long way from you to her, rather too far for a £500 horse. The poor mare will not sell to people who know what they are doing as she is likely to have damaged joints etc. She will probably go through Holmfirth and with luck all her troubles will end.

Tiffany

Visit site
Poor little mare - she certainly looks broken :( Hope you can give her a good home she looks so sad and I'm not in favour of them being ridden so young. The young lad riding her looks far too big :(

D

Donkeymad

what would I need to do with her for the first 18 months when she would be turned away? Would she need company? Would I need to feed her? Rug her? Stable her? Groom and handle her? Thank you.

Leave well alone. If you have to ask all these things, then you are no more fit to own her than the &%^*^ who currently own her.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Leave well alone. If you have to ask all these things, then you are no more fit to own her than the &%^*^ who currently own her.

Absolutely!
And why on earth would you want to travel from Suffolk to West Yorks to pay £500 for a soon-to-be broken down pony? Aren't there any nearer to home? You clearly have no idea how much a vet's & RI's time cost, nor the cost of transport to get this poor soul to your yard - I can't see the dealer delivering it to you as part of the deal!

Saxon_Jasmine

Visit site
Donkeymad and Pearlsasinger -

Slightly harsh I think. I do have knowlege for vet costs and I transport my horse regularly in hired transport so I know how much that costs. Also, I do have an idea of how to look after her, however I was asking to make sure what I think is correct. I'm sure if you got a new horse very different from your current one you would also ask questions. It really is better to ask than to guess. Considering I have recently sucessfully re-schooled an ex racer (who was in a really poor condition), I think you should be slightly less judgemental of my capabilities. I know that is a completly different senario, however it suggests I can look after a horse.

I don't think I will buy her, as she will probably be damaged from being broken so young, however thank you for everyone's responses :) If anyone has a spare £500 and lives close to her please rescue her!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well I live very close to her but I shall certainly not be 'rescuing' her. I'm afraid she will most likely end up at Holmfirth market where the vast majority of unwarranted youngsters are bought by the 'meatman'. This will at least spare her a painful future, although of course she could be bought by a numpty who has little idea about what to do with her.

reindeerlover

Visit site
OMG poor little soul. She looks quite sweet and I'd guess that she hasn't done much "work" probably just enough to let the photos be taken. I'd say go for it if you have the time/facilities/experience. It's only £500 and as long as you insure her for vets fees you'll be pretty safe. Company and feed yes, trimming and worming yes- rugging probably not but wait and see, insurance yes as you don't know her background. Vetting? Not sure if I would for that price. I'd take someone very experienced with you though.

sam4321

Visit site
(A word of warning from past experience)

if you do buy her, looking at the condition of her current home i would definately keep her isolated for 3 weeks incase she has strangles!!!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Poor little scrap.

Could make someone a lovely little horse for the future - and for £500 well worth the risk.

pastie2

Visit site
This poor little mare will most proberbly end up at Appleby Fair, thrashed up and down the road, along with all the other youngsters.

kbsaff

Visit site
I'm hoping that the date on the camera is incorrect.
All of the photo's are dated 2008. If the mare is currently 2yrs & 4 months, she would've been 2 months old when those photo's were taken!!!

Barge Pole springs to mind. If the people who break these horses so young think there is a market for them due to people buying them thinking that they're getting a bargain pony, they will continue to subject these ponies to work that their bodies simply can't cope with. Ultimately this will lead to the ponies reaching 7/8 yrs of age and developing broken down joints and being destroyed or subjected to years of suffering.

Please don't feed this unsavoury market. Head down to the youngstock sales at Ascot where you can pick up something that's had professional handling for a similar price.

MegaBeast

Visit site
I was thinking that, however if she passed a vetting and she isn't physically or mentally effected by being broken at a young age, then maybe it wouldn't be a problem?

I very much doubt a vetting would show up any damage to ligaments in feet etc like with MadHector's Jazz.

Sounds a bit of a gamble to me... but that's what life is about sometimes!