Would this be completely mad?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
buying the first horse you view after one viewing??

Having just started to look at horses, and fully expecting it to take ages to find the right thing, I tried the first one yesterday and she seems great. I won’t give too many details as don’t want to jinx it. But basically she ticks all my boxes for what I wanted, I really enjoyed riding her, jumping her made me smile. Seller seems very honest, and the one or two little quirks she has don’t bother me in the slightest. The only thing I didn’t do was take her over any xc fences, but I’ve got videos of her doing so very sweetly. I asked if they’d let me take her but they said no (fairly understandable).

previously I’ve always viewed twice, and taken an instructor with me the second time. But this time the difference is:
1) the market is moving so quickly so I’m afraid she’d get sold before I can get back next weekend
2) she’s about 2-3hrs away, so it’s not like I can pop down in an evening to try her again (and sadly I’m doing a CPD course this weekend so can’t go again today or tomorrow)
3) I don’t have an instructor I trust as much up here (moved relatively recently)

I’ve sent the videos of me trying her to old and current instructors, and a couple of trusted friends and all agree she looks lovely and very suitable for what I want to do.

would it be completely mad to tell them I’ll have her and try to book a vetting for next week?!

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
I have bought on first viewing and I wasn't wrong. I have also had one sight unseen (albeit no pressure loan or return) but he is going nowhere. I have absolutely not wanted to buy one and she turned out super (for my daughter) and taken 'a not what we were looking for at all' on sort of sales rehab - and bought that one. I have also loved and lost a totally unsuitable one with only her kindness in her favour and wish she was still here. The only difference here is the sums of money involved with horse price tags now.
Only you know how upset you'd be if she was sold to someone else.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I bought after no viewing (unless you count an online ad), so maybe my judgment isn't the best ? but it worked out. If you like the horse, you like the horse. I don't think it's mad.

Bernster

Visit site
Similar here - bought recently on one viewing and didn’t try xc (very rare to get that ime). I tried 3, one about 6 months ago, 1 a month or so ago, and then this one. But I have tried lots in the past and I tend to get a pretty good feel fairly soon. This one made me feel safe, and I didn’t want to get off. Felt the same the next day so I figured that was enough. Also had lots of photos and videos, and a comp record, so he should do the job I want. Only had him a week so can’t be sure, but am v pleased so far!

Sheep

Visit site
If she makes your heart sing and she's who you want in your life then go for it.
All 'buying the first you see' shows is that you had thought hard on your wanted criteria, and carefully chose to start by viewing the hoss who fitted 'em!
That’s so true! That is how it was for us, I think. A year and a bit on and we are delighted with our big twit every day!

Reactions: Kat

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I would have bought on first viewing. The only reason I didn’t was because someone had tried her before me that day and I wanted to try her with no one having ridden her that day. So unless there was something specific you hadn’t done on the first one (I don’t know many Tbf who get to have a go over xc fences when trying) then I don’t think a second viewing is necessary.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I think if the horse is right you often know immediately. That can take ages or it can be the first one. If you waited a week to view again I doubt a nice horse would still be available. Good luck with the vetting!

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I've bought one one viewing before and also one weeks trial and another on two viewings.

To be fair I knew with all 3 I would buy them so as long as she does tick your boxes I would go for it.

Upthecreek

Visit site
If you know exactly what you are looking for and the horse is as described when you view it, gives you the right feel when you ride it and there are no red flags you should buy it. Most experienced riders don’t need to try lots of horses for comparison because they know what they are looking for and can be quite decisive on whether the horse is right for them.

Every horse I have viewed I have made the decision on whether or not to buy in the first 5 minutes of sitting on. If there is any doubt in my mind at all I walk away.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
In this current market not mad at all....but a second viewing did save me from but dangerous horse. Long story short, tried horse with a friend. Loved it, safe on busy A road, green in school but fine. Told myself not to get excited, I must take trainer and viewing again. Went back 3 days later, tacked up, got to school, mounted, took 1 stride then went into full on bronc mode. Hurt myself quite badly. Saw horse advertised a few months later as broodmare as it had done the same to the poor person actually bought it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Both my current horses were the first horses we looked at. We did do two viewings for The Beast. But I'd pretty much committed to buying MrT within 5 seconds of my bum hitting the saddle.

AandK

Visit site
Not at all mad if you know what you want and the horse ticks those boxes. I did when I got my 8yo just over 2yrs ago. He was the first one I saw and I only tried him once, he was exactly what I was looking for.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Not mad at all - my last purchase did not tick many of my boxes at all on paper - but within 5 minutes of getting on (with great difficulty as no mounting black and 17.3) just ambling about the ménage, wandering around their yard complex and I knew I would buy him.

Unfortunately just over one year later, last autumn, he has had to return to his former owner, (who is by the way a saint and the only truly honest seller I have ever been lucky enough to come across) she is now looking after him for me until I have my new hips and my back sorted and can leap in the saddle once again.

I knew he was going to be my last ever horse purchase so count myself so very lucky to have found him and his fantastic ex owner who is helping me every way she can to get through this and have him home again.

Definitely go with your gut feeling and get the horse vetted ASAP. Good luck! :)

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I bought the first horse I viewed when looking after losing a horse. I'd said I wanted him after first viewing but was able to go back before vetting to try him again as first ride was walk trot on a hack as school was flooded. After first viewing all I wanted to do was go back with trailer and bring him home. Seven years later and he is another horse of a lifetime.