Would this be frowned upon?

sjdress

Visit site
20 year old horse retired from BD 3 years ago. Was just starting Elem. winnings at Elem at unaff level. Has has long period of rest and light hacking since. I’ve recently started upping her work again and She just isn’t ready to retire yet but does struggle cantering in a small area on a surface (we know why- intensive investigstions). Would it be totally wrong for me to compete her in some Intro classes, as we both love going out and would break up the boredom of continuous hacking?! Or would people frown at this as she’s done higher level stuff?
I just want to continue enjoying her before she tells me it’s time to retire to the field!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Personally if it was me I'd take her but enter HC
I used some unaff intro classes to get my ex racer going out when his canter was too weak to show in a competition environment but I wanted to get his brain used to the idea of shows. IMO those classes are really aimed at people who are starting out and it didn't feel sporting to me, to enter competitively. but fine to make up the numbers and have a nice day out.

sjdress

Visit site
Personally if it was me I'd take her but enter HC
I used some unaff intro classes to get my ex racer going out when his canter was too weak to show in a competition environment but I wanted to get his brain used to the idea of shows. IMO those classes are really aimed at people who are starting out and it didn't feel sporting to me, to enter competitively. but fine to make up the numbers and have a nice day out.

HC is a good idea, yes I would feel mean going against very novice horses/riders when her general way of going is much more advanced.
I guess my issues is I love to compete but have an older horse who is now not able to at a level we were used to. I dont have funds or the time for a second horse so trying to find a happy medium!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
That's understandable. It varies, but some of the venues I took mine to, people were clearly very novice when it came to dressage, nervous or just figuring it all out for the first time, and if they had a good ride i didn't want to take away the feeling of getting your first rosette when I've been through that decades ago ;)
I got my fuzzy feelings from knowing my horse went well, and supporting a local show centre. I don't generally keep rosettes unless they are special ones now anyway so no skin off my nose to be HC.

the other thing you might consider, that I did with my creaky old girl, is veteran showing? was a bit of fun in a low impact way and I quite enjoyed learning a new discipline. lots has gone online this year but hopefully be more in person stuff next year.

Schollym

Visit site
It is lovely to hear people being sporting. HC is a good idea. As someone who has struggled in the dressage area( I don’t like being observed so tense up) I act as the groom now and intro is exactly as its name suggests. My daughter has competed at Trailblazers and getting beaten in prelim by a horse and rider with a huge number of BD points at medium and above feels like a waste of our entry fees. Trailblazers run an unaffiliated competition and rely on the honesty of the competitors.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If the horse in unable to canter then surely it isn't sound? A twenty year old is an old horse, I think I'd find something younger, and sound, to compete on.

sjdress

Visit site
If the horse in unable to canter then surely it isn't sound? A twenty year old is an old horse, I think I'd find something younger, and sound, to compete on.

Just seeing if there are alternatives for her. She loves going out competing. She is able to canter, just struggles on a tight circle. Regularly has a blast out hacking and never comes to any harm and is never sore, but prefers a straight line. I do not have the time or money to get another horse to compete so whilst my girl is still enjoying life I want to see what I can do with her, albeit at a lower more relaxed level. Vets are happy for her to continue in ridden work, she just can’t do what she could do 5 years ago. She’s not ready to be written off yet though!

sjdress

Visit site
That's understandable. It varies, but some of the venues I took mine to, people were clearly very novice when it came to dressage, nervous or just figuring it all out for the first time, and if they had a good ride i didn't want to take away the feeling of getting your first rosette when I've been through that decades ago ;)
I got my fuzzy feelings from knowing my horse went well, and supporting a local show centre. I don't generally keep rosettes unless they are special ones now anyway so no skin off my nose to be HC.

the other thing you might consider, that I did with my creaky old girl, is veteran showing? was a bit of fun in a low impact way and I quite enjoyed learning a new discipline. lots has gone online this year but hopefully be more in person stuff next year.

Veteran showing sounds like a good plan. She’s done a bit of showing in her younger days and also did well so this might be an option

windand rain

Visit site
Yes it would be unfair on true beginners to go and compete at intro. Hc would be okay. Veteran showing would be great fun. Does she jump as a few unaffiliated jumping rounds might be fun too

J&S

Visit site
If she can still canter around the outside of a school then why not try something completely different and do some indoor trec when we are allowed out again? You can do starter and newcomer classes but with a well schooled horse you can move up the levels really quickly. It will keep you occupied learning how to ride the different obstacles too.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
When getting my exracer going we did intro as canter was wild!! We qualified for a championship. I was beaten into 2nd by an affiliated horse and rider competing at elementary!! I would go hc or as others have said a bit of veteran showing.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
When getting my exracer going we did intro as canter was wild!! We qualified for a championship. I was beaten into 2nd by an affiliated horse and rider competing at elementary!! I would go hc or as others have said a bit of veteran showing.