Would this Pee you off and how would you react?

The Original Kao

Visit site
if i was sharing a horse i'd always ask the owner before letting someone else ride the horse. child or adult.
anyway hope you manage to sort things out
smile.gif

off topic, seems to be my usual tonight,
love the new siggy hadfos
wub.gif

i was hooked to dark angel mainly cause he was in it
blush.gif

burtie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if it was being lead, I dont see the problem, I would put a 5yr old lead on anything of ours, including my own neurotic eventer, hatted and lead, you can just lift child off if theres a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, my 18 month old sits on Herbies back whilst I hold her!

If they are paying to share your horse, then you need to let them treat him like their own horse on their days as long as what they are doing is not detrimental to the horse, so I don't see any problem with letting their children sit on him.

hadfos

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
if i was sharing a horse i'd always ask the owner before letting someone else ride the horse. child or adult.
anyway hope you manage to sort things out
smile.gif

off topic, seems to be my usual tonight,
love the new siggy hadfos
wub.gif

i was hooked to dark angel mainly cause he was in it
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Why thankyou
smile.gif
Courtesy of miss_huggy_bear,she is sooo talented with these siggies,did it in 10mins
shocked.gif
,pmsl...would have taken me 10yrs
grin.gif

Hubby hasnt seen it though...would most definately be stopping my supernatural downloads,pmsl
grin.gif

Helga1980

Visit site
You need to have a long chat with her, explain your concerns and re-confirm the ground rules (assuming you are willing to continue with the share).

If I was you I think I'd want to call it quits though.

I also don't agree with burtie's comment. Sharing a horse doesn't mean you can treat it as your own on the days you have. You still have to respect the owner and check <u>anything</u> out of the ordinary such as letting children/other people ride the horse, and I talk as a past sharer who did contribute financially.

Maisy

Visit site
I agree that this sharer has taken the pi$$ for bringing a herd of kids up to the yard and not keeping control, however you can see how the situation arises for putting the kid on your horse.

Provided the kids weren't gung-hoing round the school, I cant see that it is unreasonable of her to do this tbh..........that is the problem with sharing a horse......people will treat it like their own, and it wont always be the same as what you think is right.

Insurance isnt really an issue, as they wouldnt be able to claim anyway......

However, if your YO dislikes this girl enough to think that they would rather you paid less to get rid of her, I would seriously be thinking about how long I continued the agreement for......the last thing you want to do is get served notice for both your boys because of some girl who you have got as a sharer.........

louise4208

Visit site
ParkRanger, I totally see your point - I would be annoyed too. I have let kids sit on my boy before, but he doesn't seem to like kids for some reason.
Maybe just explain to her how you feel about it and hopefully she'll see your point. Try not to have a fight with her, it might be hard to find someone else to share who you can trust - I've been looking for a sharer for ages and have only had novices interested!

Parkranger

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that this sharer has taken the pi$$ for bringing a herd of kids up to the yard and not keeping control, however you can see how the situation arises for putting the kid on your horse.

Provided the kids weren't gung-hoing round the school, I cant see that it is unreasonable of her to do this tbh..........that is the problem with sharing a horse......people will treat it like their own, and it wont always be the same as what you think is right.

Insurance isnt really an issue, as they wouldnt be able to claim anyway......

However, if your YO dislikes this girl enough to think that they would rather you paid less to get rid of her, I would seriously be thinking about how long I continued the agreement for......the last thing you want to do is get served notice for both your boys because of some girl who you have got as a sharer.........

[/ QUOTE ]

She wasn't there when OH niece got on Oscar so is irrelevant.

I've told her to go and clear the air with the YO and she can't see what she's done wrong
confused.gif

sarah23

Visit site
I think some of you are missing the point. Yes parkranger is saying the horse can be a bit unpredictable so a bit silly to put kids on the horse, but it was also what i read it as, that the sharer never asked if the kids could ride the horses.

Yes my kids sit on mine, but i would never go and visit somebody else's horse and expect it was OK for me to plonk my kids on before asking.

I have it written into my loaners contract that they and they alone are allowed to ride said horse unless i have given prior agreement to do so.

Smash

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I've told her to go and clear the air with the YO and she can't see what she's done wrong
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And there's the dealbreaker for me. She sees nothing wrong with lettng a bunch of kids run riot, piss and litter the yard? Seriously, if she doesn't realise that something like that is out of line, who knows what else she will deem acceptable behaviour?

Common sense in not a good thing to be lacking around unpredictable animals. Not even that, just the utter lack of respect and manners for everyone else.

What a muppet.

Ziggy_

Visit site
I agree with smash. I was all for giving her second chance as I read this thread but if she doesn't see what she's done wrong nothing will change. Get rid of her.

FTR, I'm looking for a sharer at the mo and my advert says needs experienced, confident rider. If anyone put any kid on her back, in fact any one vaguely novicey on her back, I'd kick them straight off the yard. I think you were right to be angry.

Booboos

Visit site
I would also be very upset at the sharer putting children on my horse. If you chose to do this with your own children and your own horse, fair enough, but she is putting you in a very difficult position.

I would have a quiet word with her, find out what she was thinking, see if you can explain again the terms of the share (I don't agree with some others who suggested that the horse is the sharers to do with as she will on share days - the sharer can only do with the horse what has already been agreed as part of the contract) and if you find out that the two of you have completely different expectations then terminate the share.

joeanne

Visit site
Personally of someone put MY child on an unpredictable horse i would be more than hopping, i would be aiming to let rip...physically.
Park ranger i would be FURIOUS in your position. not only has she endangered the lives of children which dont even sound like they are hers, but she has also endangered the reputation of your horse (imagine if something HAD happened what would be said about him?).
if you want to keep her as a sharer i would be drawing up a water tight contract stating what is and what is not acceptable where the horse is concerned.
she was lucky this time nothing spooked the horse,but i would be making damn sure there wasnt a "second" time.

chriscrogul

Visit site
PR, I'm totaly with you on this one. And for all you people who can't see the harm in putting a small child up on an UNPREDICTABLE horse, are your reflexes so finely tuned that you could pull a child off if the horse put in a buck out of the blue? I hate to make assumptions about the sharer but she doesn't seem the sort of person who is clued up enough to be ready if something goes wrong. As for the insurance angle, when I was involved in riding schools, there was a minimum age of rider who could be covered, maybe it was five years, can't remember.

Mithras

Visit site
I would add that remember people can exaggerate and put things in some a way that they are out of proportion. I agree what has been said does not sound good so I think you really have to ask her a few questions in a relaxed tactful sort of way and if she starts getting defensive or worked up then I would be inclined to let her go. But theres no-one else been saying this about her, just the yard owner?

TGM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Oh dear - if she was repentant and ready to ensure there was no repetition of the incidentsthen I would have suggested you gave her another chance, but with an attitude like that then I think you are better off looking for another sharer.

Also, when you do get another one, I would add some stipulations to your share agreement to cover the above scenarios - ie no-one else to ride the horse except the sharer, no other people to be brought to the yard without express permission, etc.

Rachel_M

Visit site
I would be peed off with her for the littering and leaving the children unattended but I am finding it hard to be the same for the children riding.

TBH, I much rather the children were riding in a school than just plonked on in the field. All horses are unpredictable, but your horse seemed to cope fine.

Can anyone else on the yard corroborate what he YO said?

Is she saying she hasn't done anything wrong with the littering, bringing the children down or letting them ride?

Ottinmeg

www.equestrianimage.com
[ QUOTE ]
Would none of you be livid if someone put kids on your horse though without asking?

[/ QUOTE ]

id be annoyed if someone stuck kids on my horse without asking but she is a rock steady neddy .If i was in your shoes and someone stuck kids on my blind unpredictable T/B ,then yes id be absolutely furious!! Poor ty, sharer was lucky he behaved himself, what could of happened doesn't bear thinking about.

lexiedhb

Visit site
QR

Ok so forget the fact that the kids went a bit nuts, and that she has bought Ty back sweaty......... kids are little sods most of the time, and horses can sweat up for a million reasons....... BUT NOONE should be put on Ty except her, unless you have specifically said it is ok, what if she had allowed a friend to ride who weighed 18 stone?? noone would of thought that was ok.......... you have said SHE can ride him and therefore noone else should be at her say so..........

Hope you sort it out Mrs!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I doubt if I would get 'furious' about this situation. There would be no point. The children are fine, the horse is fine.
If you don't want this happening, and it seems you don't, then the simple answer is to say to the sharer, that following complaints, you don't want her taking children to the yard, thank you.
As for the horse being brought back sweaty - yet you say you 'trust her' - make your mind up. Either you trust her, so say nothing, or you don't and terminate the share agreement.
Whatever you decide to do, have a nice glass of wine, and remember it is your horse, and you are ultimately the one who can say yes or no to this sharer.
S
grin.gif

Spyda

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there's the dealbreaker for me. She sees nothing wrong with lettng a bunch of kids run riot, piss and litter the yard? Seriously, if she doesn't realise that something like that is out of line, who knows what else she will deem acceptable behaviour?

[/ QUOTE ]

TBH, if I was sharing a horse and the owner asked me to do something like apologise to the YO because I'd upset them for some reason, I'd do it. Just a matter of good manners.

Think you need to have a good chat with her to re-establish the ground rules. I had a sharer once. After a while the mother started becoming over bearing and bossy. Forgot who owned the horse I think. I was young then and chickened out of talking to her about it. She was kind of scary! I just simmered under the surface for a while and then blew my top and demanded them out. They were upset, I was upset and my horse didn't get the level of exercise he needed - in hindsight I should have had the chat first! Might have worked might not have, but I never gave them the chance.

D

Donkeymad

QR

Yes, I would certainly be annoyed. You haven't said how old this sharer is, but she sounds quite young, and was probably feeling 'big' in having a horse and letting them ride him. I would have a chat with her, explain what was wrong, explain why, and tell her that, should she do such a thing again, that you will be terminating her share.
You also need to ask other liveries to try and discreetly see how your horse is when brought back and find out why he has sweated up so much.