Would you and do you turn out on rough frozen ground?

Nasicus

Visit site
Only a bit rutted in the gateway, the rest is fine so out they are! I'd probably have them out even if it was rutted further in to be honest, barefoot and thick soled with no shoes to lose, the middle aged one would seize up pretty sharpish if it kept in during this cold, much better moving around freely.

Moomin1

Visit site
I have my own individual paddock at livery so I turn out as and when I want because it doesn't affect anyone else. There is one other pony an adjacent paddock who usually gets turned out an hour or so after mine. Mine isn't bothered being alone these days. As for frozen ground..I do turn out in the field/paddock when its frozen but I won't turn out in the arena when it's frozen on restricted days/days in because my mare has a very low grade intermittent lameness in her fores/poss navicular so I won't risk the frozen rutted arena surface.

xDundryx

Visit site
yep, put my 2 tbs out at 0530 every morning, its badly rutted at the gate and around the troughs, but rest of field is pretty good. the only time they stay in is heavy snow or storms they're always happy to go out and havent had any issues on the frozen ground (touch wood) x

Damnation

Visit site
Ours go out at 11ish after feed and hay at 7am. If YO can't turn out then I do at 8am.

Mine go out daily no matter the weather. One will not stay in (compromises the structural integrity of the barn...) and the other is a big ID who has wintered naked.

They'll live! :D

LaurenBay

Visit site
mine live out, badly rutted in areas though but for the most part its ok.

I have been walking the hay over the rutted area so they don't have to tread on it, the little toads are still walking around the area though as they like pooing there.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Normally I would put out but this year our ground is very poached and the field is all deep frozen ruts with no give in them.
So unfortunately they were in all day yesterday and today and its not looking great until Saturday.
I might leave work early to see if I can get them out for an hour or two as the suns been out all morning but I'm not holding my breath that its actually thawed.
They do have a pootle around the car park for a leg stretch whilst I'm mucking out but that's it.

Ours have had to stay in today. We waited for the worst of the snow to fizzle out, or so we thought, and then took hay up into the field but soon realised that it had frozen so hard that the ruts just wouldn't have given at all. Decided that we really didn't want any broken legs, so they are in. Then as I was getting hay ready for tonight, I watched the next lot of snow coming across the valley. Brrrrrrrrr!

pixie

Visit site
Yes and yes. The ponies are out 24/7 anyways. The horses only stay in if the tracks are too icy/slippery for them to safely get to the fields. They have not stayed in yet this winter.

Sophire

Visit site
Not so much rough as only poached in the gateway, but yes I would normally. I’m DIY so need to turnout before work at 6.30/7 so she has to go out then. If they’re going out every day then it’s rare they have a run around everyday.

yhanni

Visit site
I put my boys out this morning pleading with them to "go steady" over the frozen rutted gateway and then they both took off bucking and farting down the field! They have still got all their legs on tonight though!

amandaco2

Visit site
mine live out so yes.mine lot live out so yes. I think you must decide to carry on as usual and turnout or keep in until the ground is completely safe/ soft. turnout after a few days in because its lasting longer than expected is too risky for legs getting hurt with fresh horses playing after getting freedom

willhegofirst

Visit site
Ours were left in today, very rutted frozen ground now covered in snow, also on a very steep hill, the mare is a 32year old TB plus two geldings, just not worth the risk of injury.

Tash88

Visit site
I'm just resurrecting this old thread as it's the situation I'm in at the moment (very cold snap in Surrey) - I'm keeping mine in this week and walking & hand grazing twice a day (hacking is icy and arena is frozen solid) as the field is just too dangerous in my opinion anyway, I see it is a mixed bag and can see both sides of the argument. My horse has cartilage issues and although he doesn't like staying in much, he is manageable and I don't want to injure himself. I also work full time and so he either has to be in all day or out all day. It's so hard to know what to do though.

meleeka

Visit site
I'm just resurrecting this old thread as it's the situation I'm in at the moment (very cold snap in Surrey) - I'm keeping mine in this week and walking & hand grazing twice a day (hacking is icy and arena is frozen solid) as the field is just too dangerous in my opinion anyway, I see it is a mixed bag and can see both sides of the argument. My horse has cartilage issues and although he doesn't like staying in much, he is manageable and I don't want to injure himself. I also work full time and so he either has to be in all day or out all day. It's so hard to know what to do though.

Today is the first day I’ve considered leaving mine in. The ground is rock hard and there’s nothing to eat anyway so they just stand round the hay all
day. That coupled with the bitter wind made me think twice. In the end I let them out but will go early to put them back in. They are all veterans so need to move a bit so they don’t stiffen up.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the ones that live out are still out, oldies ground is pretty flat, babies have a poached area on entrance to shelter but plenty of nice bits to stand on and seem to be managing OK.

the ones that are stabled overnight are now in until the mud thaws. although their field is OK i now can't get to it safely - either sheet ice on the lane or a field so rutted it is dangerous to walk on. I'm not prepared to risk it esp as I have an indoor school to use for safe exercise.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Out come rain or shine (snow or ice) before work (turned out anytime between 0530 and 0630) Mines at home so there is no other option and the option to have a 'duvet day' is not something i will ever do to my horses. My yard and fields allow for this.

Esyllt

Visit site
Turfed mine out to stay out for a day or two while the ground is hard. She has high hedge line, man made wind break, hay, water etc... Yes it's rutty at the moment, but when it rains the fields are knee deep, boot pulling mud, and then she (and YO) prefer stabled more than out, so she can make the most of firm ground and freedom before the rain comes back!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Turfed mine out to stay out for a day or two while the ground is hard. She has high hedge line, man made wind break, hay, water etc... Yes it's rutty at the moment, but when it rains the fields are knee deep, boot pulling mud, and then she (and YO) prefer stabled more than out, so she can make the most of firm ground and freedom before the rain comes back!

Tell me more about the manmade wind break? :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I don't think there is a perfect answer for this puzzle really. Badly bruised soles and heels can take an age to settle down so my two flat footed huge horses won't be going anywhere, especially as the pair of them will be idiots and go splat. We did put a lightweight horse out this morning, she carefully picked her way across the rutted field fine but she skinned her legs rolling on icy ground.

Soon be Spring and the harrowing/rolling can start and make everywhere safe again !

Esyllt

Visit site
Tell me more about the manmade wind break? :)
Unable to attach a picture...
It's made from fence posts that are approx 4ft deep, and freebie small gap pallets. It's placed in the most sheltered corner of her paddock, in a curve shape, so she has all round protection, and the wind wraps around it, rather than slamming into it, and is about 7ft high. Has withstood a lot of strong winds, and being used as an itch post!

palo1

Visit site
I have shut the gate into the winter turnout for the 3 of ours that are at home, in work. The field is solidly frozen ruts and has no grass because the 3 idiots have spent all winter churning up the turf; it is just mud. They have a large 'turnout yard' with an open barn and open stable and last year we had to keep them on just this for weeks due to the vile wet. I wouldn't want to just stable but I don't want to deal with soft tissue injuries or foot problems.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I do , I would prefer never to have to .
my field is not badly poached it’s just the entrance .
I have a small hard standing behind the electric fence and they know to wait and walk one at time on the hard standing when they come in .
Sometimes there’s no best option you just looking for the least bad .

Mule

Visit site
Mine are out, even the notoriously thin soled and currently barefoot one. He's happy enough with the ground, strangely enough.