Would you be annoyed if someone use your animal pics for business reasons...

smiffyimp

Visit site
.....without asking you? Story goes, my Sis in law is always taking photos of the animals and I found out that she is selling prints of them, also Tshirts, mugs postcards etc without asking. She holds the copyright so not a lot I can do but I am really annoyed.

Would you be???

Kat

Visit site
I can see why you might feel a bit miffed if she didn't give you an indication of her intentions before she took the pictures, but as you say it is her copyright.

We warn people that any pictures produced in the course of a commission may be used and if they request us not to we try to respect that. But if DH has taken a photo or drawn a picture the end result is his, unless/until he licences the image, and he is only likely to do that if he gets a really good offer!

runaway

Visit site
Does the photographer not have to ask an owners permission if they intend to use the owners animals to sell the photo's? It's one thing taking pics to show on your own site as examples but another to then sell the images without owner permission surely?

I would be a bit cheesed if she hadn't asked first. Think it's only courtesy to get permission if it's for financial gain. If it was to go in H&H then no wouldn't be cheesed!

Last edited:

smiffyimp

Visit site
I can see why you might feel a bit miffed if she didn't give you an indication of her intentions before she took the pictures, but as you say it is her copyright.

We warn people that any pictures produced in the course of a commission may be used and if they request us not to we try to respect that. But if DH has taken a photo or drawn a picture the end result is his, unless/until he licences the image, and he is only likely to do that if he gets a really good offer!

If I had commissioned a print or something I would have no probs, I thought they were being taken as, well, snaps of the cute animals, like we all do not for retail. Its not that they are brilliant, no better than what I could take myself, so not a financial issue, just a courtesy one!

Lucky I didnt take her to see the neds!

Kat

Visit site
BTW most people we come accross are flattered if images of their animal are used. For example DH did a commissioned drawing of two dogs, he took loads of photos to use to help him, they paid for the commission and were pleased with it. One of the dogs was really photogenic and he had some very sweet pictures of her, so a bit later he did a picture from some of the spare photos. They were thrilled when they saw it. Several people when they hear that we are putting their animal on greetings cards are thrilled and request "job lots", lots specifically ask whether there animal will go on cards or prints too because they are proud.

smiffyimp

Visit site
Well she took the photo, got the stuff made it, it's all her work; you didn't seem to have a problem with her taking the pictures (or you should have stopped her...) in the first place, so the way she chooses to use them is up to her.

I had no idea they were being taken for these reasons! And certainly not to make a business out off, so how could I stop her?? If she had have indicated her intentions then I could have made an informed decision. I'd like to make clear, I'm not annoyed for Financial reasons, couldnt give a stuff about £5.99 for a mug! I just think its a lack of courtesy especially as I am family!

Kat

Visit site
Does the photographer not have to ask an owners permission if they intend to use the owners animals to sell the photo's? It's one thing taking pics to show on your own site as examples but another to then sell the images without owner permission surely?

I would be a bit cheesed if she hadn't asked first. Think it's only courtesy to get permission if it's for financial gain. If it was to go in H&H then no wouldn't be cheesed!

No need to ask permission to take photos of animals at all. And if they are in a public place you can't stop people doing it either.

Good job DH goes out photographing random animals, and buildings to use in his drawings all the time. If he had to track down the owner every time it would be a nightmare! As it is he takes the pictures from the road or footpath so it is all fine.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
In the circumstances of the OP yes I would be annoyed, if that was her intention why did she not tell you when she took the pics? Was she on your yard at the time? I think she is rude, she may be legally fine, but not morally IMO

stroppy

Visit site
Well she took the photo, got the stuff made it, it's all her work; you didn't seem to have a problem with her taking the pictures (or you should have stopped her...) in the first place, so the way she chooses to use them is up to her.

No its not! would you apply that reasoning if it where pictures of kids she was taking and selling?.... No i thought not!

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Legalities aside, yes, I'd be fuming. I'd also be very annoyed if non-familty took pictures of my horses, never mind turning them into profit making 'items'!

My horses. I've looked after them and paid for them to look how they are and be where they are. If it's at a comp or other away from home situation, then different, so long as the pictures are for the competition, but at home, in their own spot. No. Furious I'd be.

Kat

Visit site
In the circumstances of the OP yes I would be annoyed, if that was her intention why did she not tell you when she took the pics? Was she on your yard at the time? I think she is rude, she may be legally fine, but not morally IMO

Agree!

AndySpooner

Visit site
If a someone had found a way to make a few bob out of pictures of our animals I think that I would be quite pleased for them. I don't think that I would be bothered whether they asked me or told me what they were doing, and I certainly wouldn't have a peevish reaction. I may think 'Wish I'd thought of that,' but thats as far as it goes.

To start bringing pictures of children into the argument is both irrelevant and inflamitory, and done to try and make the subject matter of the photographs substantive, which they are clearly not.

Basically, get a life.

stroppy

Visit site
To start bringing pictures of children into the argument is both irrelevant and inflamitory, and done to try and make the subject matter of the photographs substantive, which they are clearly not.

Basically, get a life.

Jog On!!

Last edited:

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
QR
I think manners would demand that she ask you first and receive your permission to use your horse's image. However, I would be flatter for my horse rather than angry if it was wanted on photos etc. My only concern would be safety, does she advertise where the horse is?

FDC

turkana

Visit site
I wouldn't mind; although as she's a member of the family it would have been nice if she'd let you know what her intentions were.
But I don't think I would care enough to make a fuss about it, I would ask for a freebee though.

smiffyimp

Visit site
Hi All Thanks for your replies. Im not going to make a fuss about it, it was just a Wednesday afternoon grunt at the lack of manners:D
Im certainly not bothered about her making money - if she makes that much i'll start it myself - with her cat!:D
As for freebies - no need, I own the real things - I get cuddles:D

Colleen_Miss_Tom

Somewhere in Ireland up north to the west abit , t
Visit site
Hi All Thanks for your replies. Im not going to make a fuss about it, it was just a Wednesday afternoon grunt at the lack of manners:D
Im certainly not bothered about her making money - if she makes that much i'll start it myself - with her cat!:D

Yes I understood your point , and yes I think it would have been common courtesy to have been asked . But hey ho . :)

Some people(andy) need to calm down abit :D .

Col x

turkana

Visit site

I would feel the same way, it was a bit rude of her not to run it by you first; I'd still want a freebee though!
I'm quite a keen photographer & often take pictures of horses at my yard, I always give the owner a copy if it's a good shot, I recently gave my YO a photo of his house & drive covered in snow. The pictures always go down well & it doesn't cost much.

Biscuit

Visit site
It is a bit odd that she did not tell you, and I can see why you find it rude, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it is worth having any sort of argument with your in-laws over such a trivial little thing.

She may also have had her reasons for not telling you - perhaps if this is a new business venture she did not feel all that confident about mentioning it, in case you thought it was a silly idea or something?

If you find it hard not to say anything, and feel you need to bring it up, perhaps just ask her how come she did not mention it to you, and then go on to complement her on her business initiative.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
What an interesting thread!

I'm a dog groomer. I take photos of before/after shots. Sometimes I post these on my website or facebook. To be honest, I get folk that are miffed if I DON'T use THEIR pets as part of my advertising! LOL I very often get "HOw come you don't use Fluffy's pic???". Truth is, I am not a great photographer, I'm also not a miracle worker for grooming. Some dogs are very cute and photogenic. Some just aren't. And sometimes I'm in the mood or have time to take piccis and other times I don't. But even that aside, if someone said to me that they'd like a copy, no problem - I'll email or print them one. If they asked me NOT to use it, not a problem. Easily removed.

Personally I'd not be annoyed. Flattered perhaps, and would certainly be askin for a freebie! I'd love a mug with my dog's face on it!

My wedding photographer used shots from my wedding -- I wasn't surprised really as it was a fairly interesting wedding (it was back home in the US, and my hubby and his mates, all Scots wore traditional kilts). I was very flattered that he ran pics as part of his marketing. I wasn't asked about it, he just did it.

Meanwhile, I took a cute pic of a gorgeous dog that I'd trimmed and used that as my yellow page advert. I told the owner my intent, just to make sure it was okay. She's delighted that her wee dog is my cover star!

BonneMaman

Visit site
Nope - I would be flattered and I would be happy for my family member to be making some cash in these hard times.

Charity starts at home.

jinglejoys

Visit site
I got a bit of a shock when I saw a painting of my dog done by a well known artist.It was very good and had been taken from a photo when she had won best of breed at some show,its just that she had since died and it upset me a bit.Silly I know but it was as if they had stolen a bit of her.If they had asked I would've probably said yes it was just the taking her memory as if it was their dog that hurt.

swalk

Visit site
Totally different to your situation, but I remember being thrillled as a teenager to see a photo of my and my pony Tosca used to advertise Marslands Farm in Coventry. They must have picked my photo out of loads taken at a XC there, I just happened to see the advert up at Stoneleigh one day!

Last edited: