would you be annoyed?

LadyRascasse

Visit site
following on from my post about the other livery, i am over reacting or would you be annoyed if you left your horse without a rug and come down in the morning to find it was rugged???

asked said livery if she had put a rug on my horse and she said yes because she thought it was cold. now i no my horse is a tb but i have owned thoroughbreds for 4 years and i know when too and when not too rug them. and it wasn't particularly cold last night and my other tb (my yard is split in to 2 and are on opposite side of the road) didn't died or get a chill, infact he was still really toasty

am i over reacting or would you be annoyed too, be as harsh as you like if you think i'm just whineing for no reason.

Abbeygale

Visit site
Yes it would! One thing that used to annoy me more than anything when I was on a livery yard was other people thinking that they needed to interfere with my horse!

Go kick their asses!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

dwi

Visit site
My friend did once ring me to tell me she was putting a rug on my horse because she couldn't bear to see her stood in the field with no rug on. I humoured her and then it turned out to chuck it down with rain for the next 24 hours and I was actually quite grateful.

In general though, no, its incredibly rude to rug someone else's horse without asking them. I would say that most people overrug their horses and the majority of the time D is happy without a rug.

xXGemblesXx

Visit site
I havent read your other post so forgive me if I am sticking my foot in it
grin.gif
but I guess I would think it depends on the circumstances..

Generally if the person is clearly more knowledgeble than me, and my horse was the same/ better off for it I wouldnt mind that much.

In this case... I probably would understand that she was trying to do the right thing, but at the same time a bit annoyed that she hadnt asked (could she have texted you or something). I know its not really the point- but was your horse sweating underneath? If he was unconfortable because of it I would have been furious..

I think you are perfectly justified in being annoyed. Can you approach her and ask her not to worry in the future??
smile.gif

sophieacton

Visit site
yes i would be!

i get it alot with my tb, people don't realise she i a 'hot' horse and hates being over rugged and hot.

yet my chunky pony alway seems to feel cold!! lol

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would yes...it would be like somone going and fiddling with my husband.
blush.gif
grin.gif

Not allowed!

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
never thought of it as hubby fiddling before...now I really want to put rugs on other liveries horses and not tell them it was me just for the kicks
wink.gif

But seriously yes I would be annoyed, the YO should be the only person putting rugs on and off horses, they are the one's paid to care for the horse.

Flint12

Visit site
Yep and because they kept doing it. .. i ended up moving yards. . .even though i told them not to put another rug on etc. . .

At the time he was a wooly baby conni who allready had a middleweight on one night. . . .i cam down the next morning to be faced with michelin man!!

Not impressed. . .

only_me

Visit site
no, not at all. In fact, i would be grateful that they are looking out for my horse!

I have many a times put on a rug off the livery horse next door to mine, because as that person isnt up in the evening dosent know the weather, so I put on rug if horse isnt wearing one/left out/is cold, but I dont usually take off the rug unless it is exceptionally warm. I take off the rug if it is really warm and sunny otherwise horse would sweat!!

I trust my YO that they are only doing the best that they can for my horse - i think its a bit touchy to get annoyed by someone taking off/putting on a rug tbh!
crazy.gif

lexiedhb

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
no, not at all. In fact, i would be grateful that they are looking out for my horse!

I have many a times put on a rug off the livery horse next door to mine, because as that person isnt up in the evening dosent know the weather, so I put on rug if horse isnt wearing one/left out/is cold, but I dont usually take off the rug unless it is exceptionally warm. I take off the rug if it is really warm and sunny otherwise horse would sweat!!

I trust my YO that they are only doing the best that they can for my horse - i think its a bit touchy to get annoyed by someone taking off/putting on a rug tbh!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not the YO ita another livery, who may not have sufficient knowledge to judge wether or not the horse needs a rug on...... More to the point I wouldnt want other liveries in the stable with my horse without my permission-- its trespass!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
would you be annoyed if you left your horse without a rug and come down in the morning to find it was rugged???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - I'd be over the moon that someone had been considerate enough to do that. And would be thanking them.

only_me

Visit site
Well, since the livery is in my other stable...
tongue.gif
I think trespass is a bit too far lol!

But then all at our yard are experienced and we all know enough about horses to know when to rug and when not to rug - we all have our qualifications lol!

If person rugged a horse with a MW and it was 15'C then i would be annoyed yes, but only because they didnt have enough sense to see that it was too heavy a rug for the temperature!
tongue.gif

muffinino

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see your point about looking out for your horse but if they're concerned they should contact you. If the horse was injured then obviously I would be grateful if they did something about it but I would be tamping if someone rugged my horse without asking me first. A YO you trust and have an arrangement with is one thing, random liveries taking it upon themselves to do things like this is another. At my yard, so many people over-rug IMO but I would not take one off without contacting them first (eg if it was sweltering and they were pouring with sweat then I would try to ring them to ask if I should take it off). I have had people people comment how 'mean' I am for putting T out unrugged
smirk.gif
and I would be annoyed if they just decided to put one on as he overheats easily (plus his precious mane gets rubbed - the horror!). After all, he's a horse, not made of papier mache, and most can survive a night or so in the rain without melting
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Silverspring

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if they are putting a heavy weight rug on a horse that the owner feel does not need a rug that night. The horse could be left far to warm esp if the owners are not able to get down to take the rug back off in the morning, it could stand for 24 hours with the YO assuming the owner had put the rug on.

Maybe if it was someone the owner was friends with, trusted and had discussed previously what rugging the owner felt was appropriate. Anything else I'd be annoyed at, if I took my horse's rug off I wouldn't expect it to go back on til I asked the YO or told the YO to judge when to put it on etc

hellybelly6

Visit site
I would be cross because my horse does not like being hot.

The correct thing to have done would be to text/phone you to check.

Last summer when the horses were hot, bothered and upset at the flies, I got my horse in and texted my friend to see if she wanted hers in too. I would never dream of doing anything like that without checking first.

lexiedhb

Visit site
To all those who wouldnt mind if someone else rugged your horse without asking you, when you had specifically left the rug off........ would it be ok for this person to feed your horse because they thought it to thin? get it shod by any old farrier because they thought it needed shoeing? ride the horse even because they thought it could do with the exercise???

The point is it is not the other liveries horse to be doing anything with without the explicit instruction of the owner..... of course it is s nice thing to do for somone if they have asked you to.............. plain interfering IMO if they havent!

ladyearl

vvv
I'd be raging if anyone touched my horse when I wasn't there.

I hate over rugging. Perhaps a quiet word explaining that you do not want her to rug your horse and that in doing so she is actually interfering with the horses natural ability to self regulate its temperature and her seemingly innocent actions could have long term consequences for your horses welfare!!

Damnation

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
would you be annoyed if you left your horse without a rug and come down in the morning to find it was rugged???

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - I'd be over the moon that someone had been considerate enough to do that. And would be thanking them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. As long as the rugging is justified and the horse isn't sweating like a pig and is comfortable in the rug when I go up then why should I complain?

Angua2

Visit site
Actually no.
I have been in this situation and am actually glad that people are looking out for my horses. As for putting on the wrong rug, I do not leave unappropriate rugs available. On my yard we all have each others phone numbers and do tend to let each other know what we have done or to ask if we should. I have also put rugs on fellow liveries horses when the situation warrented it.

LadyRascasse

Visit site
just to clarify, it wasn't my yo who put the rug on, yes i was annoyed but i didn't voice it or have ago at the livery.

my reasons for being annoyed are, 1) she doesn't know if my horse is a hot or cold horse (she is a hot horse) 2) just because hers are having rugs is not a reason for mine to. and 3) i didn't ask her to or say that she could go and interfer with my horse. what if i had had the vet to the horse in the day that she didn't know about and it was suppose to have the rug left off (i have had the vet tell me this even in winter with a clipped horse because of the illness) she hadn't seen me since the morning alot could have changed in that time.

i wouldn't change anyones rug without first checking with the owner and if they are unreacherable cheacking with the person in charge (i.e. YO) and i would only then do anything with permission.

Dubsie

Visit site
As annoying as it may seem, I would bite my tongue, thank the person for their concern, but ask them if they could please ring you and check next time, as he was rather hot and sweaty, and then double check they've got your phone number.

FWIW I always text my daughter's pony's owner if I'm passing their field (we live round the corner so I pass about 4 or 5 times a day) and see her TB is rugged/unrugged and might be in need of a change, as I know she's up the field before 8am when perhaps it was rainy or frosty and meanwhile the weather has changed completely and it's now 15 and sunny. I'd not dream of doing anything without her say so.

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
I would have been annoyed, unless
a - that person was a very good friend and they knew what you would want
b - you had a prior arrangement with them

My old horse ended up having to have a full grille up and a biting sign as he bit another livery (human!) on the nose. Because she was kissing him
I was FUMING

It's slightly different with extreme weather - for instance if I had put my horse out, unrugged and there was sudden torrential rain and wind, I would be grateful if someone had brought him in, if all the others were coming in