would you be annoyed?

LankyDoodle

Visit site
I would be livid.

Just because it rains it does not mean a horse will need a rug. The recent rain has not been 'cold rain' and we've still had consistently mild temperatures. Horses are not made of a soluable substance and however precious you are about them getting an ickle bit wet, they won't give a damn, so long as they are warm enough and fed enough!

So yes, I would be mad. My warmblood and cob have both been sans rug since March and the only rug the warmblood will wear between now and late Sept/early Oct, is a sweetitch rug! The cob - nothing.

I once went to the yard (last yard) to find that the YO had changed my horses' rugs (during the snow, when they were in and I was still managing to get there as we have a 4x4). It was one of the reasons we ended up leaving - some people just can't resist sticking their oar in.

I would not be happy if I were you, as it just feels like an indiscreet way of saying 'I know better that you do and you aren't looking after your horse properly' which in some cases may be true, but then you'd talk to the person, surely?#

Grrrrr!

TequilaMist

Visit site
I always text/call people if think their horse needs rug on/off.Wouldn't dream of touching it otherwise(unless as has been said extreme weather conditions and couldn't contact owner)and everyone at yard does this.And theres no-one on our yard wouldn't trust to be sensible about it.As a totally DIY yard we all help/rely on each other at times
If horse was ok in morning would probably not get annoyed but would thank them and explain why I didn't want rugs on(one gets a sort of sweat rash if gets too warm and other one is fat on nothing so tbh want her to lose a bit)

mickey

Visit site
At face value of your post I would be annoyed, but I don't know other circumstances around this. Hope you sort it all.
smile.gif

kimky

Visit site
Personally if some one rugged my horse, at the nessercary time e.g. about to rain, turned very cold and all the other horses had theres on. I would not mind. But i would like to be notified, incase the weather turned warm in the morning so i could go take it off her. I would try not to be to annoyed, maybe the livery was trying to help (even if they arent really knowlegable) Deep Breaths and tomorrows a new day am sure the livery has got the idea to not to do it again.
x

diggerbez

Visit site
QR. yes i would be fuming. i hate it when people interefere. would be different if they had rung you to check but the fact that they didn't would have really wound me up

cindydog

Visit site
At yard we are still in quarantine and I only go to yard once a day and if its nice out I will take rugs off and later if it turns y/o will decide if rugs needs to be put back on..
smile.gif

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
The correct protocol is ring the owner and do as they say. If not possible to speak, leave a message to say it has gone hot or cold and their horse looks as though a rug adjustment might be needed, but do nothing.

If I was a friend and sure it was the right thing to do based on past experience and I saw a shivering and mirserable horse (or sweltering heatstroke candidate) then I would act appropriately.

But I'd be leaving messages everywhere.

If a relative stranger, tell the YO instead and leave them to sort it.

Rugs wouldn't be too much of an issue for me, but then unathorised feeding, turning out and riding might follow! Not to mention accidents and injuries to either your horse or the interfering person...

No, friendly eye and message for me.

Kenzo

Visit site

I think your over reacting if your really annoyed yes, ok so you don't want someone making decisions if your horse should be rugged or not, quite rightly so but at the end of the day did it really do any harm if the person just acted in good faith?

Would you have felt the same if it was pouring it down with rain and the person quickly bobbed it on? if not then you can't have it both ways ... unless you strap a thermometer to your horses back so she knows when it's ok or not
grin.gif

Just politely say that your horses are now naked for the rest of summer or something like that but thank you anyway.
smile.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I can understand putting a rug on something that is shivering and poor, and when it is known that the owner is less than caring, but, if someone put a rug on Dizzy (DW), I'd be annoyed. She's a hot horse and gets sweated up when over-rugged. If it were Little Lad, well he's fully clipped and a wimp; Little Cob gets miserable if too hot and won't move. So, three neds, and all pretty different in their reactions to being over-rugged. Unless someone knows them like I do, or calls me, then they are to keep their paws off my horses
grin.gif

AnnaJ

Visit site
It's happened to me where my friend put a rug on Athena, only because it had been raining all day and Athena was shivering as she was cold. I don't mind my close friends at the yard helping me out. I appreciate it to be honest