Would you be mad? & experiences please

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
If you haven't had a falling out with the yard yet (haven't read whole thread) can you just ask them for a list of what feeds and suppliments and medications your horse is on and in what amounts, in the interests of continuity when he moves yard? Then you can discuss with an outside vet about withdrawal.

atouchwild

Visit site
I run a yard with full liveries, and we are required as part of this to make decisions about the management of owners horses. We do not speak to owners to alter or change a horses feed unless it is a drastic change as it is very dependant on how we are managing that horse, his exercise regime, condition etc.
However, I would never ever administer a supplement or drug to a client's horse without speaking to them first. Even if I think a horse needs Bute, I will do my best to contact the owner first, who 9/10 times will say do what you think best!

What they have done is not only extremely worrying but highly unprofessional. Have they mentioned anything about his behaviour that might suggest he needs a calmer? Even if they said he was a raving lunatic however, I would still expect this to be discussed. As others have said, the fact that lots of horses are on the same very strong calmer would be ringing alarm bells. Calmers of any sort should be a last resort IMO.

I would be moving ASAP, I would find somewhere you are happy with before you tell them, if he's been there a while he will be ok until you get sorted. Makes you wonder what else they aren't telling you...

You have my sympathies, it so hard entrusting your pride and joy to a stranger and then to find what appears ideal isn't so much is a horrible situation.
Even more worrying, they don't seem to think they have done anything wrong.

be positive

Visit site
I haven't really got a current vet (the vet I use at the moment is very good friends with the YO who I now don't trust) so I might call my old vet (whose in a different area) for some advice.

My worry is how he is going to react, after being on it for a few weeks, especially when moving to a new home as well.

I think a chat to your old vet is a good idea, the thought that your horse has been on this for some time and that he may react when coming off horrifies me, as a YO I cannot imagine giving something so potent to a horse, let alone several, just to keep them quiet especially at this time of year when they should all be out enjoying the lovely weather, all mine are so chilled out that it would be the last thing they need.

I think you really do need to make your feelings known even if you do it by mail rather than face to face, that is if you have decided not to take legal action, which I would like to think you will, otherwise they are getting away with it until someone has an accident riding a drugged horse.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Yes, definitely get veterinary advice. The trouble is you don't know how much the horse has been given, whether it was regularly given or just when the yard "decided" he needed it. Given that a side effect of sedatives is, bizzarely, hyperactivity, the OP might find that the horse is a bit more lively. On the plus side, KBr is cheap and easily obtained and should the OP be advised to provide a weaning dose, at least it won't break the bank. It takes about 3 weeks of regular use to have a medicinal effect where seizures are concerned so hopefully the OP's horse will carry on in future with no problem - and enjoy being on his new yard away from these idiots on the current one. It wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't been given him cannabis brownies on the side as well!

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Not read all the replies but surely if the vet had prescribed that would mean you would have to pay? I'd question why the vet was called and why treatment has been administered without your permission / speaking to you first. I would also refuse to pay any bills, and would keep very sweet and happy until you can find a suitable yard, then I would up and leave. And I wouldn't bother paying my livery bill for that week either, who knows what other shortcuts have been used....

Good luck OP. I hope there is no lasting damage.

MrsP*

Visit site
He's been "on the maximum allowed dosage", twice a day for around 3 weeks apparently. He is a little but quirky but doesn't buck, rear, spin or do anything dangerous (I wouldn't ride him if he did as I'm not an amazing rider) but he is a bit spooky. They've only been riding him in the indoor school so there's no reason for him to be so out of it and subdued.

There's only 4 ponies, my other gelding, 2 cobs and an old schoolmaster who's not in it. They think it's perfectly normal and everyday.

It's only £13 a tub so it just went on June's bill with some other bits and pieces under 'extras'.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I certainly wouldn't be paying for it when they've been drugging up your horse without telling you and for no apparently good reason! Cheeky so and sos!

MrsP*

Visit site
I run a yard with full liveries, and we are required as part of this to make decisions about the management of owners horses. We do not speak to owners to alter or change a horses feed unless it is a drastic change as it is very dependant on how we are managing that horse, his exercise regime, condition etc.
However, I would never ever administer a supplement or drug to a client's horse without speaking to them first. Even if I think a horse needs Bute, I will do my best to contact the owner first, who 9/10 times will say do what you think best!

What they have done is not only extremely worrying but highly unprofessional. Have they mentioned anything about his behaviour that might suggest he needs a calmer? Even if they said he was a raving lunatic however, I would still expect this to be discussed. As others have said, the fact that lots of horses are on the same very strong calmer would be ringing alarm bells. Calmers of any sort should be a last resort IMO.

I would be moving ASAP, I would find somewhere you are happy with before you tell them, if he's been there a while he will be ok until you get sorted. Makes you wonder what else they aren't telling you...

You have my sympathies, it so hard entrusting your pride and joy to a stranger and then to find what appears ideal isn't so much is a horrible situation.
Even more worrying, they don't seem to think they have done anything wrong.

I'm happy for quite a lot of decisions to be made when I'm not there but I must admit I did say when I went to look round and when I first moved there that I didn't want his feed to be changed without me knowing as he had ulcers a few years ago. They've also changed his bit a lot (despite his own two bridles being in the tack room, they just grab anything) which I'm not that happy about but it's not that major, not compared to the potassium bromide anyway!!!

Highlands

Visit site
Be so angry... What would have happened if you decided to jump him half doped... I suspect you can access your horse any time you like? Not on

Marydoll

Visit site
Id be absolutely livid and the person responsible would be ripped up for ar$epaper.
I dont care who they are, any changes to your horse, its care and management should be discussed with you, but to drug your horse covertly, id have struggled to not lay them out frankly

AmieeT

Visit site
Wow, just read through this whole thread.

I think the debate about whether or not its proven is pointless tbh. It was goven without owners knowledge or permission- thats the be all and end all of this.

OP- hope your new yard is worth the extra money, I'd say it would be for your horse's safety and your own peace of mind.

Have you been able to speak to your old vet yet? I'm curious about his thoughts on the matter.

I agree with everyone saying to have him blood tested- at least that way if you decide to sue them you have hard evidence.

Hope you're ok, must've been an awful shock

Ax