Would you breed from a mare

gingerchance

www.freewebs.com
Erm my old mare had kissing spines and my vet advised that there would be no risk if she was bred from. I decided against breeding in the end as she had other conformational issues and it would be unresponsible breeding x

Armas

Visit site
Most defenatly not I think any one that breeds from a mare with KS needs to have there head examined !
It's my understanding that it is a genetic disease thus could be passed on. Also think about the pain the poor mare would be in.

Pipkin

Visit site
Most defenatly not I think any one that breeds from a mare with KS needs to have there head examined !
It's my understanding that it is a genetic disease thus could be passed on. Also think about the pain the poor mare would be in.

Ditto.

Elsiecat

Visit site
No! If KS is in fact genetic then you are breeding a problem of the future!
Also pain POV mentioned above should be considered.

Bedlam

Visit site
No I wouldn't. In fact I didn't when it was suggested by a vet. I just think it's wrong when there are many completely sound mares out there and many well bred foals that are either not selling or selling for a fraction of what they are costing to produce.

Armas

Visit site
can i just say something?

it is not un-noticed that the person posting this thread has been making not so veiled insults to myself over the past couple of days, so therefore it doesnt take a genius to work out who is being discussed here.

My mare has been checked and rechecked - on the last xrays her back showed as normal which the vets think the original issue in her pelvis made her hold herself stiff and contract herself. With a lot of hard work and therapy, these issues are gone. My mare has xrayed fine in her back a few months back.

I would never do anything to any animal if i thought they were a) in pain and b) would be detrimental to her health. I have taken a lot of advise from a lot of professionals.

I do not need my head examined. Armas, you only followed here to jump on the band wagon as you have a personal vendetta against me. if you have an issues with what i am doing, then bared and veiled insults whilst i am already stressed enough are not necessary and indeed, rather bad form.

I am more then happy to answer any PM's that you send, but if you continue to insult me or insinuate i need my head examined, then i suggest that shows more about you as a person then me.

Excuse me, truly you are deluded I do not see how this thread is aimed at you ? I am not sure why you are dragging me in to your paranoia.
I commented on my views in relation to the posters question. Nothing to do with you. However yet again a thread has been turned in to a look at me listen to me blaaa blaaa blaaa.
Frankly I am not interested in you your horse or your post or your depression for that reason I never commented on the thread "Button Pushers "
http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=605086

But perhaps the posters are were right in there comments clearly you have lost the plot and need help.

Armas

Visit site
Armas - do you think i am an idiot? Seriously? I am not paranoid, im just not stupid.

And linking that thread...really..is it relevant to a breeding post? nice...
DD if I wanted to have a go at you, I would have on that thread. The point I was making I have no interest on posting things that relate to you.
Hence I did not respond perhaps I should have now.
The linking thread was to try to remind you that you need help and that I have not commented on posts that relate to you. I am not the only one that has noticed that you have some issues get a grip not every thing is about you.

tessybear

Visit site
I didn't see this as aimed at anyone ? Perhaps i am being nieve or didn't look into it properly ??

But a horse with confirmed KS imho shouldn't be bred from there are to many foals out there as it is turning into unwanted horses. Passing the KS into the foal through genetics if it was confirmed by a vet again is irresponsible, it makes the foals future uncertain and will most likely result in a horse being passed from pillar to post.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
My vet is of the opinion that if you X rayed the entire horse population of the UK, a huge number of them would appear to have kissing spines!
There are various reasons for the condition (we have had several retired here so seen them over a period of 20 years) and it can even be caused over time by an unbalanced heavy rider . All of the horses here with the exception of one who was lame when it arrived and although it improved we decided it was kinder to euthanise improved hugely when not ridden and turned out on varied pasture which meant they had to use their bodies in a natural way.
Would I breed from a mare with KS, well yes, actually I would. If it had decent conformation, temperament and a proven bloodline and competition record I would choose a stallion with as few faults as possible and trust as it has never been proved to be hereditary (yes, the vet said that not me!) the resulting foal would be ok.
Would I breed from a nappy, unwilling tempered mare, no I wouldn't. Neither would I use one with bad feet.
We have been breeding nice horses for quite some time and been ruthless about not breeding again from any mare that didn't produce the goods either in soundness, temperament or ability. Breeding is always a lottery and if you get the majority of things you want in the resulting foal in the parents then you get the same in the offspring.
We have a mare going in foal this year who has been diagnosed with KS (given to us by her owner). Two different vets have examined her including scanning and said in their opinion her condition would have been caused by a badly fitting saddle.. She has superb bloodlines, moves well, is sound was an excellent mare before getting the problem so we are happy to take the chance, the stallion has a record of producing tough sound stock with no arthritic conditions.
As we tend to follow our homebreds over the years after selling them I will be happy to report at a later date if any resulting foal gets the problem..

zigzag

Visit site
OK this is not at aimed at DD!!! As I just replied to her PM I didn't even know her horse had KS. I asked because I just heard a friends mare is in foal (due June) and she has KS.

DD seems to think I am having a go at her every time I post, she is a bit Paranoid lol, as I explained in my pm to her, I have been a member since 2007, became inactive around 2009, then started posting again just after Christmas... I did not KNOW her horse had KS, I didn't read any threads back last summer. I also used to post regularly in Breeding (which DD said I never post in Breeding) Remember the foal watch cams from Rollestone stud anyone?

So this was a genuine question not a dig DD... sigh

Armas

Visit site
OK this is not at aimed at DD!!! As I just replied to her PM I didn't even know her horse had KS. I asked because I just heard a friends mare is in foal (due June) and she has KS.

DD seems to think I am having a go at her every time I post, she is a bit Paranoid lol, as I explained in my pm to her, I have been a member since 2007, became inactive around 2009, then started posting again just after Christmas... I did not KNOW her horse had KS, I didn't read any threads back last summer. I also used to post regularly in Breeding (which DD said I never post in Breeding) Remember the foal watch cams from Rollestone stud anyone?

So this was a genuine question not a dig DD... sigh

OP thank you for clarifying why you posted the question on KS all though I am not sure why you had to justify your post. It would seem there is no conspiracy against DD.

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
KS maynot be genetic, as it can be injury based & it depends on where it is located as to whether the mare will be in pain carrying a foal. Most of the time this condition can be cured with an operation. Also as mentioned there are probably a few mares that have not been diagnoised yet have it & have been bred from. A reason to be careful when breeding from a mare that has a history of being nappy under saddle. Would I breed from one, no, because again as already stated there are enough decent mares without taking a risk. But if a vet gave the go ahead & the mare had good conformation otherwise, good breeding & compeition record then it would be very difficult to turn her down as a breeding prospect. So like most things not that cut & dried.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
CT erm i already have :confused:

To Armas? For having a totally unjustified go at him? Where?:confused: If Zigzag has said that she wasn't having a pop at you (and why would you even think that? Not everything to do with breeding and/or KS has you as a theme, surely?) then imo you owe Armas an apology for mentioning him and saying what you said about him.

smokey

Visit site
To Armas? For having a totally unjustified go at him? Where?:confused: If Zigzag has said that she wasn't having a pop at you (and why would you even think that? Not everything to do with breeding and/or KS has you as a theme, surely?) then imo you owe Armas an apology for mentioning him and saying what you said about him.

Agreed

Armas

Visit site
She clearly has issues as she freely admits to being depressed in the past . DD you need to step back and reflect. I think you need professional help I am not the only one saying this. You attacked me and the op for no reason that is not normal.

TomH

Visit site
Im getting sick and tired of certain people think it amusing to keep question.

Armas - you posted a video on youtube the ther day of a young girl jumping your horse bareback - i could say something but i wont.

My mare is impecibly looked after. I have spent thousands on treatment and dont begrudge a penny. If you continue to insinuate that i am putting her at risk or breeding indiscriminately when indeed the foal is for myself, you are continuing to show yourself as a very sad man indeed.

Wow. I don't know you from Adam but I think you should think about what you write before you insult others on this forum. I am not sure why you have chosen to attack Armas when a bunch of other people also said they also wouldn't breed from a mare with kissing spines. I think you need a reality check. Not everything is about you!

And in answer to the original question - yes I would breed from a horse with KS as long as it had been x-rayed and confirmed by vet that it wouldn't be in pain.

FionaM12

Visit site
FWIW I actually suspected this thread was aimed at DD too. I'd seen previous interaction between the OP/Armas/DD and a suspicion crossed my mind....

I accept the Op's assertion that it wasn't aimed at her, but I can see where DD was coming from. Her reaction was hasty and excessive maybe, and an apology is in order. But please don't everyone pile in and start making it worse for a young woman who's clearly feeling fragile lately.