Would you buy a horse that swaps leads behind?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
But this one does not sound completely sound (if that makes sense). It sounds like one of ours who had PSD and went on to develop SI issues. I think it could be heartbreak. The price doesn't make any sense - too cheap for a good jumper, too expensive for an out of work potential field ornament.
Agree if it’s not sound it’s worth very little. Just not sure you can get loads of similar sound horses for same price.

misst

Visit site
There are sound horses out there but they can be hard to find. Surely just because you cannot find one easily you don't buy an unsound one?

silv

Visit site
He's £8750 ... gentle giant with a really good brain and lovely temperament, I think quite athletic when he's fit and healthy ... being out of shape now he was jumping 1.40 with relative ease (not that I need anything that jumps that big).

Sounds a bit odd he is going for such money, when he has been doing 1.40. I would be suspicous to be honest.

Changing behind is usually the result of soreness. My gelding got cast in his yard last year and afterwards was constantly disuniting on a circle, he appeared really sore down one side where he had been lying. Thankfully the damage was only muscular. With intensive physio., massage, and couple of visits from the Chiro, he came right and is back to getting scores in the high 60s at novice level and moving up to Elementary in a couple of months.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Probably not in that situation for that price. Sorry. I wouldn’t think a horse of that age who’d been jumping 1.40s would lose the ability to canter without changing behind just because he’d had some time off. I’d be suspicious that there was something underlying there...

It’s not always a straight up no from me. My current horse did it (well he’d just go disunited) when I bought him. BUT he was a 6yo who had done very little canter work for 18mo (the why is a whole other story), and I got a 5 stage vetting and I got them to do a few extra tests to check his soundness behind.

Louby

Visit site
No Id walk away sorry. Ive recently had my beautiful young mare pts with hind end issues that we have battled with for almost 2 years. She has had the very best treatment, care and rehabilitation and tbf If I had wanted to, I could have probably sold her as sound last year but she sadly didnt stay that way. She looked weak behind and I admit I buried my head in the sand and worked on that, poles etc when really she just want right. She swapped legs occasionally on the lunge but not constantly and never did it ridden. A sound horse is expensive to keep as it is but one with a maybe he/she has a problem is a no no and possibly an endless money pit and the added heartache on top.
Horses are expensive atm but Im sure there is a horse out there that is sound for this horses price tag.

Sossigpoker

Visit site
My yard owner has a 24 year old warm blood that used to compete at 1.40 and above. He still moves like a dream and is probably one of the soundest horses you'll find. Age and past hard work don't have to result in a horse with a problem.
Sacroiliac injuries are common amongst jumpers though- just out of interest, does this horse have a "hunters /jumpers bump"?

Northern

Visit site
No No No. Don't do it.
Like many others have said, mine started changing behind and was diagnosed with KS and likely SI and a host of other issues.
She tried and tried for me but just couldn't work properly and is sat in the paddock doing nothing at the moment. I am just trying to decide whether I will go down the rabbit hole of injections again or surgery because she is still young...

Melody Grey

Visit site
No, despite being slightly suspicious of the circumstances of your horse (good horse, not enough money, should be established at that age), my own happy hacker/ RC type has just cost £10k in vets investigations (insured thankfully) for SI, hind PSD, foot imbalances and ulcers. One of his ridden symptoms was disuniting behind in canter.

Annagain

Visit site
A 4 year old who was weak and just learning about balance, possibly (well, I wouldn't buy a 4 year old but... hypothetically) . An 11 year old who's been there and done it, even after a period out of work, no thank you.

Birker2020

Visit site
He's £8750 ... gentle giant with a really good brain and lovely temperament, I think quite athletic when he's fit and healthy ... being out of shape now he was jumping 1.40 with relative ease (not that I need anything that jumps that big).
jumping a single fence at 1.40 or jumping a track at that height? Most big horses could jump a single 1.40 fence with ease. Lots of people get caught up with 'how high' a horse can jump but there's a world of difference between a single fence and going around a big track of fences at that height.

WelshD

Visit site
I would not buy no.

For a dealer to be making o this horse and taking in to account the fact its out of work then I would guess at it being bought from the field with the dealer knowing very little about the history. Its surprising that the dealer hasn't got the this quality of horse back in to basic work too as the value could then be so much higher.

When my pony disunited in the hind end it turned out he had ulcers - I agree with the comment someone made about a preference for canter leads being a little different to a disunited horse

MissMay

Visit site
Actually I’m looking at the moment and there aren’t that many 4-12 year old, 16-16.2hh uncomplicated, with decent basic schooling, sound, quality types under £10k. Most have an if / a quirk / or a weakness or a visible issue when see stood up or on video [or are over 200 miles away].
if your willing to buy unseen from Ireland I can connect you with about 5 off the top of my head

horsimous

Visit site
I don’t blame you, there are a lot of horses for big prices that really don’t warrant it! Last thing you want is a high purchase price and a horse that turns into a money drain.