Would you buy an older horse?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I don’t think I would no. I did a few years ago buy an 18 yr Anglo Arab. In hindsight all the warning bells were there but I bought him anyway, cheaply.
Turned out to be a bit of a disaster, he had so many problems, from quite literally nearly killing my farrier and needing sedation to continue to being crippled all round with arthritis. Further investigations put him at late 20’s and my vet suspects all joints injected to get rid.
I looked after and tried to give him a nice last few months.
I already now have a 28 and 21 yr old both with heath problems so certainly wouldn’t go and intentionally buy another!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If you'd have asked me a mere 2 years ago I would have said "absolutely not!"...

Now I know about PSSM, I would absolutely buy an older horse!!! Provided it is forward and had a good performance history of course...

millikins

Visit site
My primary interest is driving, I hope to get my shetlands broken this year but I do enjoy a hack too. Current hacker is 22 year old connie (who can still cart me when the mood takes him), but if he needs to retire then I would like another safe but lively hack. Ideally something that can be a fair weather hack without going nuts after a few days off. There was a 20 year old Arab mare recently on a site I frequent, if sound something like her would suit me as I'm 60 this year so don't want anything big or very wide.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
After two expensive 'teenage' disasters I took on a 20 year old as a loan, and luckily for me the owner actually gifted her to me. She is fantastic, a good breed, so no real health issues (yet) not a big jumper but has even enjoyed her Autumn Hunting. She's a spoilt princess and is mine for life.

SmartieBean09

Visit site
Without a doubt! The horse in my Avatar was 23 when I bought him and 25 in the photo and the horse in my signature thingy was 18 when I bought her and around 25/26 in those photos! Both were amazing horses! Id never write off an oldie! The horse in my bottom photos was my horse of a lifetime.

Reactions: PSD

SO1

Visit site
Yes but I think there is presumption that older horses are good hackers and that might not be the case, something that is sold as a hacking horse wanting a quieter life due to age might actually not be a good hack. Good hacking horses are hard to find and an ex competition horse looking for a quieter life may not have done much hacking. So I would need to be really confident that the horse was a steady brave hacking horse and nice nature so if retirement comes more quickly than expected then at least you can enjoy grooming and pampering the horse.

I bought my new forest when he was 5 he will be 19 this year hopefully he will live long and prospect but at my age 48 I would not buy another youngster as they may outlive me or I might struggle with vets bills etc when they got older if I was retired.

The Bay

Visit site
If the horse does the job you want it to then absolutely. I bought a 19 year old pc school master for my daughter last year who’d completely lost her nerve due to a nasty fall. His an absolute saint, a complete nanny gets cheekier by the day and already 100s of memories as she gets braver. I wouldn’t change him for something half his age.

spamiad

Visit site
i bought an 18yo welsh section d last February, i had a major accident coming of my youngster in 2019 which resulted in 3 ops and 2 months in hospital with a shattered tibia, i did start riding again the same year on friends elderly cob, taking a walk round the lanes, my leg at this point had limited flexibility and i was extremely unfit and weak from been restricted in a bed or the sofa for months.

to be fair, if could have afforded a 6yo which was sane but had done a bit I would have done, but she came via word of mouth, hadn't been over schooled, done quite a bit of endurance and at the grand price of 1600 quid with tack i bought her, i did think about it for a week and the age did put me off, amongst other things, she wasn't as big as I had liked 15hh and I really didn't want a welsh, but here we are.

bought in Feb. 2020, I could barely trot or canter round the school then, the same year I had gone from that to doing a hunter trial in September, and various cross country schooling sessions and fun rides, we also did an awful lot of hacking.

she did exactly what i bought her for which was to regain confidence and have fun again as there was no pressure to compete or the need to school.

I wont be selling her she has earnt that in the 12 months i have had her and apart from having to re fit another saddle and a couple of minor health issues last year ( choke which resulted in a chest infection) she is sound as a pound, she may have a touch of arthritis, which she is now on supplements for if they work they do if not then ill keep her doing what she is doing until she tells me otherwise, she loves jumping, i try not to school too often although it has been hard through the winter, too dark to hack after work.

I would like to think she could give me another couple of years before she needs to slow down, i will then look to get her a part loaner to plod round the lanes 5 days a week, i will be in a much better financial position in two years and will be able to afford two, but you will never know how long they will carry on for, but if they are at a good price and offer what you need i would go for it

another point, the horse i had before i broke my leg i bought as a 4yo just back id cross lovely mare, but there always wasn't something quite right ( good buck ) by 6 i was having her put to sleep with severe kissing spines and wobblers, this is the third youngster in as many years i have had to retire pts for soundness issues

young horses are no guarantee of soundness either

Amun

Visit site
As per title really. If you were simply looking for a happy hacking horse, something to enjoy a quieter life on, would you buy an older horse? (Late teens/early 20s)

I have a friend who did, she bought her cob at 20 and he’s 29 now and done everything she wanted him for (to gain confidence and hack) and now he’s happily living a retired life. I know they can begin to get health problems at that age but should that be a reason to not consider buying a horse of that age if they fit every other need?

Would you write off a horse in its late teens/early twenties simply because of its age?
We have a lot of horses around this age at RS and they are awesome, I would never guess their age. But personally I wouldn't buy a horse 20+ for emotional reasons, those ten years left is simply too little for me. In theory, I know myself so if I met a lovely old horse I wouldn't probably be able to resist ?

PSD

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.

I have tentatively been looking for a riding horse, my 3 yo is nowhere near ready and I need to get some of my confidence back when in the saddle. So I considered getting something with more miles on the clock just so I can get on and go and not have to worry about baby habits. I’ve seen a few older ones and thought it may be the better option but I’m not sure I could cope with losing one again any time soon (though I know it can happen at any time) as I would be the last home.

However I’ve come across a lovely little cob in her teens who is available, very forward but very safe. I’ve known the horse for a few years, typical mare she can be opinionated and feisty but nothing dangerous. I’m going to speak with the owner, there’s no way I’m going to be confident enough to ride my youngster when she’s ready if I don’t get back on board soon. I haven’t rode for 2 years now

Renvers

Visit site
Yes, I have a couple of late teenage horses that still compete and I would be happy to buy an older one. After all they often have a great deal of life experience and if they are still sound enough to work in older years, maybe they have already proven to be from durable and healthy stock to carry on a while longer?

Age is not the only factor in soundness, many horses retire before they are 10 due to injury or illness, and we can lose them at any age.

I am very aware that my horses will now be here until the end though, I wouldn't sell any of them at that age as they have served me well so they deserve to stay as long as I can afford to give them a relaxing retirement when the time comes.

For your situation, I say go for it, that older mare could still give you years of enjoyment and I speak from experience that the combination of a youngster who needs your focus and the older mare who can give you more fun will be really beneficial.

PSD

Visit site
Yes, I have a couple of late teenage horses that still compete and I would be happy to buy an older one. After all they often have a great deal of life experience and if they are still sound enough to work in older years, maybe they have already proven to be from durable and healthy stock to carry on a while longer?

Age is not the only factor in soundness, many horses retire before they are 10 due to injury or illness, and we can lose them at any age.

I am very aware that my horses will now be here until the end though, I wouldn't sell any of them at that age as they have served me well so they deserve to stay as long as I can afford to give them a relaxing retirement when the time comes.

For your situation, I say go for it, that older mare could still give you years of enjoyment and I speak from experience that the combination of a youngster who needs your focus and the older mare who can give you more fun will be really beneficial.

Thank you! I think I need to do it for myself and the youngster really. I’m more than confident on the ground and the youngster will be going to be professionally broke as I don’t have the time or experience to do it (though I broke my first pony myself, I’m not as young as I used to be!) so I think I’m the meantime, having something that isn’t too “quiet” will benefit me massively. I’ll be able to get some confidence back and prepare for a feisty freshly broken, opinionated fell ?

Lexi 123

Visit site
Nope because you run the risk of buying a horse with medical problem . Plus you could be paying for a horse you can’t ride so in my opinion you’re running the risk of paying for the horses retirement.

planete

Visit site
You run that risk buying a horse of any age.

Yes, you do, but the older the horse the more the odds are stacked against you. Having just seen my horse of 22 years through the terminal stages of Cushings and arthritis, I would not buy an older horse. I have bought a 7 year old hopefully tough native type and hope he will be saleable when I have to give up horses. The relief from the constant worry and endless financial drain is huge.

pixie27

Visit site
Having had to retire a 6yo and a 7yo, I'm pretty sure I'll look for an older horse when I buy next. Being young is absolutely no guarantee that you won't have to retire them early on. Like others have said in this thread (and have heard it often from friends/instructors) - if they've made it to 15 or so and are still sound, they'll probably go on for a while.

One of the best horses I've ever known was 16/17 when I started riding him. Gave me confidence by the bucket-load, while still regularly tanking off with me out hacking and jumping anything he was put in front of. Think he would've scared the life out of me when he was younger, but as an older gentleman, he was perfect. Miss him dearly.

Winters100

Visit site
Yes, if I wanted to just hack I absolutely would, as long as I was prepared to keep the horse into retirement when the time came.

I bought my schoolmistress 2.5 years ago when she was 14. She is now 16 and I have had many less health problems with her than I have with the younger horses. Plus she is as close to bombproof as it is possible to get, knows her job and always reliable. Forward going with me, but put a novice or a small child on her and she becomes an absolute plod. Worth her weight in gold, plus a good few diamonds scattered on top.

Bubble72

New User
Visit site
We bought a 5 year old for my daughter to grow with but had to have it PTS ? by the time it was 7. Have since bought a 16 year old and he’s amazing. She also still rides our mid 30s pony who gets stronger and crazier as the years roll by. So depending on what you want to do with don’t rule out an oldie ?

Luxgood

Visit site
As per title really. If you were simply looking for a happy hacking horse, something to enjoy a quieter life on, would you buy an older horse? (Late teens/early 20s)

I have a friend who did, she bought her cob at 20 and he’s 29 now and done everything she wanted him for (to gain confidence and hack) and now he’s happily living a retired life. I know they can begin to get health problems at that age but should that be a reason to not consider buying a horse of that age if they fit every other need?

Would you write off a horse in its late teens/early twenties simply because of its age?

Hi
I love older horses, I have two one who is 26 and the other 20.
They are in great form.
I feed them very well and have them out during the day and they like to go in at night especially during winter. The 26 yr old does no work occasionally walking with small child, 20 year old looking at him today would be fit for anything.
I would totally recommend an older horse especially if just want to go hacking. They might require a visit from the vet and dentist regularly however a younger horse may have issues too.

scats

Visit site
My JA pony was gifted to me when she was 18, but she was a definite freak of nature. She won her last jumping class at 27 and did a 13 mile sponsored ride in the summer when she was 26- of which we cantered sideways the whole way and amazed everyone there. She was an absolute machine. She lived for her work but when I found her having a seizure one day shortly after that last win at 27, I retired her. The spark went and she went downhill within a couple of months and we had to have her put to sleep (never witnessed another seizure). There’s not many horses I’d say genuinely lived for their work, but she was one.

Saying that, I’ve never seen an older horse quite like that so I can’t really use her as a comparison, but it has made me realise that there’s absolutely no way reason to treat them as old until they tell you it’s time!

Visit site
I was given my mare when she was 23 - I have known her since she was about 14 though. She is now 29! ? I don't think I would buy an older horse wirh a view to ride but I was more than happy to take my girly on and give her a happy retirement.