Would you buy an older horse?

PSD

Visit site
Well today I tried out the “older” mare, shes 13 - not exactly old but she drove a lot when youngster so owner wants her to have a quieter life and I had the best ride I’ve had in a long time. She’s spooky but not dangerous, just likes to have a look and a bit of a tantrum over minor things like umbrellas and plastic bags ? but she’s safe, snaffle mouthed and happy to hack all day long.

So she’s with me on loan now, owner is very busy working long hours and will be training to be a paramedic so won’t have time so it will work well. Hopefully I’ll gain some confidence ready for my youngster.

Surbie

Visit site
She sounds very similar to what I have, though mine's a couple of years older. I've had mine since he was 12. Hope you have a fantastic time with her, and the umbrella/bag reaction dims with practice.

PS any pictures at all?

Reactions: PSD

TRECtastic

Visit site
Interesting to read this thread as I am just debating whether to look for an older pony to carry on with TREC and fun rides, or just stick with my share oldie to plod out
I had to have my TREC superstar horse pts last week at 22 years old, he was still in work until just before
At my age I don't want a youngster so was thinking of looking for a late teenage pony to loan
Don't want to jump into anything to quickly though as head all over the place atm

Squeak

Visit site
Well today I tried out the “older” mare, shes 13 - not exactly old but she drove a lot when youngster so owner wants her to have a quieter life and I had the best ride I’ve had in a long time. She’s spooky but not dangerous, just likes to have a look and a bit of a tantrum over minor things like umbrellas and plastic bags ? but she’s safe, snaffle mouthed and happy to hack all day long.

So she’s with me on loan now, owner is very busy working long hours and will be training to be a paramedic so won’t have time so it will work well. Hopefully I’ll gain some confidence ready for my youngster.

She sounds perfect, hope you have many happy years to come.

Squeak

Visit site
Interesting to read this thread as I am just debating whether to look for an older pony to carry on with TREC and fun rides, or just stick with my share oldie to plod out
I had to have my TREC superstar horse pts last week at 22 years old, he was still in work until just before
At my age I don't want a youngster so was thinking of looking for a late teenage pony to loan
Don't want to jump into anything to quickly though as head all over the place atm

So sorry to hear about your boy, it's so hard when they go.

Annagain

Visit site
I shared my best friend's horse too and it worked brilliantly. We know each other so well that we can work anything out. I still look after him unofficially even though I haven't shared him properly since 2019. He's on box rest at the moment and I do him at one end of the day and his owner the other (as well as turning mine out/ bringing in) He'll always be 'ours'!

PSD

Visit site
Well I didn’t get my brave pants on to hack alone today. The wind makes her really spooky so I decided against it, feeling a bit fed up with myself as I’ve just not got the bottle to do it and I don’t know if it’s me or the horse ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Well I didn’t get my brave pants on to hack alone today. The wind makes her really spooky so I decided against it, feeling a bit fed up with myself as I’ve just not got the bottle to do it and I don’t know if it’s me or the horse ?

It's the combination of horse, rider and weather. You will be much more confident on her when you have ridden her more. Set yourself up to succeed by getting used to each other in good weather.

PSD

Visit site
It's the combination of horse, rider and weather. You will be much more confident on her when you have ridden her more. Set yourself up to succeed by getting used to each other in good weather.

Good plan. I don’t know why I’m so anxious about riding these days, I’m a bag of nerves. I used to get on anything!

Winters100

Visit site

Don't worry about it - probably quite a sensible decision not to take out a new horse who you don't know on a windy day. You have plenty of time to get to know one another, and as you get to know her you should feel less anxious. You are not alone in becoming more cautious over time, I don't know how old you are, but I am late 40s, and I am exactly the same. Up until my late 20s would ride anything, and while I was a teenager it was really a case of the sillier the better, but sadly I am now at an age where I break more easily. Just enjoy your time with her and do things in your own good time - there is no requirement to hack alone until you feel confident to do so. Enjoy!

conniegirl

Visit site
Yes I would and have! I bought Cobbus when he was 17, he is now 20 and still going as strong as ever, he thinks he is 6! He has given me so much confidence and returned the fun and joy to horses for me.
I've had ponies in full ridden work up until 28ish in the past

Yes, you do, but the older the horse the more the odds are stacked against you. Having just seen my horse of 22 years through the terminal stages of Cushings and arthritis, I would not buy an older horse. I have bought a 7 year old hopefully tough native type and hope he will be saleable when I have to give up horses. The relief from the constant worry and endless financial drain is huge.
Yet I have the opposite experience, the recent horses I have bought that were younger have cost me a fortune in vet bills (circa 15k each), one passed away aged 8 and the other was retired aged 7 and is still costing me a fortune.
The ponies I have bought who were 15+ generally have cost me very little in vet bills and brought a lot more joy to horse ownership.