Would you buy unseen from Ireland?

tristar

Visit site
There are a couple of things which probably need clarified here

Tristars post is perhaps not that helpful, given that you are interested because it is CHEAPER
There are excellent establishments in Ireland who treat their horses very well, and they have every possible care - those ones are not cheaper.
There are shoddy establishments in mainland UK who do not give their horse every possible care - those ones are CHEAPER.

1) Would you buy unseen anywhere in UK? I know I wouldn't, but thats because I like to have a connection with the horse, some reason why I like them. I'm no pro, they are my friend / counsellor / companion as well as a competition animal. If you wouldn't buy unseen from say, Aberdeen, then don't do it from Ireland either

2) When it says in an ad that a just turned 4yo has 'been hunted' its unlikely that it did a whole season. It might have been taken out for a couple of days as that is seen as part of their education over here, getting them going forward in a group and learning to scramble over the odd drain or whatever. It doesn't equate to a full season with the Quorn over enormous hedges. Some more old fashioned horse people will back a horse and take it out hunting within 6-8 weeks, it is not necessarily a problem.

3) The 'cheap' horses in Ireland can still be cheap for a reason. Yes you'll probably get a better price on a rough looking Connie than one that has been spotted and imported and polished in England, but your average safe honest riding horse or potential eventer as a 4yo is unlikely to be much less without a reason for that. There is a misconception that there are a load of farmers breeding top ISH's and not knowing what they have - but the reality is that they do know, and the top producers know them and take the cream of the crop (thats how Cooley and Fernhill make their ££) - whats left can still be a nice horse but don't be fooled that the seller doesn't have a clue about what they have and that you'll get a bargain.

4) You still need to be sensible and engage your own vet, exactly as you would elsewhere. You can get recommendations on here, or elsewhere. There are good vets all over Ireland, not just in Kildare (!) but equally, just like England, there are chancy ones who have an arrangement with the seller. It is common sense.
i don`t think you read my post !

Michen

Visit site
And just to expand on that - the last (attempted) Irish purchase for me (higher value young sporthorses)

Full Xrays
Top Irish Vet - Ah to be sure, those xrays are just grand
Our top UK vet - Hmmm, there is this & that, but clinical significance not clear, I think they are okay but see what insurance says
Insurance - we are excluding hocks and stifles based on those xrays

Ha, yes. I particularly chuckled at Boggle passing a 5 stage vet, with apparently excellent feet, and arriving with a whopping great big hole in his hoof that must have mysteriously occurred on the boat...

Nettiefluff

Visit site
Yes I did, but I wouldn't do it again. I bought a rising 5 year old Connemara mare, only saw videos. She wasn't any cheaper than horses in the UK. Nice horse, green, not had much schooling but had been jumped. Dealer had had her for about 6 months. She was never very forward going, fast forward two years, she was diagnosed with sacroiliac dysfunction. We don't know what caused it, and the dealer probably wasn't aware, maybe just thought she was stubborn. So now she can only be hacked, which is not what I bought her for. But then that could've happened in this country, she was 5 stage vetted and it wasn't picked up. If I had gone over and tried her, I probably would still have bought her.

ihatework

Visit site
Ha, yes. I particularly chuckled at Boggle passing a 5 stage vet, with apparently excellent feet, and arriving with a whopping great big hole in his hoof that must have mysteriously occurred on the boat...

It’s quite miraculous what can happen on a boat isn’t it!
IME an Irish vetting is definitely more lenient on faults. I’m not saying that’s wrong as I think in the UK we are sometimes to paranoid, but it is something to be aware of.

SK123

Visit site
Living in Ireland I can see why this assumption would pop up however not all horses are drilled into the ground at a young age... I know a few who would have their 3-year-olds going a full day hunting after 2 weeks being ridden and it always backfires on them!!! However, there are plenty of people who look down on this and I know myself we never take horses hunting before they are 5 and never jump them much before then either! There are plenty of people who would be of the same mindset as me and the horses would be produced slowly and carefully. As regards buying unseen...i wouldn't, BUT I definitely would travel over, do your research and have a few breeders or producers lined up to visit! If you need any recommendations, I would be happy to help :) Best of luck!

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Don't ask me why.. but I really like the look of this gelding..
https://www.donedeal.co.uk/horses-for-sale/big-tom-the-gentle-giant/21622929

I would buy unseen IF I could afford to 'throw away' that money and start again should I need to. It wouldn't be my preference, but it would depend what your attitude to risk is I suppose...

Wonder what price hes up for, wow hes a big chap.. Could be a good gamble for someone! Far to big for me, I'd look like a pea on him, ha!

tristar

Visit site
Jesus - some of these comments are ridiculously sweeping & unbelievably bigoted 😡

I have owned & ridden horses in both countries for many years & in my experience there are good bad & indifferent vets in both.

Ditto horse welfare issues.
peoples experience can be very different! op is looking for points of view?

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Its a BIG FAT NO from me.
Its hard enough buying one that you've ridden twice in the assumption you know what youre buying - why anybody does it is beyond me!
PLUS when you buy from Ireland they have that god awful transport journey which it is my belief causes no end of issues for us to pick up the other end.
If you belong to the Dodgy Dealers group on facebook its always the "bought unseen" that generally end up with the issues - now I wonder why that could be !?!?

tristar

Visit site
I think you have deliberately missed my "point" 🙄
don`t really get `your point`` [ eyes heavenwards] to be honest as i am speaking from personal experience, its as i find and only an opinion

are there any unqualified, formally untrained farriers doing horses feet in england? are there? for example?

tristar

Visit site
I'm sure there are unqualified people shoeing their own horses in England
On dodgy yards where you buy cheap, chancy horses, possibly unseen and not well broken

Just like there are in Ireland, on the same type of yard.
again you did not read my post,i said FARRIERS

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I would never buy unseen, not because there may be something wrong with the horse but I have horses for leisure & they become part of my family. We need to meet them, spend time with them & get to know them a little then we can make a decision. We keep our horses & don't sell them you see so we can have them for many years!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm sure there are unqualified people shoeing their own horses in England
On dodgy yards where you buy cheap, chancy horses, possibly unseen and not well broken

Just like there are in Ireland, on the same type of yard.
yep I know someone who is not trained and that shoes his own horses in England.
Not very well.
Also has a load of bin end horses.

druid

Visit site
I’m not saying that’s wrong as I think in the UK we are sometimes to paranoid, but it is something to be aware of.

Depends who vets it - I would send xrays to Marcus Swail if not have him vet the horse for anything in Ireland. If it's good enough for Olympic level buyers....

TPO

Visit site
I've been on livery with someone who's untrained/qualified partner shod her horse. YO said she'd put folk off the yard if they reported it... so yeah it happens and people cover for it regardless of animal welfare (said shoeing was a really bad job (very underrun heels, long toes and HPA horrendous. Horse also lame).