Would you feel offended if ...

Gerilew

Visit site
...someone asked you how long you were going to carry on riding ?

A work colleague today asked me how long I anticipated carrying on with horses so I replied they would be for life - no she said I mean riding them?!?!?! I'm 52 yrs old and hadn't really thought about it but felt quite offended that she insinuated that I was too old 🤦‍♀️

Abacus

Visit site
Personally I might be a touch offended as I don’t think I look old or decrepit yet (I’m 45). But I think it is a wonder of horse riding and sport that we can go on so long, and that even at the highest professional levels you find competitors in their 60s/70s. Not many sports can say the same and probably not many people realise it.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I wouldn’t be offended. I would relate it to something they could understand perhaps golf.
I am in my early 70’s.
About 12 years ago a young ( early 20’s ? ) said to me
May I ask how old you are?
I told her
She said
I hope I can ride like you when I’m as old as you.
I took the comment in the manner intended.
She was ‘horsey’ but other people don’t understand and innocently ask when you’re going to stop riding.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I wouldn't be offended at all! I expect they were just curious. I am similar to splashgirl45, until my accident a couple of years back at nearly 72 (not riding I hastily add, just leading) my husband and sons were always asking the same question. As I had just bought my new heart horse that I anticipated would still be carrying me up to and past my 80s it was never going to happen. I had figured I would probably just drop dead and tumble off at some point, or maybe just quietly pass on down the yard one day. I very nearly unintentionally did the latter but fortunately still here and intend to get back on again at some point when all my broken bits are fixed.☺

Kunoichi73

Visit site
I'd probably laugh! I'm late 40s and started riding, again after a long break, just before COVID. Occasionally, when I get the chance, I've started to do mad horsey things like jousting and horse archery. My mum thinks I'm nuts and, I think, is secretly hoping I might grow up at some point - she's probably out of luck with this idea! 😁

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
...someone asked you how long you were going to carry on riding ?

A work colleague today asked me how long I anticipated carrying on with horses so I replied they would be for life - no she said I mean riding them?!?!?! I'm 52 yrs old and hadn't really thought about it but felt quite offended that she insinuated that I was too old 🤦‍♀️

I'm 54 and started riding regularly only about thirteen years ago.

Nobody has ever asked me when I'm going to give up.

But if anybody ever asks me, I will probably say "when I'm as sad and broken as you seem to be".

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am late 50s and my mother still thinks it's a phase I will grow out of.....

I would show your colleague this picture and say this is what you are aiming for. I certainly am!!

View attachment 107808

I often ask myself the same thing, and have 'downgraded' the sort of horse I ride. BH is a bit bigger and a slightly more sporty type, but Rigs as very similar in size and appearance to Emma, above.

I saw a wonderful post on a well known rider's FB page the other day. She is older, and in one photo, posing indoors for an anniversary, she looked... old. Like someone sweet but maybe with nothing much to do. Like someone I would give my seat up for. Like someone I would give more time at the checkout to, someone I would be gracious to if she dithered. Oh, how appearances can be deceiving because...

A few scant posts away, on her FB feed, there she is, astride her fine horse. Passage, changes, looking strong, straight, calm, focused, skilled, professional, knowledgeable. An athlete. Someone I wish I could ride half as well as. A way down the line, but not long ago, there she is jumping, flying round the arena, totally in balance and control of a fine, athletic horse.

And I thought, THAT is who I want to be! Not that I will be doing passage or changes on BH, but he is a fine looking beast and we look just grand riding out together. Or, maybe we will, who knows, I am still learning after all.

I will do getting old, do people making snap judgements on me, do the wrinkles etc, as long as I can then escape and dance with my horse. Be that in an arena, out hacking or galloping and jumping. It gives you access to athleticism, a whole new world where you are at one and equal.

I just googled the oldest Olympic rider - 72.

Anyway, it's like asking when will Dick Van Dyke stop singing.

But would I be offended? No! It is just a question. Someone appreciating the risks, or the effort, or the expense, or the emotional involvement, or all of the above.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
People seem to have bought the idea that there is something irresponsible about an older person doing something "dangerous".
I get this a lot because I often travel on public transport to a local yard & I can't be bothered changing when I get there.
I usually just smile and nod but if an answer is required I point out that horse riding is much less dangerous than the alternative. If it was classed as a sport, sitting down watching daytime tv would be at the top of the list for pass times likely to kill you.