Would you get your horse stuffed?

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Does anyone remember the fairy story where a girl has a talking horse and someone cuts the horse's head off and it is mounted an a wall outside (maybe over a gateway or archway?) only the horse still talks to her. She or someone else confesses things to a stovepipe (seriously what a mad story) and the horse then sorts things out despite only being a head and a bit of neck at this point.

Had you eaten some strange tasting mushrooms a little while before ?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
This story has actually really upset me, whereas no I don't think I'd ever want one of mine stuffed, the thought of seeing my beloved gingerface whole and complete again has made me sob and sob. As it is she's chilling in the kitchen with a couple of my dogs while I try and work out what in earth to do with them all ?

Mrs B

Visit site
Not unless I needed a new saddle rack.

Seriously, I wouldn't see the point as for me, once the light in their eyes has gone, so has their soul from their body.

I don't believe in much but I do believe that bit of them, their very essence will stay with me until it's time for me to go too, then we'll all leave together.

Littlebear

Visit site
I hate the thought of it, a girl I was stabled with talked about having just the head and neck of hers done, went and got quotes etc and it was a fortune, not that she minded, I felt it was disrespectful to the animal if I am honest. Let them rest in peace.

MissTyc

Visit site
I have a random stuffed Jack Russel in the conservatory. Must be over 30 years since the dog died. I bought it on Ebay for a project in 2005, and then he stayed ... I know it's weird!!

I don't think I could have any of my horses stuffed,but if I did I'd want to sit on them and cry.

My friend turned her dead cat into a cushion. I thought it was really weird and creepy. She had the pelt tanned (I think that's the term) and then sewed it into one side of a cushion. NOPE!!!

Silver Clouds

Visit site
I find taxidermy, skeletons, etc fascinating (either antique or ethically sourced, not the modern hunted big game stuff popular in the US), and have a few skulls and a mouse skeleton (I found it intact when I moved into a new tackroom and cleaned it up). I wouldn't, however, want my own horses stuffed as I would find it a bit weird having known them, and would worry it wouldn't be quite right and therefore wouldn't actually seem like them, which I would find a bit upsetting. I also wouldn't want to see them with glass eyes, and as others have said their character would be completely gone. I don't actually keep the ashes when I have a horse PTS either as I always worry that I might end up with those of another animal entirely- or a bit of my horse missing- but when I can afford my own land I will bury future horses when they die.

I don't have an issue with anyone else stuffing their pets though, and I can weirdly see the appeal of a stuffed rocking horse (as someone said earlier then you have no 'last ride'). On the other hand I absolutely despise the idea of hunting purely to stuff something, and think it's appalling that supposedly educated people from developed countries shoot endangered animals in countries such as Africa just for a trophy. If you look at American taxidermy websites they openly share ways to get around CITES, and state that they can get 'any' species imported into the country (the US) for you.

SEL

Visit site
Oddly I don't find myself yucked out by this. Wouldn't keep in the house but if a museum wanted a stuffed horse then maybe. Mine all have expressive eyes though and you'd lose that.

The Appy was bred for her meat and her skin and i regularly threaten her with being turned into a rug. She'd be a pretty rug ??

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Years ago a friend decided to secretly dig up his girlfriend’s dearly loved, recently buried dog (they lived together) and have it stuffed. One day months later when she returned from work Brian said go in the living room there’s a surprise for you so she did - and found her beloved dead dog sitting upright by the fire looking at her. It seriously unhinged her and ended their relationship. Brian never could quite grasp he’d done anything wrong.

PSD

Visit site
Absolutely not. It’s hard enough looking at her box in my bedroom, a pony moved onto my yard recently that is the image of my girl who I lost last year and I almost dropped to the floor when I saw her.

Each to their own though.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Years ago a friend decided to secretly dig up his girlfriend’s dearly loved, recently buried dog (they lived together) and have it stuffed. One day months later when she returned from work Brian said go in the living room there’s a surprise for you so she did - and found her beloved dead dog sitting upright by the fire looking at her. It seriously unhinged her and ended their relationship. Brian never could quite grasp he’d done anything wrong.

That's is both an incredibly sweet and extremely creepy thing to do. I guess Brian's heart was in the right place but pretty sure I'd have reacted the way same as his girlfriend ?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Sorry if there is already a thread on this (I couldn't see one!) but I was watching Luisa Zissman's instragram stories last night and she unveiled her beautiful horse that she had stuffed when it was sadly PTS from melanomas. I have to admit I was quite choked up watching the video as it must be so upsetting to see your horse that you lost looking so life like again. They had done a lovely job but I dread to think how much it would have cost! I thought it would be an interesting conversation topic - would you get your horse stuffed (if you could afford it!)?

I never saw it on Instagram not will I as I cannot be bothered with these sites, Instagram, twitter, Tic Tok. Waste of my time, to busy with my life to be stalked by others and followed.

Stuffing my pet (s)
GRoossest of gross

Cannot think of anything more degrading for my pet than have it stuffed, I give them dignity. Cannot think of anymore horrific than looking at my pet stuffed. No chance.................................

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
In answer to the op question, no I wouldn't.

My ex had his car stuffed, which I struggled to get my head around at the time, but once it was done it actually wasn't as creepy having it in the house as I thought it would be.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site

Reading the longer synopsis in the link triggered my memory, I've read that story ages ago.
But that heroine is so feeble, and fragile, I just kept wanting to tell her to get a grip. And that was before she let that other female ride off on her talking horse, pretending to be her. I lost interest in her as a heroine after that, and only continued reading to get to the end.
I can only presume I reacted the same way when I read it ages ago.

Anyhow, hypothetically speaking, I'm not completely against the idea of having my dogs, and cats taxidermied, if they e.g. could either lie curled up in a sleeping position, or sit in a shady corner on a windowsill, looking out the window. That way I could go, and give them the occasional pat.
But at the same time, I have 3 main reasons for why I can't imagine doing it. First because it would leave less room for new pets, secondly because the potential risk for that a new puppy might gnaw a hole in one of the oldies, and lastly, what happens with them when I die?
Why would my 2 nephews + 1 niece want to inherit xx number of taxidermied pets, and what would they do with them?