Would you have this horse on your livery yard?!

PercyMum

Visit site
I have a complete distaste for fence runners & field trashers, therefore I'm very glad you have him and not me! :D

Oh, believe me, it used to send me skyward with his antics of the level of destruction of my carefully rolled, tithed and generally sweated over paddocks!! This year he is getting the top paddock to himself and he can eat what grass grows, hurtle about in it and generally do what he likes but once its gone, its gone. The nice paddock will be for the 2 that appreciate it and behave in an altogether more equine fashion!!!

windand rain

Visit site
I would have him on my yard but he would probably hate it so you wouldnt leave him here. We have no routine no stables and no haylage on the floor or off it hay is served liberaly scattered about the track system and they have to work for every mouthful of grass they get

Sparemare

Visit site
We've had horses here that need individual turnout, and some who need 24/7. That's fine. A horse who gallops round and sets the others off is hard to accommodate because it changes the dynamic of the herd, which is invariably settled and relaxed.

PercyMum

Visit site
We've had horses here that need individual turnout, and some who need 24/7. That's fine. A horse who gallops round and sets the others off is hard to accommodate because it changes the dynamic of the herd, which is invariably settled and relaxed.

Weirdly, his antics have rarely, if ever, set off other horses. I put this down to even other horses appreciating what a Grade A idiot he is and ignoring him... Even weirder about this horse, he is totally fine to handle, load or do anything with. To hack or compete, he is totally fine. Sometimes a bit hot if he hasn't been out in a while but nothing that would scream 'Nutter!!'. Its like he lacks any kind of 'normal' equine behaviour that makes him normal or easy to manage in a yard environment.

Last edited:

Mongoose11

Visit site
Can I just ask what people think 'Hard' work is then without being racing/hunting/polo? I don't for one moment think my lad is in hard work at all, as I would only deem hunting or pretty high level competition 'hard' work. But when I say 'fast hack' I mean pretty much all cantering/galloping/trotting/popping logs etc, and my schooling sessions are mostly canter, jumping, polework and lateral work and rarely are less than an hour? I did actually think that was quite a lot of work, especially when I see what most other people are up to. But I'm now thinking he should be doing more - if so, what would people suggest please?

You don't have to have him doing more at all but what you described certainly ain't hard work. It would still be considered medium at best.

You could try longer hacks, interval work? With his injury he doesn't sound quite suitable for 'hard' work and there is no guarantee it would change his behaviour anyway.

Shavings

Visit site
WOW!

i always though my Ex racer gelding was high maintenance, but i take it back! he is a walk in the park compared to your boy!!

hats off to you for taking him on and working with him though all this!

post people would give in!

PercyMum

Visit site
I would have him on my yard but he would probably hate it so you wouldnt leave him here. We have no routine no stables and no haylage on the floor or off it hay is served liberaly scattered about the track system and they have to work for every mouthful of grass they get

I now just have the image of the idiot lying on his back, legs in the air, wailing about the TORTURE of being treated like a REAL horse...

You don't have to have him doing more at all but what you described certainly ain't hard work. It would still be considered medium at best.

You could try longer hacks, interval work? With his injury he doesn't sound quite suitable for 'hard' work and there is no guarantee it would change his behaviour anyway.

I don't think its hard work either, and as you say, not sure hard work would change his behaviour except to make him fitter and possibly even more prattish...

WOW!

i always though my Ex racer gelding was high maintenance, but i take it back! he is a walk in the park compared to your boy!!

hats off to you for taking him on and working with him though all this!

post people would give in!

I'll be honest, I have at many points thought about sending him back. But then what would happen to him? I'm lucky in that I can accommodate his behaviour; what if someone ended up with him who couldn't and he injured someone else's horse? I'd feel awful. And despite it all, I kinda like him...

rachk89

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about him being alone and not liking it. Some horses do prefer to be alone, seen plenty of them. They just either don't interact well or even like other horses. Although have you tried other animals with him like goats or donkeys? I imagine he would react the same though.

Damnation

Visit site
Never mind a yard taking him, I couldn't cope with your horse OP :eek:

Mine has her quirks but I could not cope mentally with that level of quirk!

I'd be another who would chuck him out whilst waving "see ya next spring!!!"

(I don't mean to cause offence BTW, your horse is incredibly lucky to have you!)

doodle

Visit site
It's interesting he is an ex racer and his social skills. I really think they miss out of learning how to interact with other horses. Mine was an ex racer and in individual turnout. He liked being with another horse but would play with and annoy the other horse. They would give him all the signals that they were getting annoyed and to back off. He either didn't see this or just ignored it. Result would be other horse lasting out and him getting injured. I did persevere but he never worked it out and so would have horses all round but not with him.

Peggs

Visit site
His interaction with other horses sounds a lot like one of mine. He loves to wind the others up and whenever with another horse he undoubtedly comes in with all manner of cuts and bruises.

If he's on the yard you can almost feel the utter dislike the other horses have for him and, although he can rub me up the wrong way to a whole new level I have never known with his antics I actually find myself warming to him for being such a weirdo, I end up feeling sorry for him.

Be interesting to know if your guy also has two swirls on his head? My guy does and it seems to go with the 'complicated character' label the double swirlers have been given!

Ouch05

Visit site
Oh I have a Darley ex racers. But I have to say he is a dream to own. Yes has the odd TB moment but can be left in or out with or with company. Easy to feed etc.

my only issue is feeding keeping weight on with enough energy to do the amount of work we do which is a lot. but having to manage ulcers and fizzyness.

I get why you do it. the reward from them is just amazing.

Auslander

Visit site
Be interesting to know if your guy also has two swirls on his head? My guy does and it seems to go with the 'complicated character' label the double swirlers have been given!

They aren't swirls. They're the marks where horns have been.

OP - I have a bunch of raving lunatics here - he'd fit right in!! If they're not trying to kill each other, they're trying to bonk each other, and if they're friends one day, they're sworn enemies the next. If they're grazing peacefully all day, they are guaranteed to be galloping round the field, screaming hysterically at 1am FOR NO BLOODY REASON AT ALL. I have learned through bitter, bitter experience, to ignore the bunch of barstewards (other than the 1am galloping) and let them sort themselves out. It took one of them about 8 months to drop the diva crap, but even she is mostly normal nowadays (she's actually one of my favourites now - don't tell the others!0

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's interesting he is an ex racer and his social skills. I really think they miss out of learning how to interact with other horses. Mine was an ex racer and in individual turnout. He liked being with another horse but would play with and annoy the other horse. They would give him all the signals that they were getting annoyed and to back off. He either didn't see this or just ignored it. Result would be other horse lasting out and him getting injured. I did persevere but he never worked it out and so would have horses all round but not with him.

I do think it's possibly more common in racers. But I had one the same, no rug/horse safe around him, even his full brother. He was an English Hanoverian cross, lived out in a herd feral until three when I bought him. He was always the same no matter who you tried to mix him with, they ended up hurt. I kept iron on carpet tape for the daily rug mending.

OP your horse is a lucky boy to have you!

Mule

Visit site
I kind of like horses like this. At least he has a personality. The quirkier, the more amusing, in my book although I'm not a YO

Last edited:

Beausmate

Visit site
I'd have him, but he wouldn't like it! My idiot ex-hurdler was told in no uncertain terms, that I was having none of his nonsense and he was either to toughen up or die. He's still here...

He fights the fellas and charms the girlies, is a complete pillock about the most ordinary things, didn't grow a proper winter coat and stood around looking pathetic because it was a bit damp. Couldn't possibly stand still, couldn't deal with mud, the hose was to be avoided at all costs, fell over standing still (yep, really), hay has to be dragged through the bed and mixed in with everything so it is rendered inedible - but cannot be served in a haynet, can't live out, can't live in and lots of minor irritations on top.

Plus he is huge, and accident prone.

These days he is a horse. He grows a coat and prefers to stay out, actually eats his feed instead of burying it and no longer drags hay around, still likes the ladies, but isn't such a git to the boys. He is a lot less wimpy too and can even stay by himself in the field without making an enormous mess and coming in with three fat legs.

So, OP, it is possible to have a normal horse. I have, and it has only taken twelve years! :D

skint1

Visit site
Well, I am only a lowly livery, I probably wouldn't want him in the field with my horse if he was going to pick on him as my horse is a big girls blouse and I wouldn't want him traumatised or his rugs ruined but otherwise if my YO/YM could provide facilities for you both that suited I'd have no trouble having you on the yard, we're all a bit barmy in our own way aren't we?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No, I wouldn't have him here. We only have our own mares:D

Seriously, I think you deserve a medal for trying to accommodate his needs. It does seem a shame that he wasn't taught equine social skills as a youngster.

SEL

Visit site
My YO has a lot of ex-racers. Around November their shoes come off, a rug goes on and they get chucked into a big herd to fend for themselves. Diva behaviour vanishes pretty quickly - mainly because they are virtually ignored until March!

And if any of them do have plans for world domination a 22yo Welsh section C who thinks he is a stallion will soon sort them out.

Equi

Visit site
He'd be turfed out on the moors for a year if he was mine. That would soon get any diva out of him lol I can't stand diva horses at all.

PercyMum

Visit site
Haha, some great replies to this and my horses knobbishness!! I'm sure if I was brave enough/rich enough/had more land, I'd chuck him out, harden my heart and let him get on with it but I'm not! And last night he came in and stuck his head inside my coat and wanted a big cuddle because he'd got wet and was all upset about it. He's a big plonker, a total PITA but I do love him which is why I put up with him...

...and the epic wail of horror he let rip this morning when he realised that I was actually going to leave him in the turnout IN THE RAIN!!! (I'm not always a total pushover ;))

Caol Ila

Visit site
No, but that's because I've already got a neurotic fence-walker who doesn't play nice with others, and that's enough for a lifetime.

In fairness, she doesn't fence-walk in the summer when the grass is good and she accepts that bring in time is when the yard says it is. In the winter when the grass sucks and the weather sucks more, she wants in before 3pm (bring in time is 4), and lodges her protest by marching up and down the fenceline. On days I can be there (horse is on full livery because I can't be there seven days a week), I catch her before pacing-o-clock, but the YOs have been in a seven-year long cold war with her about this, hoping she will one day change her tune. I know she won't and proving some kind of point to her about it isn't worth the risk of injury, lost shoes, and it's hard enough to keep weight on her in the winter when she doesn't pace.

Drives me nuts, but at 23 years old, she is what she is. However, she is lucky that she has a divine temperament to handle and ride. Gentle, willing, straightforward, forgiving of rider ineptitude. If she were quirky and difficult to ride, I don't think I could put up with the turnout BS.

And she isn't an ex-racer, but a TB-Shire cross from Colorado, which must be why she has a view of the weather here.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
This might sound obvious, but is he rugged up real well if out in a bit of rain or wind? One of mine HATES it, but he is in a very heavy full neck rug and will stay out all day!

PercyMum

Visit site
This might sound obvious, but is he rugged up real well if out in a bit of rain or wind? One of mine HATES it, but he is in a very heavy full neck rug and will stay out all day!

Rather shamefully, he wears 400g T/O with neck. Anything less and he'll unleash the wall of death as he gets cold.

Sigh.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I'd turn him out without a rug and say 'see you in the Spring' :eek3::lol::devilish:

This made me spit my tea out, lol :)

OP I havent read all the replies but you are very brave posting this so hats off to you. Its been a bit of light reading during a manic day at work so thank you :)

Would I have him on my yard? ... I would probably have his hide on my lounge floor if its shiny like you say but no, I would have probably killed him by now, lol :)

PercyMum

Visit site
OP I havent read all the replies but you are very brave posting this so hats off to you. Its been a bit of light reading during a manic day at work so thank you :)

Would I have him on my yard? ... I would probably have his hide on my lounge floor if its shiny like you say but no, I would have probably killed him by now, lol :)

Haha, I'm glad everyone is taking it in the vein in which it was meant - the ridiculous lengths that I am having to go to keep my horse happy, my bank balance hovering in the red rather than plummeting into it and that if there are others like the Knobber out there on Livery Yards, those YO's are saints!!

And don't get me wrong, I LOATHE diva horses and have no idea why I keep him around other than I love him. Although your idea about putting him on the lounge floor is rather appealing - he is the most beautiful dapple grey colour!!

nikkimariet

Visit site
To be honest... I would be inclined to give him a trial also.

You've said he's good to handle and ride? He may be a quirky prat in his mannerisms but as long as his favourite thing remains pulling up the mats and not hurting people... I would give it a go.

I do sympathise.

I hate pandering to horses, I can't stand hysterical creatures. But... I appear to have one! Fig can't be left out alone, under any circumstance. He's fine if he's left in on his own tho.

He's so fussy with feed he requires a million buckets and a lot of patience. He digs up his stable if stressed and digs up his field regardless. Fence walks a lot. Super head shy to the point he nearly flips himself over if you move too quick (very very reactive to the voice, so don't have an angry phonecall or convo around him!).

But he's super sweet to handle to the point he doesn't even need a headcollar. You can leave his door open and he would never think to do a runner. He's very gentle around people and is horrified if he thinks he's hurt you.

He's the low man on the totem pole so a bit hysterical about other horses but is great to tie up and load and awesome to ride. He's very happy but he loves his routine, always has done.

Individual TO is an absolute must. There will be a yard to suit yours.

rextherobber

Visit site
Just for a bit of fun, I thought I'd ask if any YO's out there would have thrown my horse off their yard, just because I was looking at him this morning and thinking what a total and utter high maintenance, diva-esque moron he is!! I won't be offended, more I just thought I would share the ridiculousness of what we have to go through with him to keep him happy and injury-free. He was successful racehorse who spent most of his life in Dubai so I don't know if that's why he is the way he is...

- Can't be turned out with others AT ALL. Have tried with numerous horses and he either beats them up, won't leave them alone and nags them round the field all day, destroys their rugs or tries to mount them. Alot.
- Can't have an unbroken run of turnout or he gallops up and down doing power slides, destroying the field and/or twanging tendons in his hinds. Now has to have slaloms built in his field so he can't get up enough speed to inflict self-injury. Does this whether by himself, in with others, has company over the fence or not.
- If you keep him in a regular routine, he throws his toys out the pram if that routine is not EXACTLY adhered to and when he does, he has in the past killed chickens by stamping on them in a tantrum (field has now had to be chicken-proofed, and we try and vary his daily routine slightly)
- He won't eat hay, and will only eat haylage if it hasn't been on the floor so he has to have a feeder in the field with a haynet tied into it because if you just put the haylage into it, he pulls it out, throws it on the floor, rolls in it and then won't eat it then sets about destroying his turnout in a tantrum. Same with feed - must be fed from a chest-high feeder or in a Fort Knox style tyre feed holder that is bolted to a tree.
- Will only eat grass for an hour, then will only eat haylage. Failure to provide haylage results in aforementioned tantrum.
- Digs up the rubber mats in his stable - its a super fun game apparently. These have now all been bolted to the floor but this morning I caught him trying to pull one up with his teeth.
- Rain/Wind/weather in general causes hysteria which means one MUST be put in one's stable IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do so results in charging around and refusing to be caught and behaving like a feral 2 year old until you have learnt your lesson (I have to say, I don't give in on this and ignore him until he behaves in a civilized manner. This has, in the past, taken up to 3 hours...)

He is great to ride and handle, if not a bit quirky, and has regular ridden work with variety (4-6 times a week, although more on the 4 side atm as I'm 9 months pregnant). I do worry I mollycoddle his behaviour but I got fed up of the vets bills, weight loss and histrionics if I didn't capitulate to at least some of his demands!! I was just thinking its so lucky that he lives at home as I just could not expect a yard to put up with him and if I were a YO, I wouldn't want to! By comparison, the other 2 live out or in, eat what's put in front of them, plod round their field quite happily in all weathers and behave like erm, a horse...

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has high-maintenance idiots that they think 'Thank Christ he lives at home!!'.

Could you explain a bit more about the slalom field system? Sounds exactly what I need..

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Just for a bit of fun, I thought I'd ask if any YO's out there would have thrown my horse off their yard, just because I was looking at him this morning and thinking what a total and utter high maintenance, diva-esque moron he is!! I won't be offended, more I just thought I would share the ridiculousness of what we have to go through with him to keep him happy and injury-free. He was successful racehorse who spent most of his life in Dubai so I don't know if that's why he is the way he is...

- Can't be turned out with others AT ALL. Have tried with numerous horses and he either beats them up, won't leave them alone and nags them round the field all day, destroys their rugs or tries to mount them. Alot.
- Can't have an unbroken run of turnout or he gallops up and down doing power slides, destroying the field and/or twanging tendons in his hinds. Now has to have slaloms built in his field so he can't get up enough speed to inflict self-injury. Does this whether by himself, in with others, has company over the fence or not.
- If you keep him in a regular routine, he throws his toys out the pram if that routine is not EXACTLY adhered to and when he does, he has in the past killed chickens by stamping on them in a tantrum (field has now had to be chicken-proofed, and we try and vary his daily routine slightly)
- He won't eat hay, and will only eat haylage if it hasn't been on the floor so he has to have a feeder in the field with a haynet tied into it because if you just put the haylage into it, he pulls it out, throws it on the floor, rolls in it and then won't eat it then sets about destroying his turnout in a tantrum. Same with feed - must be fed from a chest-high feeder or in a Fort Knox style tyre feed holder that is bolted to a tree.
- Will only eat grass for an hour, then will only eat haylage. Failure to provide haylage results in aforementioned tantrum.
- Digs up the rubber mats in his stable - its a super fun game apparently. These have now all been bolted to the floor but this morning I caught him trying to pull one up with his teeth.
- Rain/Wind/weather in general causes hysteria which means one MUST be put in one's stable IMMEDIATELY. Failure to do so results in charging around and refusing to be caught and behaving like a feral 2 year old until you have learnt your lesson (I have to say, I don't give in on this and ignore him until he behaves in a civilized manner. This has, in the past, taken up to 3 hours...)

He is great to ride and handle, if not a bit quirky, and has regular ridden work with variety (4-6 times a week, although more on the 4 side atm as I'm 9 months pregnant). I do worry I mollycoddle his behaviour but I got fed up of the vets bills, weight loss and histrionics if I didn't capitulate to at least some of his demands!! I was just thinking its so lucky that he lives at home as I just could not expect a yard to put up with him and if I were a YO, I wouldn't want to! By comparison, the other 2 live out or in, eat what's put in front of them, plod round their field quite happily in all weathers and behave like erm, a horse...

Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has high-maintenance idiots that they think 'Thank Christ he lives at home!!'.

would not have him at mine as the rug ripping would upset the other owners and no individual turnout here