Would you leave? Help!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
With regard just to the YO not being happy with a "stranger" coming on the yard, I can quite understand this, having had a friend livery with us in the past, who then felt it acceptable to bring both people we knew and those we didn't, onto our yard. I was not happy about people I don't know coming onto the yard (possibly "casing" the joint) and the person I did know, I didn't want poking around my yard, I certainly didn't want her "cleaning" the shavings fork by hitting on the door top of a stable the livery did not use, marking the door and breaking the fork! I wasn't rude to the livery about it, but was very glad when the arrangement came to an end and we will never have another livery here!

Gosh you must have some odd liveries/friend, I can't imagine any of our small yard having friends like that! I'd be a bit stuck if I couldn't have people on the yard as I live here too :p. and I think my YO would know that any friend of mine is not going to be casing the joint! I can't imagine being somewhere I wasn't allowed to introduce my pony to which ever friend I liked to.

Deltic Blue

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your replies, I have taken them all on board and can see where there is fault on my side too. But like a lot of others have said, it is no excuse for rudeness, when I am a paying client.

My horse isn't dangerous, she has never reared on me in her life, it was a build up of frustration from the situation. However I am not going to sit here and say she'll never do it again, as horses aren't machines, like you all know.
I just wouldn't class her as dangerous at all, she is a spirited mare who has had almost 3 months off work. Being quite sensitive horse anyway when she's in full work, I can't say she'll be a dobbin coming back into work, which the rider is fully aware of. Walking out on the road, she is calm as anything, but I didn't want to try that on my own, hence why I got the rider in to bring her back into work for me.
I am not scared of my own horse, I am just more aware of how she could behave and I'm not as brave as some other people might be.

The situation has hopefully been resolved now, I have a place at my old yard and I will be moving ASAP :)

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would have asked you to leave by now, you sound like too much hard work and your horse is a liability. I don't think they YO should be rude but I can see where she is coming from. Best of luck with the move and the rehab :)

RunToEarth

Visit site
I've been thinking about this while I was in the bath and, speaking as a YO of many years, it sounds to me like yours is looking at a tricky horse which is being brought back into work by an owner who is not confident in handling and riding it, and then seeing the owner bringing another rider onto the yard to ride the horse which by your own admission is likely to kick another and has shown itself to be dangerous (sorry, but any horse which rears is dangerous, however unflappable the rider may be) and to be perfectly honest I'm not surprised she doesn't want you riding around the yard or putting another rider at risk, and I'm not surprised she is wanting to check your insurance because if something goes wrong she doesn't want to find herself liable for it. And as for her calling your mare "it", do a search on here because at one time it was a hot topic and seriously, a lot of the best horse people I have ever met refer to horses as "it", so don't take it personally :)

Completely agree. Poor YOs always get a hard time on here. I couldn't imagine sharing a yard with anyone who found it acceptable to ride around the yard or join me part way through my use of the school.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Feeling slightly baffled why people are so aghast at the thought of riding round the yard? I tend to do a couple of laps with baby horse before setting off up the lane and onto the road to hack, just to settle her and to check breaks and steering are still installed :D. Though I guess all our horses are out in the fields at this time of year so we aren't disturbing anyone...

Also sharing a school is a fairly normal occurrence on a livery yard, unless you have a private school to yourself or rules that only one person allowed in at a time? Schooling last night I joined another rider as they finished off their ride, spent ten mins alone and then was joined by another person lunging, so I had to use the outside track for my lateral work rather than the circle I was on originally, but then that's what happens on shared livery yards?

OP I would not tolerate rudeness that is upsetting you, if the YO has concerns she should state them not make you feel terrible! I'm glad you're sorted now :) good luck with your move!

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I would have asked you to leave by now, you sound like too much hard work and your horse is a liability. I don't think they YO should be rude but I can see where she is coming from. Best of luck with the move and the rehab :)

For someone that doesn't know me, that is a very harsh statement to make. But don't worry I don't take things said on forums to heart like some people would.

How is a horse that's coming back into work a liability! Jesus christ no one would even ride horses if they bucked/reared/kicked when being broken in or re started!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Somewhat OTT. OP may not have handled the situation as well as could have but that is all.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Though I guess all our horses are out in the fields at this time of year so we aren't disturbing anyone...
That is the key point.

I have no issue with sharing a school but expect the joiner to be in control of the horse and not impact my session through horse misbehaving. There are times to share and times to wait. A horse coming back in to work after 3 months off is likely to play up a bit and should therefore be in school alone.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
That is the key point.

I have no issue with sharing a school but expect the joiner to be in control of the horse and not impact my session through horse misbehaving. There are times to share and times to wait. A horse coming back in to work after 3 months off is likely to play up a bit and should therefore be in school alone.

Very true, we don't tend to practise our flying changes unless alone :eek: we are still at the 'expressive' stage :lol:.