Would you let someone coming to try your horse ride out on there own.

elliegirl12

Visit site
I had a lady come out to see my mare today, came back to view, i walked out with her last time she came out, and seemed capable, my mare is unflappable good as gold on her own but is forward going and fast! But she came up today asking if she could ride out on her own she knows where she is going! i went okay, then half hour later said too my mum why the hell did we let her take our horse out! you hear off so many stories of horses being hurt out on trials and horses being stolen, so me and mum thought we would get in the car and go see if we can find her (she went the route i walked with her on) and couldn't, any way went back to the yard thinking all sorts off things! lucky enough every thing was okay and my mare, but i certainly wont be doing that again!!

Have you ever? :/

magichorse

Visit site
When I was last buying, I rode out all of the horses that I tried on my own (4 of them) and the owners didn't question it. Maybe I have an honest face?! Can see your point of view as a seller, though.

Tinypony

Visit site
I have to say I've never heard of a horse being injured while being taken out on a trial hack, nor have I heard of one being stolen in those circumstances.
If I wanted to buy a hacking horse then I wouldn't unless I had been allowed to take it out alone.

Baluga

Visit site
No I wouldn't, I'd go out with them on one of the others. If they wanted to hack it out on it's own to see what it's like, I would go on foot.
I'm not a very trusting person!

Ella19

Visit site
No I wouldn't. If they wanted to see what they were like alone I would hack out together and choose a path that splits and rejoins to go seperate ways but meet up again after a short period.

trickivicki

Visit site
Yes.

When I sold my last one the purchaser wanted to be very thorough and came up 6 or 7 times with varying helpers, I got bored after she visited twice so just left the tack out her (I think this is what sold him in the end as I could hide nothing from her!).

Equally, when I went to try mr p the seller gave me rough directions to an arena half an hour away for me to ride to/ have a play in.

V x

huntley

Visit site
I would be very suspicious if someone did not let me take a horse out on my own! It is the only way to find out if they are nappy or very spooky. I only go for a few minutes as I can tell alot in that time. If the seller refused I would walk away. Obviously this is only after I have sat on it at home - I would hope then they know I can ride!

rubysmum

Visit site
having in the past bough a horse who was i was assured hacked alone - the owner insisted on walking with me "to make sure i didnt get lost:rolleyes:" - i would absoloutely insist that i hack the horse out alone - i would be happy to leave my credit card/car keys/car/first born child as security:)

Goldenstar

Visit site
Although I can see the theft risk I would just say bye bye and look for another if refused a chance to see if the horse was a nappy ******* as it a common cause of people selling young horses. I might still buy a nappy one but would expect the price to reflect that ,you cannot trust people selling horses unless you know them well.Buyer beware and there is always another one. Would not mind them watching from a distance but you really need to know if a horse naps before you decide.

maxapple

Visit site
I'd go on foot - you can always hang back so that they are effectively 'hacking alone' but you can still see them etc. If I was trying a horse to buy, I'd want to hack out alone as that what I do loads of.

lula

Visit site
having in the past bough a horse who was i was assured hacked alone - the owner insisted on walking with me "to make sure i didnt get lost:rolleyes:" - i would absoloutely insist that i hack the horse out alone - i would be happy to leave my credit card/car keys/car/first born child as security:)

i think this is a sensible solution. Asd a would be buyer i would expect to ride that out and away from home alone and to try them on the roads and in traffic without other horses around but more than happy to leave my car, car keys and photo ID as security with eh vendor.

i can understand a vendor's concern about letting a horse out of their sight but its the nature of selling horses (rather than cars for instance!) that you need to find out if they have issues (nervousness in traffic, nappiness ect) that will only reveal themselves when they dont have any of their security blankets like their owner or other horses around them.

its a question of compromise and if peoeple are sensible it shouldnt be insurmountable.

Chez

Visit site
I maybe pointing out the obvious but the buyers car would be at the yard therefore theft is very unlikely unless they had a banger of a car worth less than the horse but even still with registration details you could track the person down should the ride off with your horse!!

Tinypony

Visit site
I have a horse who is very different if I'm walking nearby on foot to if he's going out alone. He knows he's got "company", horses are aware of what is going on for much larger distances than many people appreciate.
If you think you are buying a good solid hacking horse there has to be some way of trying that out. If you go round the ways the owner always goes, or with any sort of company, things can be very different when they find themselves in new territory. I think leaving the first-born as insurance might be a plan (however, beware being left with unwanted babies!!).

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
My concern is not that the buyer would steal the horse, rather that I only let people I know to be competent and responsible to ride in traffic go alone on my bombproofs.
Talking the talk and riding well in a menage is quite different to facing hazards on the road or in situations where rider error could cause a problem with a good horse.
If they want to see it that it hacks well alone, I'd take it myself and they could view from their car at various points along the route.

Ladylina83

Visit site
What ? ? Yes well no but that is because my horse will not go out on her own ! Someone on foot on a bike on another horse shes fine can I get her 100 yards of the yard no and 9 years of trying ... Will I get stung again NO !

Enfys

Visit site
Not a chance in Hades! Not until their money is in my pocket.

I have plenty of facilities at home for them to ride on, and I'd be OK with them riding out of the drive and up the road a way to see the horse didn't nap obviously, but not around the block or anything, our shortest 'around the block' is 6 miles!

Last edited:

ISHmad

Visit site
We let the lady who bought our horse ride him out on her own and I would expect to be able to do the same with any horse that I bought. We had her car keys left with us anyway when she went off. (Not that we asked her for them, she just asked if we would look after them).

millitiger

Visit site
I would (and have) let people hack alone when trying a horse.

I have also taken horses out alone when trying too and would not buy a horse if I couldn't try it alone as it would set alarm bells ringing.

Tinypony

Visit site
So, if the seller is claiming that the horse is 100% and hacks out happily alone, how can we prove that?

I could walk out with my gelding, even hang back 400 yards or so and drop out of sight, the rider would think he's fantastic. Send them out alone and it would be an entirely different matter.

Not having a go, just curious.

Victoria25

Visit site
Hmmm I don’t know as Ive never been in the situation before (and wont ever be) – I’d perhaps use my car and follow by stopping off in say half mile ‘stop points’ I just know that no matter how ‘trusting’ they looked I’d not let that horse out of my sight until the deal is done/dusted.

Suppose it’s the same as a car – would anyone let their car go on a test drive alone? You wouldn’t!

Worst case - god forbid an accident happened whilst they were out ‘alone’ – they’re not going to pay you for an injured horse are they?

Each to their own and some people wont mind a stranger taking their beloved animal out but that’s just my personal opinion :)

Tinypony

Visit site
I suppose the selling side is academic for me, as I wouldn't sell any of my beloved animals.

Maybe the checking in at certain points by car would work for a buyer who really needed to know that they were buying a horse that would hack out alone. It's one thing that people regularly get stung by when buying.

Alibear

Visit site
If I'm ever lucky enough to belrose shopping it again it will be fore on that is 100% to hack solo and I would want to try it out that way.
I know only too well that there are many that are fine with a person on foot or a bike for company but complete nutters solo.
As others have said my car would be in the owners yard so I don't see a problem with it.
I'd be happy to hack in company first so the owner could check my riding and come back and do a solo hack another day.
Been stung too many times.
Can't compare horses to test driving cars, cars behave the same with or without company!