Would you move your horse abroad?

Blondiecopper

Visit site
As the question states. Would you take your horse abroad with you if you were to make a permanent move?
let's say mainland Spain was on the agenda in time.
would you taken them with you or would you sell them?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i wouldn't take any of the oldies. I would probably take my young ones if i could find a suitable place to keep them.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't consider across Europe a huge move. Mine came from Spain to Germany a few years ago. Then again, I'm used to much bigger moves (across oceans and continents) so UK to mainland Europe or anywhere within Europe from here is an easy move ?

If I can afford it, I'll do it.

stangs

Visit site
Depends on the part of Spain and on the horse, but (unless horse is an aged icy and my new home is in the southern most part of Spain), most likely yes.

asmp

Visit site
Took our daughter‘s 12.1 pony to Germany when husband was posted over there. Sold him while there and brought back a 14.1.
Great facilities and hacking at the local yard. Remember a lot of snow one year though!

Blondiecopper

Visit site
He's a youngster atm so I'd guess he'd be 13 or so if and when I'd go. He's an Irish cob cross so I would expect him to adjust to the climate. Interesting to hear peoples experiences though. I'm not sure I could sell him. I'm a stickler for once I offer a home it's a forever one. Even if it is for sunnier climates!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I would definitely take my ridden horse. If I was driving, which would be the most sensible way I guess if it was continental Europe, I would take my 15 year old non ridden horse, so long as I had my own land once I was there. I wouldn't take the old pony, as although he is currently fit and well, he is 29.

windand rain

Visit site
No probably not the oldies wouldnt cope and the young ones would do better here with riders
I don't ride anymore so they would be happier here

SpotsandBays

Visit site
My rising 4yo and my 18yo - yes. My 30something yo and her elderly shetland friend no. I think they’re abit too old for a long journey and then acclimatising to a new place/temp (depending on where you go!).

Reactions: TPO

texenstar

Visit site
I brought my 16/17 yr old Arab back to the UK with me from Dubai. And imported my current mare from Portugal. I plan to move to Canada in the next 10 years or so and will take my current horses (the one from Portugal and New Forest) with me who will problably both be in their late teens at the time of the move.

Horses move all over the place all the time that we are not aware of I think :) I am sure it is one of the UAE Sheiks who flies his horses twice per year between the UK and UAE. So go for it!

Winters100

Visit site
Yes, as long as the vet and I both felt them to be up to the trip. Depending upon where in UK / where in Spain it is 2000 - 3000 km, which is not such a big trip.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I took mine with me to Ireland, but that's not much different to an internal UK move (both in distance and climate differences). I would hesitate to take him some places as he doesn't do well with heat and can't be stabled much (due to a dust allergy).

I don't think there's a problem if they travel well and are likely to cope with conditions in their new home (and you can afford it).

PurBee

Visit site
I would do it as long as they were healthy enough and thought they would cope with the climate change.

I agree, and have been considering relocation …with much of my decision being based on whether the horses would cope. Where i really want to go, south america, they might not as too humid and a mozzie haven. My compromise place is italy, and theyd cope there…..but theres lots of downsides to that location from a human perspective.

Im torn to be honest.
I’ve considered selling them, staying where we are and just carry on, or find a place that suits ALL - that’s been a hard nut to crack! I dont like option 1 or 2 at all…but 3 seems like the proverbial needle in a haystack. It’s been quite heart-wrenching deliberating the options and pro’s and cons of such a huge move of an entire farm internationally.

But certainly europe id consider it providing theyre healthy as pinkvboots says, and the climate isnt too shockingly different, mainly for the 19yr old horse.

rara007

Visit site
Yes I would- within reason. My horses are both imported and well travelled. Even the pony has been uk-Austria and uk- Hungary.
I’d have to think hard about any moves out of Europe, equine culture wise as much as anything. I’d want to transport the 30yo Shetland myself.

Visit site
Yes, moved with 4 equines from the top of Lancashire to near to Central Denmark in 2020. My mare who was 16, two mini shetlands (16 & 12) and my miniature horse x, who was 31 at the time. My mini horse x adores travelling and there was no way I would have made the move if it wasn’t right to take any of them. My own vet was more than happy they were all fit to travel and they got checked over by the ministry vet also before leaving the UK.

I was VERY selective about who to use to transport them, I chose John Parker International and they were just incredible from start to finish. I purposely paid more to have a dedicated box (as I’ve imported a horse years ago on a shared load and it must have been like being on a long bus route for him, going everywhere and lots of drop offs, unloading, reloading etc (wouldn’t do shared load again).

Mine were picked up on a Friday (as we needed to empty stables etc out before we left), they spent the weekend having the life of Riley at Parker’s yard, set off from there to Germany on the Monday and stayed overnight and arrived Tuesday am in Denmark with us. They were all in lovely condition, travelled extremely well (Parker’s wagons are the height of luxury) and had no issues. Beth, their chauffeur was amazing and went above and beyond, they were all groomed and has obviously been pampered, they were all on soaked hay and soaked hay was organised at their yard and the yard in Germany. Nothing was too much for Parkers and Michelle in their office was amazing dealing with everything.