Would you put a rug on a wet horse?

alexomahony

Visit site
I always like to make sure my horses are dry before I put a turn out rug on them, but I know some people just thrown them on wet, to prevent them getting wetter.

As far as I'm aware there's no right or wrong answer these days as TO rugs are breathable, but I always bring mine in to dry first, simply because I don't like putting clothes on when i'm wet, and worry they'd get colder.

cowgirl16

Visit site
I did just this an hour ago - poor chap has been out all night in a fly rug - he was very wet. But I did towel him off first. I've put a rug on a wet horse many times (not dripping wet mind you). They've always been ok. I would add - the rug I put on said wet horses, always had some degree of filling - I wouldn't put a no-fill on a wet horse as I don't think there would be a sufficient layer of air between them and the rug to enable them to dry out.

Griffin

Visit site
I have done if needed. I would always put one on that has a bit of filling though if the horse is very wet, otherwise they won't dry. I don't usually rug in hot weather but I have been putting a no fill one on at night if there is rain forecast.

PSD

Visit site
if soaking wet then no, damp probably - I’m not even sure why it’s just what I’ve always done. If they’re staying in and damp I’ll put a waffle rug on.

I remember the good old days of straw under a rug to dry them out ?

meleeka

Visit site
if soaking wet then no, damp probably - I’m not even sure why it’s just what I’ve always done. If they’re staying in and damp I’ll put a waffle rug on.

I remember the good old days of straw under a rug to dry them out ?
I think that was to get the air layer than modern rugs now come with. For this reason I wouldn’t put a no fill on a wet horse but do rug with a bit of filling. If I’ve arrived to find a shivering wet pony I’d rather do that than keep her in all day/night.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I did this morning - H was out overnight with his sweet itch rug on and I was at work (finished at 07:00). The forecast changed after I looked at it yesterday otherwise I would have taken his SI rug off and put a lightweight on. He was sopping wet when I got down there (it was like a monsoon) and shivering and I felt awfully guilty - I took his SI rug off and put on his 50g turnout. After about ten minutes of having food and hay he had stopped shivering. I wouldn't usually put one on a soaking wet horse, but I'm pretty sure he's not dead and I'm sorry but after my second night shift I was hanging and wanted to get home.

Winters100

Visit site
Personally no, not unless I could change it for a dry one in an hour or two. Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I just don't see how a rug can be waterproof and truly breathable.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Use The old fashioned thatching if have straw to hand, then rug on top.
today, mine were frozen, and wet, no straw to hand so had to come in and have thematex or a fleece on to dry off.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
No, mine is pretty much always rugged if it rains as he is miserable when wet, unless it’s very hot. If needs be I will towel him down, then pop a waffle rug on and wait til he’s dry.

irishdraft

Visit site
No I bring in and dry off or if warm enough like this morning take off soaked fly rug and leave as is. I did once try it as an experiment with a no fill went back after a couple of hours and horse was still wet and cold .

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Personally no, not unless I could change it for a dry one in an hour or two. Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I just don't see how a rug can be waterproof and truly breathable.
It's pretty clever: water/sweat evaporates as much smaller particles than the actual drops that fall as rain. So th material is designed with he right sized holes to let the vapour out, but not let the rain in (i saw this on tv, it must be true)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Surprised so many people wouldn't. I have 2 that live out with no stables. If they get cold in the rain then there's no option to bring in etc, they just need waterproofing to get warm again. Would others just leave them to be cold? I'm confused!

This.

I've always done it, never had an issue with it.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I mostly let mine be if they're wet, unless I know the temperature is going to plummet overnight, or if the wind has picked up, in which case I think a rug on a wet pony is better than no rug. I can't really keep them in to dry off. Obviously if necessary I try to stick a rainsheet on before they get wet, but I very rarely actually get this right, despite checking the forecast every day, and having access to transparent windows.

Winters100

Visit site
Surprised so many people wouldn't. I have 2 that live out with no stables. If they get cold in the rain then there's no option to bring in etc, they just need waterproofing to get warm again. Would others just leave them to be cold? I'm confused!

I suppose in this case I would put a waffle on and bring them undercover, then put the TO on when they were dry. If they are living out I guess they have a shelter or something. Or if it was really impossible I would put a rug on, wait a couple of hours and then change it for a dry one. Not easy I know......

Rextherobber mentioned Bucas Smartex - I also bought one to try and had high hopes. For me it didn't work and horse was still wet and humid under rug after a few hours, so it got used only once. But interesting to hear that others use them successfully so maybe I will dig ours out and try again.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I'm not sure how many DIY people fitting horses around work and partners and home have the luxury of waiting for them to dry before they rug them. It would take mine hours. I'm quite surprised how many people are saying they won't rug a wet horse.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I suppose in this case I would put a waffle on and bring them undercover, then put the TO on when they were dry. If they are living out I guess they have a shelter or something. Or if it was really impossible I would put a rug on, wait a couple of hours and then change it for a dry one. Not easy I know......

Rextherobber mentioned Bucas Smartex - I also bought one to try and had high hopes. For me it didn't work and horse was still wet and humid under rug after a few hours, so it got used only once. But interesting to hear that others use them successfully so maybe I will dig ours out and try again.
This seems like a lot of work when IME they dry out after an hour or 2 with just a turnout rug on ? one uses the shelter, one doesn't really, neither want to use it in the rain as they prefer standing under the hedge instead.
Sometimes I think we make work for ourselves which isn't of any particular benefit to the horse :)