Would you ride a buted horse?

littleme

Visit site
Yes. There could be loads of different reasons for it. One thing I wouldn't do, is keep a horse on bute in work for the rest of its life, I would either have to retire it or put it down, but would keep in on bute for a certain period, just not 'forever'. It doesn't do their insides a lot of good.
A lot of people will bute for say a week and ride, to see if a behavioural problem is due to pain. I'd definately do that.

*Spider*

Visit site
This was probably me, so yes haha!
He was on 2 bute a day (which I believe to be pretty high) for having a small COSMETIC surgical procedure, nothing to do with lameness or anything like that.
I know many people that ride buted horses, never thought that much about it to be honest. I suppose it depends what your vet suggests I suppose. My vet gave me the all clear.

Tr0uble

Visit site
As above, depends what it's buted for. My old mare was buted for arthritis but she was over 30 so no long term to worry about, keeping her in work kept her sounder

DollyDolls

Visit site
Yes, just the same as I would exercise after taking ibuprofen or similar.

I dont expect to be retired from now because I need painkillers / anti-inflams regularly.

glenruby

Visit site
Yes, it just depends on the reason why its buted. If it were a 20+yo hose doing light work and a bit stiff then I would have no problem. Or for a bute trial under veterinary direction.

abbieandfiona

Visit site
Yes have done and will do again, even at moment one of mine is on danilon and still in work. Mine had to be worked and have DMSO to get sound so needed to be on danilon for this to work. Also has spavins, vet is happy for her to be ridden and she is happy in work.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
Yes, I do, my lad has 1/2 a sachet a day, the vet has said the best thing for him is to keep him in light work. That bit of bute (plus devils claw, SUperflex and Magnetic boots!) keeps him sound, rather than unlevel, and happy to go out hacking.

FanyDuChamp

Visit site
This was probably me, so yes haha!
He was on 2 bute a day (which I believe to be pretty high) for having a small COSMETIC surgical procedure, nothing to do with lameness or anything like that.
I know many people that ride buted horses, never thought that much about it to be honest. I suppose it depends what your vet suggests I suppose. My vet gave me the all clear.

Please don't think I was judging, I was honestly just interested. Neither of mine has ever been buted for anything that you could ride them with so I was curious.

FDC

*Spider*

Visit site
I don't take offence easily I wouldn't worry! (I didn't take offence either) :)
It was handy riding him on the bute though as I knew that his teeth weren't hurting him, and while he was miles better, he could still anticipate the pain. Suppose he'll get better in time, when he learns it doesn't hurt :)

showqa

Visit site
Really depends on the situation. I wouldn't go cross country on a buted horse for example, but my friends butes her 25 year old mare who has mild arthritis an hour and a half before she goes out, but she only gently hacks her. In this case I see no harm and actually a benefit as gentle exercise is exactly what the arthritic horse needs.

Bedlam

Visit site
Would you ride a lame horse?

Would you compete on bute?

If not, why not?

Not wanting to be difficult, just interested........

stroppy

Visit site
No because Bute hides pain and therefore seriouse damage can be done as the horse cant feel it, and both my horses are worth far more to me than just hiding there troubles

Queenbee

Visit site
Yes. There could be loads of different reasons for it. One thing I wouldn't do, is keep a horse on bute in work for the rest of its life, I would either have to retire it or put it down, but would keep in on bute for a certain period, just not 'forever'. It doesn't do their insides a lot of good.
A lot of people will bute for say a week and ride, to see if a behavioural problem is due to pain. I'd definately do that.

yes, for this and only this reason^^^^^^

nona1

Visit site
It depends on the reason for the need for painkillers.

If riding is going to make the problem worse/cause damage hidden by the Bute, then no, of course not.

But if it is needed for a condition like arthritis, then yes. My poor old knees give me gipp sometimes but that's no excuse for stopping exercising, and I actually benefit from a bit of a work-out. The use of Bute in situations like arthritis enable a horse to stay mobile and fit without pain.

EstherYoung

Visit site
My 25yo isn't lame, but he does have mild arthritis and is a bit stiff round the edges which can cause him problems getting up from rolling if the ground is slippy. He's on a danilon a day for ease of movement and it really has made a difference.

We don't do a lot of work these days but we do light hacking and he's fine with that. Vet has known him for many years and is perfectly happy with how we're getting on.

Bute/danilon isn't just a painkiller, it's an anti-inflammatory too.

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Yes, just the same as I would exercise after taking ibuprofen or similar.

I dont expect to be retired from now because I need painkillers / anti-inflams regularly.

Totally agree. Provided the horse was comfortable on a low dose I would have no problem with this.

titch

Visit site
I agree with most of the posters here. My old mare had artritis in her hocks, she wasn't lame, but for situations such as being shod she would struggle to hold her legs up for the required time without being uncomfortable. I only did gentle schooling, hacking etc with her, which the vet agreed would help the artritis as it kept her moving.

We didn't start straight away with bute, we began with devils claw and MSM, as she got older and stiffer under vets recommendation we put her on bute.

Unfortunately 6 months later she broke her leg in the field, so I can't comment on the long term effects, but I would definitely do the same again for a similar medical condition.

I agree with others though, I would not bute a lame horse with an unknown injury, or an injury that could get worse with exercise.

Lolo

Visit site
My horse was on bute for the last 3 years of his life. Prior to that, he was buted when the ground was hard or if he had to be kept in.

In that time we did everything- XC, SJ and dressage. We won quite a lot too- although never in dressage... He was always too naughty!! We mostly stuck to hacking and doing SJ up to 2'9, with XC whenever we could also up to 2'9.

He was a fit, healthy old horse who had arthritis in his shoulders. Without the bute he was stiff and sore, albeit it fairly sound. We asked the vet when the arthritis became bad enough that regular work and feed supplements weren't cutting it and he was becoming short in front, and were advised to keep going as we were and to bute him or accept the inevitable and let him deteriorate. He lived for 3 years more after that, and was PTS this summer after telling us he wasn't comfortable any more.

Bertthefrog

Visit site
Riding schools would go out of business without bute!!!

I have no problem with the long term management of arthritic horses on bute - if it keeps them comfortable and allows them to lead a an active life. I have known many horses live on a sachet of bute a day for years and have only ever known one horse who's liver did eventually give out and which was attributed to bute. He had been on the medication for 10 years and was seventeen when he died.

Not used it long term in ponies though and I do know they are much more prone to long term issues with long term use.

Some do become sound again - which is even better!

I do have a problem with people masking lameness to continue with ridden work if they do not know the cause of lamenes. That doesn't include use for diagnostic purposes of course!

And those individuals that use it to sell a lame horse should be shot!

Booboos

Visit site
Yes of course under the vet's advice. I've had to ride a horse on danilon for 3 weeks to do a pain test and I know of a couple of elderly, arthritic horses who hack on danilon. I would not compete on painkillers as that is not allowed.

hessy12

Visit site
Yes, on my vet's advice, my (now retired) appaloosa was ridden for some time (and hunted) on bute, as the vet said he was better off working than festering in the field. The horse loved working. It's no different from us taking a paracetamol to be able to go to work if we have a cold or a headache.