Would you ride a buted horse?

X

xspiralx

Yes for the same reasons as anyone else.

If riding the horse on bute won't exacerbate a problem or harm it in any way, but simply allows it to do a job without pain, then yes, I would and have.

Depends entirely on the individual circumstances though.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I'd do light work on a horse that was having bute. We have one that has bute as an anti inflamatory for swollen legs sometimes due to mudrash. Obviously it can't go in the field, but needs to move as well. The horse is not lame.

I agree with using bute for an arthritic horse to keep it moving, but think that the work should be taken down to light work. Doing XC and jumping won't help the problem.

More than anything I would follow my vet's advice...

maxapple

Visit site
Yes - when I had a 20 something horse with arthiritis among other things. He was on one bute a day, and light hacking kept him going.

scarymare

Visit site
Yes, definitely. Havent read the thread but I give OH's arthritic cob bute before he rides it (about once every 6 months). No vets involved just like him to be comfy. Hubby is complete novice so can't tell but I can.

Loulou2002

Visit site
I was advised by my vet to put my old jumping horse on bute and do a bit of hacking with her. I think bute is fine for a bit of stiffness etc but not if it was covering something more sinister.

Starzaan

Visit site
As above, it depends what it is buted for.

My old boy gets bute before and after hunting and competing, and occasionally if he's looking a bit stiff and doddery. He's 25 now, and adores his work so much, that if I can keep him comfortable with a couple of bute following a hard day's hunting, then I will.

BUT I would never ride a horse with something more sinister. I knew someone who buted their mare to the eyeballs so that they could continue riding her in spite of her chronic kissing spine...that is something I would never ever do.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I would not bute a lame horse with an undiagnosed injury unless they had been put on a bute trial by my vet.

Nor would I ride a horse on bute that had an injury that could get worse with exercise.

I would ride a horse that needs to be kept in work if advised to do so by my vet.

JenHunt

Visit site
depends on why it was buted and how much it had been given.

My sisters horse has sidebone in front and spavin behind, but the vet says that on days when he's a little sore to give him a half dose of bute and gentle exercise to help keep him moving. So in this sort of situation I would.

However, if the horse was on bute to disguise lameness or mask pain for a horse to be competed, then no way never.

muddy boots

Visit site
Yes, with vet's advice too. I think you need to find out what problem the horse has. For an arthritic horse the pain killer and anti inflamitory will help. Working them to a suitable level is then fine in my opinion.

I would use Danilon.