Would you? Sorry long!

Evie91

Visit site
Currently have a15.3h, 7yr old, Hannovarian x mare.

She was successfully treated for ulcers last year and had psd op on both hinds in December 17 - ulcers likely to have been caused by pain of psd- has been given all clear by vets and currently up to 45 mins work - hacking and schooling, walk, trot and canter 5 times a week. Jumping not been reintroduced yet.

Due to these issues she is green for her age but schools nicely, has hacked alone and in company, done a pleasure ride, been on holiday to the beach, been to local shows, clinics, couple of prelim dressage and jumped schooled.

She loves to work, easy to do in all ways except for farrier- she leaps forward sometimes but can be distracted with a likit- getting better each time, likely to have been due to psd pain. Currently bare foot but has been shod in front.

Decided last year she wasn’t the horse for me. I suffer with anxiety, so shouldn’t have bought a young, green horse. I have paid professionals to school, jump etc as so worried about getting wrong didn’t want to do it at all! Then issues arose which have required treatment but she has been given the all clear by vets.

I did all of the riding in walk rehab myself- she was golden on box rest and hacking out. Got in for first time after box, paddock, field rest and she was amazing- she loves her work and seemed so happy to have a job to do!

She does throw the odd buck- usually when asked to canter -which professionals send her forward and she gets over herself. I panic and stop, giving her the message it’s a good trick to try and get out of work! She has never had me off but my mind get clouded with what if’s and I’ve always said I’d never want a horse that bucks. 9/10 she will be fine and doesn’t even think about bucking! Again think this left over from psd pain and be young.

I need an older, been there, done it type where someone can tell me the quirks rather than find out for myself! I’m not incompetent just unconfident! She has the makings of a lovely all rounder, she is very pretty and much admired -But I’m fed up of paying others to ride which on a different horse I would do myself!
She will only go to a fab home, she deserves that. If one can’t be found I’ll keep her.
So question is; is she saleable?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The greeness is not a problem. The vet history is. An unproven horse that has had both ulcers and the PSD op is worth very little IMHO, though there are folk out there that would take a punt. The worry would be that someone will buy her cheap and then sell her on for ££££s without declaring her issues.

There will be a good home out there for her, but you'd need to weed out the chancers.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The greeness is not a problem. The vet history is. An unproven horse that has had both ulcers and the PSD op is worth very little IMHO, though there are folk out there that would take a punt. The worry would be that someone will buy her cheap and then sell her on for ££££s without declaring her issues.

There will be a good home out there for her, but you'd need to weed out the chancers.

Have to agree with this ^^
I think your best bet is finding someone via word of mouth, perhaps via the pros that have ridden her or your instructor?

Evie91

Visit site
That’s my worry. Kind of hoping to sell her via word of mouth as good home most important.we are kind of stuck with each other at the moment! She’s currently on schooling livery with a professional, she is very pretty and moves well and if I advertise her cheap I’m worried people will overlook vet history, bring her on, sell her on without disclosing!
I also see some lovely allrounders sold cheaply so not sure she will find a home with someone else.
Only sold a sound small pony before and it was awful - unbelievable the people who called up, finally found a good home :)

Evie91

Visit site
The money is not an issue, a good home is. If she’s advertised as free I know I’ll have all and sundry call up, so really difficult as to how to go about it in the best way.
Professional and friends know the situation but none of my contacts looking for a horse like her currently, taking into account the vet history.

JulesRules

Visit site
I was in a similar boat with my mare. I've now bought a new horse and my mare is going on trial at Morton Morrell in September. She will come home to me in the holidays and I can visit her and ride her at weekends if I want to. Obviously if it doesn't work out with her I have 2 horses but I won't sell my mare.
Might be worth looking into with yours as an option?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
would you put her on loan or possibly lwvtb? I think people might be wary (understandably) so if you aren't wanting the money and would be prepared to take her back/something if she were to come back that might be an option.

there are sites that exist to find horses homes that might be worth advertising on if you wanted to as well for loans and sale.

Carrottom

Visit site
Would also suggest full loan, it gives ultimate control if money not an issue.
I currently have an ex-racer on loan because the owner doesn't want to think he might get sold on out of their control.
It does mean that there is no financial advantage to me if I improve the horse but as I don't tend to sell them anyway this isn't a concern. On the plus side for me if his prior injury means he can't do want I want him for he can be returned to the owner who would then either find another home, keep and retire, or pts if his quality of life wasn't good. That would be the owner's responsibility.

Evie91

Visit site
My dilemma is if I loan her and then get another I’d be in a pickle if she came back. I can afford two at home - but no facilities, but only one on livery.
Sounds like I need a loan swap- someone looking for a young horse to bring on who has an older one, looking for a quieter life!
She loves to work too, so currently paying for her to be on livery with a professional- she’s thriving but I’m not riding!

millikins

Visit site
What about putting POA on your ad rather than a price? I usually hate ads with that but in your case might weed out some of the chancers?

Evie91

Visit site
Friend has post my fb ad on my behalf as I’m not good with technology. Price is not on there. I thought of poa but wondered if it would put people off. Will probably be in trouble as believe a lot of the sites want a price - which is fair enough!
Unfortunately pics used are not v good, my first ad didn’t include pics as I’d done it myself, so another friend added the ones she has - which are the ones we all complain about! Horse not stood square, lying down etc - better than nothing but I’ve since sent through some more but they are not the first that come up.

Kind of resigned to keeping her, she seems determined not to go anywhere, making good progress with professional- horse is not daft, she’s knows when she’s on to a good thing!

be positive

Visit site
If you like her why don't you ride her while she is with the pro, if they can school her with you in mind rather than pushing her forward towards a sale, you say she is super out hacking so take over that and avoid cantering until she is more established, unless the pro is unhappy with an owner riding it could be advantageous to you both and could be a better option than selling and replacing, sometimes the devil you know is best as you could easily end up with a different set of issues.

Evie91

Visit site
Be positive- this may happen. She has destroyed my confidence on her though. I’ll ride others but don’t enjoy riding her, more I make myself do it. I wind myself up with the what if she bucks!
She will stay with professional until she can be rehomed, so if she can’t I may well end up having the odd lesson etc, maybe after several years with the professional she will be the horse for me!!! If she’s there for a while I will ask if she can be lightly competed so she has that experience.
It’s just I want to go out and about now, but like you say I may end up with problems with a new one!

JulesRules

Visit site
Regarding my suggestion about Morton Morrell why don't you phone them for a chat? You do get them back in the holidays but Xmas and Easter you can put them on livery at MM. You do have them back over the summer but you could look at grass livery and the summer is the easiest time to have 2.

PM me if you want to know who to talk to.

Bellalily

Visit site
I would whack on a price that will weed out the chancers. Think of her value if her medical history was A+. Then, when you do get someone interested, you'll know they are probably serious. I would tell them about her history before a viewing and that you are prepared to take that into consideration.

Evie91

Visit site
Thanks JulesRules -messaged you.
Bellalily - that has been pro and YO opinion. They think she is a talented mare and have said if I could get person to see her she would sell; she has nice paces, soft mouth, works in natural outline and likes to work, will give anything a go,she’s pretty too. She can be opinionated at times but once told gets over herself and doesn’t come back at you.
Probably shot myself in the foot now anyway. Ad is out there saying out medical issues, so if I change now will probably look suspicious!
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! All very valid and I realise I sound like I’m being negative about each one but I am banking the ideas!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Is there a reason jumping hasn't been reintroduced? The more she is doing and proving she is at least currently staying sound doing the better really.

Evie91

Visit site
Just wanted to get the canter established first- so working on that and hacking. Will look at introducing jumping again in a couple of weeks, wanted to wait for cooler weather!