Would you take the risk for £995? Is it worth it or am i a sucker?!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Apparently, done lots of hacking, jumping.. very safe and sane.

http://www.horsemart.co.uk/AdvertRef/HM8...HorseDetail.asp

advert: HM828N5G5

Tendon Injury 2 months ago, vet prognosis was another 12 months off and back into full work.
ooo.gif

Natch

Visit site
Oh no this is my fault isn't it?! I said I liked her in your other post!!

Dont' you already have a few that you can't ride? If so my sensible head says don't do it, in case you end up with a field ornament

... however, she does look lovely!
wink.gif

Hollycat

Visit site
If its a tendon injury then I would have thought she will need regular scans of the tendon to ensure it is healing properly. That will add up to more then you are paying pretty quickly. Or you could forget about the scans, turn her out and hope for the best! Given the amount of cheap horses likely to come onto the market soon with winter coming up I am sure you could do better.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I have one that will always be unsound- the others are babies.

Its unlikely i'll do it- but its interested to hear others views on it aswell.

SillyMare

Visit site
I wouldn't pay that for a horse with a recent tendon injury unless it was very special. It will cost you at least £1k to give her a year off, after which she MIGHT come back into work.

If you are tough enough you could offer meat money with a view to doing just that if she doesn't come right. Not sure I could do that personally.

Natch

Visit site
No, don't do it. I have been thinking about this. (yes, I really am that sad I have nothing better to do
tongue.gif
wink.gif

She would cost you a lot more than £995 to keep her for the rest of her life if she turns out no good. You will never get that leg insured or be able to claim for LOU. You have no way of seeing if what they say about how she used to ride is true, and horses personalities can change if they have been through something painful. If she is permanently unsound, I don't think its fair to put her into foal. Its not a brilliant confo pic, but from what I can see she also looks like she has very upright shoulders, possibly over at the knee, and look at the angle of those pasterns & hooves - very odd.

So I think you and your mummy can do better - what did you think about the hafflinger?

ladyt25

Visit site
I would trim it's feet as a start, broken back pastern axis going on there as I think front feet are far too long, could just be a bad pic.

Doesn't say what injury is / was though although guessing was a limb/tendon?

Personally I probably would keep looking to be honest unless you wanted a brood mare. i think you can buy a horse, without an injury for that much.

Rachel_M

Visit site
With those legs, not a chance. I wouldn't be surprised if you were to be dealing with a lot of strain related injuries with the horse when in full time work.

I wouldn't breed from her either, sorry.
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
Looking at the other mares for sale on the site for that price and height I wouldn't, although most of them are quite old or just for broodmares. This one is quite nice! Reference HM828ME18 part bred arab

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Looking at the other mares for sale on the site for that price and height I wouldn't, although most of them are quite old or just for broodmares. This one is quite nice! Reference HM828ME18 part bred arab

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw her but it says shes quite lively which is no good unfort
grin.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
I also wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Their other youngster was broken at 2yrs old and already been thrashed (probably) down the main road in a gig.... as no doubt she will have been.

Her feet are too long, and if she's been worked at speed with those feet on the road I'd say she's knackered already. Wouldn't breed from her either....

gailt

Visit site
The place looks very familiar to me, is it a dealer? I think you made a wise decision, she may never come right, shame shes a pretty mare, but in saying that, thats not alot of money if you just wanted a brood mare.

tickety_boo

Visit site

Good grief I'm not suprised she's pulled two tendons with pasterns like that! I very much doubt that those two tendons will be the first or last that she'll pull either. With those pasterns I also think it's rediculous to breed from her only to create another anatomically defunct creature.

joeanne

Visit site
oh my god, does that woman not have a farrier????
no you would be setting yourself up for a bagful of heartache i think, if you decided to buy.

birdof1977

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't buy anything from anyone, that didn't list a landline number on their advert. I always think thats far too dodgy, ie stolen etc. Mobile phones are just that, Mobile!

Mithras

Visit site
Having injured my own achilles tendon, not even that badly, and knowing the self massage, icing, physio, accupuncture, etc, just to enable me to run on it, no I wouldn't risk buying a horse with a tendon injury. Its hard enough when you're human and can stop and treat it whenever you feel it tightening up slightly.