would you vet a foal??

idx

Visit site
Hi

I think they could only check heart and eyes (basic 2 stage vetting) but even then there are no guarantees as so much can change between 6 months and 3 years.

If I was only spending £1000 I would risk it you pay your money and you take your chances. I would take an experienced pair of eyes with me to check conformation etc.

If it was a quality £6k foal I think I would want a vet to do the basic heart and eye check and look over the limbs.

Keenjean

Visit site
No I don't really see how you could very effectively and considering value prob not worth it, you won't need to have had a vetting for the insurance

misst

Visit site
I did ! Bought a little guy for peanuts a couple of years ago. He was our first foal. I knew his parentage and met both of them. Loved him to bits but
felt it would be good to get a professional pair of eyes on his conformation and movement. Had a 2 stage vetting - heart, lungs, movement and eyes and limbs and asked her to point out any glaring problems I might have overlooked.
I still feel it was money well spent as it gave me peace of mind. It was not about the value of the foal but about someone I trusted just reinforcing my choice! (or not!). I understand why people do not bother but for me a foal did not look like a horse:rolleyes: if you get my drift. I did not have the confidence to just go ahead. I thought someone might turn round six months later and say OMG look at his legs/feet/head and at least then I could say he wasn't like that when I bought him!!:D I am not sure if I would do it again but probably would. It did not cost much. It also helps with insurance.

babymare

Visit site
cosidering my last buy nope prob wouldnt lol - at end of day a foal is a risk in many ways so - bright eyes straight movement no scouring basic confirmation the mare and her condition - so many things to look at to give you idea :) x

odd1

Visit site
i did but only because i was going to buy her unseen
i spoke to my own vet and aksed if it would be wise to get a local vet out, it was cheaper to get her vetted than for me to drive down spend 1 night away from home etc - ended up she failed it, all they did was check movement eyes, lungs heart and she had damage to one eye & had what looked like a club foot according to the vet, so we decided to give her a miss

gingerninja11

Visit site
I had to - for a shetland foal - demanded by the insurance (Petplan).
Was a special foal vetting form from the BEVA website, basically confirms the foal was alive and had nothing obviously wrong with it. It was a bit of a faff but Petplan wouldn't insure her without it. Even thought they were happy to insure an older, more expensive one without. All very odd. :p

DebbieBrand

Visit site
I bought a foal and Petplan insist on a mortality certificate for insurance cover, so I had to have a vet check it and supply the certifcate. The vet basically checked eyes and listened to heart, and watched it being led around.

zoon

Visit site
Bought mine on the basis of pics and vids as he was a 10 hour round trip away, hence had a local vet cast an eye over him mainly for conformation issues I may have missed from pics and vids. Turns out he was slightly cow hocked and I couldn't see that in any of the vids or pics sent to me. Bought him anyway, but at least I know. I wouldn't have bothered if I could have seen him in the flesh

ladyt25

Visit site
Depends what you mean by foal - how old? I assume you mean under 1 yo? I bought a 15mth old last summer and I did ask my vet to go check him oevr for me, just the basic heart, lungs, eyes etc and also to see him walk up in hand, check his legs and sort of really give me his advice and thoughts on the overall 'picture' as it were. My purchase was also under £1000 but I wanted the vetting just for my own piece of mind really as I trust our vet, he knows what we want our horses for and the fact he is a horse vet and horse owner too he has a lot of experience.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Yes, I would.

A friend of mine viewed a lovely foal and was set to buy him. She had him vetted and all looked ok. The vet said he wouldnt normally carry out soundness tests in a youngster but he suspected something wasnt right so he carried the tests out. The foal was found to have hock problems which he said may right itself but also may not. My friend walked away from the sale and Im so glad she did!

Faro

Visit site
Having bought/brought up 3 since foals/yearlings, I must say that I've never had them vetted. But none of them were high value animals (or not at that time anyway). I've been lucky with mine. That's not to say I wouldn't encourage others to get a foal vetted for their own peace of mind, though.

mr fields

Visit site
it is pointless having foals vetted because they havnt developed propaly because somethings can show up now i.e heart murmours and can have gone by the time they are a yearlings another reasons why u shouldnt get foals vetted is because stringhalt, shivers or ocd can not show until 2 year olds so in my opinion vetting horses any age are pointless because alot of problems in horses can be cured without a vet if treated correctly in sensiible hands. i have never had any of my horses vetted that i have bought nd yes some of them hav had problems but hav been cured with time off work, box rest or general care. i wouldnt reccomend any vetting to any horse :)

foxtrot

Visit site
thanks everyone for all the comments...
one of the reasons i asked was for the purposes of insurance (petplan) but with a little more research i have found NFU dont require a vetting certificate another was just curiousity i wanted to find out if this was the done thing.
I have viewed the foal and i think i would trust my judgement enought to pick up any major conformation faults, which i am pleased to say i dont think this foal has plus it looked pretty healthy when i went to see it bright and playful is how i would describe it.

Housemouse

Visit site
Yes. I don't think it matters how much it is worth. Is it worth the heart ache when it goes wrong?

I've known several foals that have had to be pts before they've got to 2 years old:

Hepatitis, Enlarged Heart, Eye problems, to name but a few problems that would have shown at a two stage vetting.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
it is pointless having foals vetted because they havnt developed propaly because somethings can show up now i.e heart murmours and can have gone by the time they are a yearlings another reasons why u shouldnt get foals vetted is because stringhalt, shivers or ocd can not show until 2 year olds so in my opinion vetting horses any age are pointless because alot of problems in horses can be cured without a vet if treated correctly in sensiible hands. i have never had any of my horses vetted that i have bought nd yes some of them hav had problems but hav been cured with time off work, box rest or general care. i wouldnt reccomend any vetting to any horse :)

You are very lucky then. I bought a horse and never had it vetted- ended up having to be put down 9 months later leaving me with a broken heart and a mountain of vet bills. I cant reccommend a vetting strongly enough.

and HOUSEMOUSE: I agree - its not even about the money,its the heartbreak too

mr fields

Visit site
You are very lucky then. I bought a horse and never had it vetted- ended up having to be put down 9 months later leaving me with a broken heart and a mountain of vet bills. I cant reccommend a vetting strongly enough.

and HOUSEMOUSE: I agree - its not even about the money,its the heartbreak too

every1 one is entitled to their point of view and different ways of keeping horses. yes i have lost alot of horses over the years through illness etc alot of vets these days only do it for the money, i am very lucky in that way because my vet keeps horses her self so she always gives you advice on her point of view and a vets point of view she is the best vet by miles i have ever had. i am very sorry to hear about your loss :(

horzes

Visit site
I would, because even if the foal is only 1000 the vets bills for a heart problem or other problem that a vet would maybe uncover would be really high. If I were buying lots of foals or had a program maybe not, because the cost of getting them all vetted would be similar to the cost of vets fees for a problem. If it's just one then also piece of mind is important. From both a cost and a piece of mind aspect it's a good idea.