Wow saddles

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Is it possible to let some air out of the panels without getting a fitter?
I’m riding a horse and she went nicely as the saddle was, fitter inflated the rear to support the owner more as they had difficulties trotting. She said at the time that it would make them tip forward and feel off balance but she wanted to demonstrate the differences.
Unfortunately he liked it.
I’m currently the only rider and firstly I now find it impossibly horrible to ride in (previously loved it, even though the seat is way to big) I now feel awful, tipped forward and fighting to stay in a correct position. Weirdly can’t for the life of me get my stirrup length correct or even feeling. More so though the horse hates it.
Can I just deflate them again, very slightly- ride and see then take out a little more until we are both comfortable again?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You only need a pump, I don't use the whole fitting kit I count pumps into one airbag at a time. They sometimes come up on ebay but I haven't seen one recently. The pump is pretty standard, it's the little valve that attaches to the tiny tube that's the issue.

You can reset to atmospheric pressure, and that's all I have in some airbags. To do that you put the saddle down on its pommel so that nothing is touching any airbag. Then take out the plugs. After an hour, put the plugs back in carefully without touching the air bags at all.

If you don't have a pump and that makes it too low you'll need a back riser until you can get hold of one.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've always sealed the tubes again with gunge before putting the stops back in, what gunge do people use if they don't have a fit kit?

ycbm

Visit site
I don't use gunge. I've seen gunge migrate down a tube and block the balancing when filling more than one airbag at once. That's why I don't join airbags to fill them either.

If a tube starts to leak I clip 3mm off the end and that sorts it.

Wheels

Visit site
No. I have no idea how or what’s needed and hoped the pump was only needed to put air in!

Question - how much air did she put in for the other rider and how much air did she usually put in for you? How will you know when enough air is removed and how will you put some back in if you let too much out?

Wheels

Visit site
I don't use gunge. I've seen gunge migrate down a tube and block the balancing when filling more than one airbag at once. That's why I don't join airbags to fill them either.

If a tube starts to leak I clip 3mm off the end and that sorts it.

Just for anyone reading this - Wow recommend that you use silicone as a 'stop' as well as the stopper itself, otherwise risk the bag deflating. Wow also recommend that you join rear air bags together and front bags together when inflating / deflating to ensure symmetry (unless doing and asymmetrical balance for a particular reason)

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Question - how much air did she put in for the other rider and how much air did she usually put in for you? How will you know when enough air is removed and how will you put some back in if you let too much out?
I was hoping I could just let a tiny bit out and test ride, until we were happy.

From the above replies though I feel like that’s not an option, I’m out of my comfort zone with all this ? I’ve never even seen a wow saddle up til now.
The fitter has never fitted for me, she said did I want to get on and be sure I was ok with it, stupidly I said no because just had no idea how much difference to rider feel a bit of air would make!

Wheels

Visit site
Oh gotcha OK then yes, best to get the fitter back if you want to use the saddle. Is there going to be more than one rider using this saddle?

ycbm

Visit site
Just for anyone reading this - Wow recommend that you use silicone as a 'stop' as well as the stopper itself, otherwise risk the bag deflating. Wow also recommend that you join rear air bags together and front bags together when inflating / deflating to ensure symmetry (unless doing and asymmetrical balance for a particular reason)

I have been using these saddles doing my own fitting without gunge or joining the airbags together for over 15 years and have yet to have a horse with a sore back.

Symmetry is easy to achieve if you can count up to 10.

Wheels

Visit site
I have been using these saddles doing my own fitting without gunge or joining the airbags together for over 15 years and have yet to have a horse with a sore back.

Symmetry is easy to achieve if you can count up to 10.

I'm sure your horses backs are fine and I really wasnt having a go at you. But, getting the very best out of the air it is best to be a little more precise. There are times when just a quarter or half pump of air can give that final bit of something that can make a big difference to some combinations. When balancing the saddle it is best to be able to put a little in, take a little out, a bit more in, a little out and so on... you cant then keep the bags symmetrical when only doing one at a time. So whilst you might be able to achieve symmetry by counting to 10 there is more to it than that if you want optimal balance and this is the details that matter to professional fitters