Wtf is this

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I like dishy headed arabs normally and the ones with a normal amount of dishing have no issues with teeth or breathing. That however, is taking a dished head far too far. The horse should not be bred from IMO.

Equine_Dream

Visit site

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Sad to see the Arab breed heading down the same line as those poor Quarter horses that have post like legs and so much muscle they're only any use for in hand showing... It beggars belief that practical infirmities, things that make it so hard for a horse to do a job, could be rewarded!

justabob

Visit site
A similar fashion was introduced to Welsh Section A's, big forheads, dished heads and bulbous eyes, we called them calf heads. They suffered from undershot jaws and breathing problems. The ears ended up small and round, these ponies were bred by big studs that should have known better. Hopefully the fad has run its course, now sadly the lovely and elegant Arab is being man made into a freak.

LittleGinger

Visit site
Horrible, isn't it? I saw it yesterday on FB and it made me feel a bit sick.

Not sure if I'm allowed to copy and paste comments from Facebook onto here (even though they are in the public domain) so I'll refrain, but there are some very sad comments on one of the pictures from a lady whose horse was marked down at a show for being too extreme... Owner and a few others are now commenting on how they should just avoid that judge in the future because their horses are beautiful and have won under other judges. Not sure whether I'm more sad or angry.

Look at this little baby:

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=41f5ddc44df00621acc380e0e30b9ba0&oe=57AD3C40

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
If that is deliberate, it's just wrong.

I agree with Equine_Dream, it looks like they are trying to breed something that looks like a duck.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
RE the foal, that will not keep the same level of dish as it has currently. Foals are born looking more dishy than they end up as once the skull has finished growing. Plus it's been clipped from the level under the eyes, which always makes them look more dished (which is why they do it I guess).

ETA - it's a shame that the dams head is cut off. It would be interesting to see how dished she is.

I also want people to not forget how wonderful arabian horses are. They are amazing performance animals with super temperaments and the breed as a whole does not deserve to become ridiculed or thought of as freaks because of a few bad breeders or the endurance scandals.

Last edited:

JoannaC

Visit site
She really is hideous, so sad poor little mare. She looks nothing like an arab is meant to look. I don't mind a slight dish but how anyone can think that is beautiful is beyond me. As said previously looks like a duck or something, certainly in no shape or form is that true Arabian "type"!

Princess16

Visit site
Hideous looks like a sea horse ! Oh I see he's from LA La Land there's a surprise !

Sorry if I have offended any Americans!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Poor horse I feel really sorry for it, and it looks like a real sweetie. Why man has too tamper with genes and genetics to produce man made breeds like this is mind blowing, so utterly wrong IMO.

Last edited:

Flame_

Visit site
That is a very funny looking arab horse! Hopefully she will live a happy life anyway but should never ever be bred or win any sort of showing class. Sadly there seem to be quite a few seriously twisted arab enthusiasts who see this conformation fault as a good thing.

Normal dished heads are beautiful - but some people apparently need telling that sometimes less is more!

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
It's got more of a stop than my Gordon Setter had!!!! And he had a gorgeous head for a dog!!! That is just horrid!! It's head is nearly a bleering right angle?!?!?!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
the owner of this hideous horse is now facebook stalking anyone who has said anything negative about his horse and posting photos of their horses on his facebook page effectively saying how ugly they are. This guy is a piece of work, what a douchebag.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
That poor filly :(. She will probably die in agony :(

I think our Sec A has one of the over enhanced dish faces that people seem to like. The vet thought he was a preemie due to the dish.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
RE the foal, that will not keep the same level of dish as it has currently. Foals are born looking more dishy than they end up as once the skull has finished growing. Plus it's been clipped from the level under the eyes, which always makes them look more dished (which is why they do it I guess).

ETA - it's a shame that the dams head is cut off. It would be interesting to see how dished she is.

I also want people to not forget how wonderful arabian horses are. They are amazing performance animals with super temperaments and the breed as a whole does not deserve to become ridiculed or thought of as freaks because of a few bad breeders or the endurance scandals.

Faracat is right foals do tend to look more dished and his face is clipped so it looks worse than it is, and Arabs are wonderful horses I wouldn't be without mine I find it very sad seeing Arabs being bred this way:(

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Why die in agony? I can see how breathing and possibly eating might be affected, but not terminally.

As long as her teeth are well looked after (and I suspect that she may need more frequent checks) and she's not expected to perform as a racehorse or endurance horse, I think that she'll cope OK. Being an in hand show horse isn't exactly demanding (although the breeding of extreme dishes such as this should not be encouraged by placing well at shows IMO).

The arab that sparked similar threads to this one (the horse with the congenital head deformity) was reported to cope fantastically and her head was worse than just an extreme dish.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
Faracat is right foals do tend to look more dished and his face is clipped so it looks worse than it is, and Arabs are wonderful horses I wouldn't be without mine I find it very sad seeing Arabs being bred this way:(

It seems to be mainly those in a certain country!

I was googling as I was wondering about the Egyptian bloodlines. I see that the EAO has normal looking arabs, and surely THOSE are the standards by which all others should be measured as being a STRAIGHT Egyptian?

He has another called Raymonda....not at all a narcissistic name!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The difference between a pure Egyptian and a straight Egyptian seems to come down to whether the bloodlines meet the Pyramid Society's specifications.

The Pyramid Society Definitions

To qualify as a Straight Egyptian, as defined by The Pyramid Society, a horse must:

* Be registered or eligible by pedigree for registration by the Arabian Horse Registry of America AND
* Trace in every line of its pedigree to horses born in Arabia Deserta; AND
* Trace in every line of its pedigree to a horse which falls within one or more of the following categories:(a) owned or bred by Abbas Pasha I or Ali Pasha Sherif;(b) used to create and maintain the Royal Agricultural Society (RAS)/Egyptian Agricultural Organization (EAO) breeding programs, with the exclusion of Registan and Sharkasi and their lineal descendants;© a horse which was a lineal ancestor of a horse described in (a) or (b) above; or (d) other than those excluded above, a horse conceived and born in a private stud program in Egypt and imported directly to the United States and registered by the Arabian Horse Registry of America prior to the extension of the EAO's supervision to private Egyptian stud programs as reflected in Volume 4 of the EAO's stud book.

To be recognized as Egyptian-Sired, as defined by The Pyramid Society, a horse must be a purebred Arabian who is produced by breeding a Straight Egyptian stallion to a purebred Arabian mare who is not Straight Egyptian. beginning with horses born in 2005.

Prior to 2005, The Pyramid Society recognized a category of horses as Egyptian-Bred or Egyptian-Related. As defined by The Pyramid Society, an Egyptian-bred or Egyptian-related horse was (a) one who was produced either by breeding a Straight Egyptian stallion to a purebred Arabian mare who is not Straight Egyptian OR (b) one whose grandsires are both Straight Egyptian, and whose dam is a purebred Arabian who is not Straight Egyptian. Note: All horses born prior 2005 and meeting the definition of Egyptian Bred/Related are eligible for certain Society-managed programs through the remainder of their lifetimes.

Only horses of certifiable ancestry are eligible for classification as Straight Egyptian or Egyptian-sired or Egyptian-Bred/Egyptian-Related as defined by The Pyramid Society, and for participation in Society-managed programs.

I've watched the video and all I wanted to do was grab that blimmin' whip from them. She needs to have a nice, calm home where she is loved, looked after and allowed to just pootle about at her own pace. She should not be bred from as she's not a good physical specimen. Plus they shouldn't try to breed more like her either. :(

EmmasMummy

Visit site
As long as her teeth are well looked after (and I suspect that she may need more frequent checks) and she's not expected to perform as a racehorse or endurance horse, I think that she'll cope OK. Being an in hand show horse isn't exactly demanding (although the breeding of extreme dishes such as this should not be encouraged by placing well at shows IMO).

The arab that sparked similar threads to this one (the horse with the congenital head deformity) was reported to cope fantastically and her head was worse than just an extreme dish.

How does everything fit in the skull though? Its like a large portion is missing/squashed. I have tried to find a picture of an egyptian arab horse skull but cant find any modern ones.

I am genuinely interested in how everything fits in there.

luckyoldme

Visit site
to me its the deliberately breeding a deformity.
I had a look on the fb page and the breeder seems very nasty, not someone i would like to meet!