WWYD: educate or ditch?

Joggi71

Visit site
Hi all, OK so I spoke with her today and asked how she thought things were going? She said great, horse was really listening to her now. Asked her if she was doing much cantering and she said yes, a bit and described the minute and a half canter. I asked about the half mile canter and she confirmed that she had started trotting but horse seemed to be struggling up the hill so she thought they would get it done quicker by cantering it (what the actual duck I thought, why not walk? Wouldn't mind taking her out jogging in a pair of steel sole trainers with a pig prodder). I tried to (calmly) explain that horses are not cantered on roads and explained about the concussive force, half a ton of horse on a horse shoe, 3 beat rhythm of canter meaning horse is on one leg much of the time, etc etc. She sounded truly shocked and said she didn't know about not cantering on roads. I believe her. I also cancelled the arrangement of course - she won't be coming back.

Mares leg is worse this evening - a fuller exam has revealed all four legs have swelling and heat, 3 in the fetlocks plus the off fore sesamoid ligament which is twice the size it was this morning . She is on steroids, cold hosing twice daily, box rest, bandaged, nsaids. Vet back out tomorrow to reassess. Can't believe how much damage done in just 8 days of ****** riding. Just goes to show how fragile their legs are huh?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Oh gosh, your poor, poor mare. No matter how good her intentions where, what was she thinking?! Glad you've cancelled the contract. I truly hope she recovers soon.

Do please keep us updated.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
OMG that is just so awful :( Does she know what she has done and has she shown any remorse? If she has rider insurance can you go through her insurance so you don't have to pay the excess on vets bills?

Princess16

Visit site
Words fail me! Stupid stupid girl . I suggest until she learns about riding horses she never goes near one again ! ((Hugs)) your poor girl .

Joggi71

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words. I keep walking round the house muttering 'I just can't believe it, stupid bloody woman' , think it's driving my family nuts. In 10 years she's never been lame.
I have messaged the woman to tell her what she's done. She hasn't replied, apologised or anything. Guess she doesn't care. I did 'suggest' she didn't get on a horse again (perhaps I shouldn't have done that but a red mist descended).
Just :(:(:(:(