WWYD - RE: My mare's big attitude problem with spring back gates

caitlineloise

Visit site
Hi all,

Unfortunately I took a tumble onto the tarmac yesterday when my mare had a complete paddy over a certain gate on one of our routes. It can be avoided in future by going a slight bit further up to a wooden nice gate (the type that stays open!) However I just wanted to know you're views on what you would do about it.

Bit of a back story; she used to be my mums mare and she was gifted to me, she had a problem with this particular gate swinging and hitting her on the arse when my mum first got her (5 years ago now) and she's therefore had a problem with these type of gates ever since, especially this particular one.

Yesterday my friend went through, I walked her up and she wouldnt get close enough for me to pull the handle back, tried a couple more times and she was just backing up and starting to get silly (right behind us here is a fast main road so not worth the argument here) so my friend came back and opened it. She shot through and tried to p*** off over the horse blocks (two wooden sleepers to stop motorbikes coming onto the bridle/footpath) so I sharply turned her. She proceeded to turn again and jump the other motorbike deterrents (two metal sort of upside down U's) and then stop dead and turn, unfortunately the sharp turn coupled with the stopping dead was where I came a cropper. Caught her and got back on the rest of the ride was fine, back to her usual nothing bothers me state.

She isn't a spooky mare at all, she's normally so well behaved which is why it's so frustrating!

So.. WWYD, I am going to avoid this particular gate as once they get through they are closed in by the motorbike deterrents so I think that's what made her get more het up. But there is a couple more gates of this type around. I don't want to make it into a big issue. Is it worth carrying something to try and hold them open a little longer so there is no chance of one catching her?

Answers on a postcard please. Sorry for the essay!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
So she doesn't have a problem with gates she has a problem with unexpectedly being hit in the backside and the issue has never been tackled correctly since.

Two options.

Avoid it, by going to a different gate or getting off for this type of gate.

Train it, by spending a significant amount of time working on the issue starting from the ground or with a helper to hold the gate.

Rafie

Visit site
I would walk her in hand to the gate with the plan of working on the issue and not going for a hack. Go in and out until there is no issue and build up to riding through the gate calmly. Probably over the course of a couple of days. Making sure I had enough daylight to end on a positive note.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Honestly I'd just get off and lead her through

me too, especially with a busy road close by. Some times you have to pick your battles, and it doesn't sound like this gate is the best one for reestablishing her confidence, too many obstacles around.

caitlineloise

Visit site
I should at least explain nobody has ever let it clatter up her backside and she has only ever had this one gate clatter up her backside - 5 years ago, because she barged through it and the person holding it had to let go - it's not something that is a regular occurrence. It's never happened to her since. And she's only been mine for around 9 months - and where she stayed for the summer had no gates of this type so I have never been able to tackle the problem at all.

I will in future avoid this gate, and of course get off and lead if absolutely necessary and if there is somewhere suitable to get back on (I won't mount from the ground)

Thanks all.

caitlineloise

Visit site
I would walk her in hand to the gate with the plan of working on the issue and not going for a hack. Go in and out until there is no issue and build up to riding through the gate calmly. Probably over the course of a couple of days. Making sure I had enough daylight to end on a positive note.

Thanks, I did think about doing this as it's not too far from my yard at all. :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
So she doesn't have a problem with gates she has a problem with unexpectedly being hit in the backside and the issue has never been tackled correctly since.

Two options.

Train it, by spending a significant amount of time working on the issue starting from the ground or with a helper to hold the gate.

This, obvious really!

madlady

Visit site
Avoid or lead her through until you've been able to work through it with her properly - a couple of hours with a helper should see a vast improvement.

benz

Visit site
The gate sounds like a nightmare, I suggest to report your accident with the gate on BHS accident page http://www.bhs.org.uk/safety-and-accidents/horse-accidents and get in touch with your local Bridleway association to see if it can be changed to a safer gate.

In the meantime training or avoidance seems the only safe solutions. Just be aware if you are leading in hand and she gets away from you into the main road that could be very serious indeed.

caitlineloise

Visit site
The gate sounds like a nightmare, I suggest to report your accident with the gate on BHS accident page http://www.bhs.org.uk/safety-and-accidents/horse-accidents and get in touch with your local Bridleway association to see if it can be changed to a safer gate.

In the meantime training or avoidance seems the only safe solutions. Just be aware if you are leading in hand and she gets away from you into the main road that could be very serious indeed.

Thanks will do that now, and yes it's not an ideal place to be playing around with her.

CBFan

Visit site
Get off and lead her through and use the horse hops to get back on or take a log or something down there to leave permanently as a mounting block (I'm sure others will thank you!) We have a similar gate in our woods and someone has kindly made a mounting block either side of the gate for this very reason. They are lethal and should be banned. Definitely report it to the BHS.

LCH611

Visit site
I should at least explain nobody has ever let it clatter up her backside and she has only ever had this one gate clatter up her backside - 5 years ago, because she barged through it and the person holding it had to let go - it's not something that is a regular occurrence. It's never happened to her since. And she's only been mine for around 9 months - and where she stayed for the summer had no gates of this type so I have never been able to tackle the problem at all.

I have one that once caught his hip on a stable door 4 years ago when it hadn't been pushed to fully open. He has been deeply suspicious about passing through narrow gaps ever since. On the plus side however he now wouldn't dream of barging through a stable and the other morning when we got to the yard we realised it hadn't been closed properly, he had slid it open and not moved so much as a toe over the threshold all night - even when I mixed up breakfasts he didn't come to help!

I am not usually a fan of getting off to deal with things, but it does sound as though it is the only way you will be able to control this gate, and I honestly can't blame your mare for being wary. Can't you clamber back on from the gate once it is closed?

Ruftysdad

Visit site
I have had the exact same problem with my horse. He was perfect with gates, even opening and shutting them with his nose. One day on a new ride, a spring loaded gate bopped him on his rump and ever since them he has been very wary of them. Things came to a head when i was leaning down to open a gate and he suddenly shot through at a canter. I fell off and broke a rib in my back. Since then i have done a lot of work with him going through gates. He is ok with most of them except a very vicious spring loaded gate. My hacking buddy usually holds this open for us. On my own I get off. It is difficult to de sensitise him at this gate as it backs on to a very narrow busy lane.

We have reported it to Rights of Way but they do not seem to be able to sort it out

9tails

Visit site
What an awful obstacle! I'm another that would get off or avoid that particular gate, even though my own horse is great with gates. The sleepers and metal u-things would give me the heebie jeebies.

benz

Visit site
Rights of Way won't do anything, get in touch with your local Bridleways, they often have contacts in ROW depts and with landowners. You may need to fund your own gates (we did) but can be done with sponsored rides etc.

Even with all the training in the world it only takes one time for the horse to be spooked again and at best back to square one at worst someone/horse is killed/seriously injured.

I went through all this recently after 4 accidents at a gate including broken leg and ROW were useless, our Bridleway association however was amazing. It is a lot of effort but worth it in the end :)

Orca

Visit site

Two options.

I agree with this. My mare developed a gateway phobia (one specific gateway) and after a month of work, she was able to walk through calmly. It's worth resolving if at all possible (especially given it extends to other gateways) and I'd start from the ground up. Avoiding it just reinforces the belief that there is something to fear but addressing it will help her to learn that there isn't.

SarahWeston

Visit site
I think if a human had been badly and unexpectedly assaulted on one occasion we might well feel wary of the same place, or someone who looked the same (or was the same!) as our original attacker. Of course, we can rationalise things or have counselling but a horse has to learn from one off events in order to survive. I would change the language you use about the event, see if from her point of view, and instead of being cross with her, try to help her with the problem. My own horse has been clicker trained to make all the moves needed around gates and now he loves gates, all gates, and can;t wait to co-operate with the signals I give him to move over, go forward or back as required. As everything then happens much more slowly I can retain control of the gate itself and stop it banging shut on him. Hope that helps. Clickered from the saddle I would add.

MagicMelon

Visit site

Two options.

This, I'm a little surprised by the title of "my mare's big attitude problem" when it doesn't sound like she has an attitude at all, just sounds like the horse has been scared by a gate smacking her which to be honest is perfectly fair enough! If I were you, I'd probably just get off and walk through these gates.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Get off and lead her through and use the horse hops to get back on or take a log or something down there to leave permanently as a mounting block (I'm sure others will thank you!) We have a similar gate in our woods and someone has kindly made a mounting block either side of the gate for this very reason.

This ^^. If its relatively close to the yard and accessible by road, can you take something (cheap) down and leave it to use as a mounting block? I really doubt the landowner will complain (or even notice). I did this with a similar gate on a hacking route in the past, then you can just hop off and back on no problems.

caitlineloise

Visit site
This, I'm a little surprised by the title of "my mare's big attitude problem" when it doesn't sound like she has an attitude at all, just sounds like the horse has been scared by a gate smacking her which to be honest is perfectly fair enough! If I were you, I'd probably just get off and walk through these gates.

I wrote it at the time that my mare had not long dumped me on the floor (tarmac hurts when you get dumped on it) which is out of character for her, she is my pride and joy and I love her dearly. She was through the gate, it hadn't touched her, and she then fannyed around and plopped me on the floor and bogged off for home, so excuse me for being a little bit irate about it at the time of writing the thread.

I love her more than anything and as previously said she is usually a saint. I was just a little bit mortified by her behaviour after we where through the gate if I'm honest.

caitlineloise

Visit site
I agree with this. My mare developed a gateway phobia (one specific gateway) and after a month of work, she was able to walk through calmly. It's worth resolving if at all possible (especially given it extends to other gateways) and I'd start from the ground up. Avoiding it just reinforces the belief that there is something to fear but addressing it will help her to learn that there isn't.

I do a lot of practice with gates, at home and she is fine to maneuver. But the more I think about it I really don't fancy going up and practicing near this one, its a busy byway with dog walkers, cyclists etc and right near a national speed limit road. So as there is a much nicer gate just a little further along, I will just use this one. Other spring gates she is mostly fine with, just a little impatient, this one just poses lots of other obstacles to deal with which makes it such a PITA. Thank you :)